“Lovely Seafood... Just Be Very Very Careful!”
Review of Vera Cucina - CLOSED

Vera Cucina
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Seafood... Just Be Very Very Careful!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We popped in to this place for lunch and were delighted by the stunning sea view from the terrace. The owner greeted us very enthusiastically. We ordered a variety of dishes in our party, from seafood, pasta and steak. The fresh seafood or local "catch of the day" was enthusiastically pitched to my friends, and when it came they were impressed with the quality and taste. I had the calamari and it was amazing. Melt in the mouth tender. The best I've had for years. You go to this place for the seafood, that much is evident. The pasta and gnocchi were okay, but not as amazing as the fish. The owner kept on coming to our table during the meal and being very overly familiar and inappropriately friendly. He offered us more wine, and we declined. He offered again, becoming quite insistent, and so we accepted a small carafe thinking that it was gratis. As my title states, be very careful what you order and accept here...our bill was a nasty surprise. The "catch of the day" was sold under one price for my friends, but they were charged 45 euros each! For a seafood salad starter each, and a main course of one fresh fish shared between them. We were horrified. Our bill was just under 200 euros. For lunch! Even the extra "complimentary" wine that we didn't want had been added to our bill. Absolutely Crazy! Such a pity.

• Visited June 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Views”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was a repeat visit to Vera Cucina as we once lived in Italy. The best part of this restaurant is the views of the sea and Amalfi coastline. It is an open air restaurant but covered and we have always enjoyed the atmosphere and scenery. There were four of us. I ordered four cheese pasta and the other three ordered fresh fish (three people split two fish). We also had two caprisi salads, a liter of the house red wine, and limoncello after dinner. I still didn't expect the bill to be almost 250 Euro!! I'm told the fish was very good; the pasta was just average. If I'm ever in Vietri again, I will visit this restaurant because I enjoy the breezes coming off the sea and the spectacular view; however, I will make sure I am fully aware of the prices for all my selections before ordering because the cost of this lunch was ridiculous, even for four people.

• Visited June 2013
Rottenburg am Neckar
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible restaurant”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were there in 24.05.2013 to eat some pasta. We became offered a "fresh fish" without prize. At the end we had to pay 57 € only for the fish (we payed some days before in a 4 Star-Hotel-Restaurant 28 € for a "fresh fish"). Also we got without ordering a dessert, prize: 10 €.

• Visited May 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I briefly lived in this "hell hole" called Vietri sul Mare, actually a part of it, for some time and finally moved to Rome. Vietri sul Mare, sadly, is on my lists of places NEVER TO SPEND MORE THAN A DAY. It is the most backward part of the Amalfi Coast (especially in the Mountains like Raito aka RAT HOLE). You literally step 3 centuries into the past and sadly see the result of serious inbreeding. That all said, this restaurant never piqued my interests as it was very "touristy" looking and it never seemed open. To my surprise it was welcoming, comfortable and served a really good meal with excellent service. I cannot recommend this enough if you are unfortunate enough to be stuck in this backward part of the world (and I have travelled the world, trust me when I say backward). A STAR AMONG MUCK.

• Visited September 2012