“Nice and relaxing and with friendly staff”

Marianna Palace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Our stay got off to a bit of a bad start because we had booked a room each and because or flight was delayed and we arrived 20 hours or so later than expected they had let someone else have one of the rooms (we sent an email to the booking agent but the message didn't get through). However we got the second room next day and we were offered a late check out but we had other accommodation booked. We arrived late at night and were given a meal in the restaurant. Unfortunately we only had two nights there so it is hard for me to assess the hotel properly but I thought it was really nice.

The food was ok - not the best and not the worst but I didn't have enough meals to really judge. They could do with catering for vegetarians better - there is a tendency to stick ham in everything including the scrambled eggs.

The rooms were good, the pool area/ garden was nice. I don't know if there were any Brits there apart from us. The pool bar was great - not exciting but a pleasant ambience and playing mostly Greek music and with proper drinks including nice cocktails.Also the AI goes on till midnight. The staff were all really helpful (although with little English).

It is quite far from the centre of Kolymbia in fact we didn't really think there was a proper centre until we were on the bus on our way out but there is quite a lot there. There are also bars and shops nearby. There is a bus stop nearby for days out. I would have liked to have been there a day or two longer.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank SiouxieSue
There are newer reviews for Marianna Palace Hotel

Reviewed October 11, 2010

we have just returned from a lovely holiday at the Marianna Palace hotel. Everywhere was spotlessly clean,the food was nice with enough variety to please old and young and the surroundings ie. pool,gardens,etc..were well maintained. The staff were very friendly and although their english was limited,it wasn't a problem. I would recommend this hotel for anybody wanting a relaxing,quiet and child friendly holiday,but if you're looking to be entertained rather than just enjoying each others' company,then i'm afraid...it's probably not for you!?

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank mistbell
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed at the Marianna for 11 days after moving from another hotel in the same area. We would like to thank them for saving our holiday! This hotel is comfortable, friendly and worth the money. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The food is very nice and quite a choice. As there were not many English visitors during our stay the food labels took a little working out, however for some of them they did try and put English too. The pool bar area is comfortable and the variety of drinks on offer was good - also included cocktails (4 or 5 choices) in the all inclusive deal. The chocolate cake at 4 o'clock is very nice although there are other cakes and biscuits too. The staff at the pool bar are very friendly as are the rest of the staff at the hotel. Pool area was very quiet and plenty of sunbeds and parasols and olive trees for shade and the pool was clean . There is a childrens pool also and a variety of swings and slides for them to use. We would definitely go back to this hotel, although not much there for teenagers to do. There is a games room and a table tennis and pool table and also a volleyball net. The gardens are well kept and pleasant. I must also mention the cleaners who are very polite and friendly. The pool bar is open from 11.00am until midnight.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank trebor50
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I don’t understand all the negative reviews this hotel has had. We booked this as a late deal with Teletext, paying maybe £200-300 less than what appeared to be similar holidays on offer from major tour operators, and were very pleasantly surprised. We’ve stayed in various types of accommodation in Greece from poor to very good and this hotel ranks with the best of them.

Mr Longmuir pretty much summed it up in his excellent review of 4th July, but just to add a few comments:

We arrived at about 02:00 in the morning and were greeted in a friendly manner but no refreshments were offered and we were merely “pointed to our room”. If you find the same, make sure you have at least a bottle of water with you as you’ll find none in the room. Also ask for help with the air-con remote, as the room on arrival was very warm and it took us till the next day to sort ours out (although I’m sure a 4 year old child could do it in 2 minutes).

The room, although not ultra modern, was tidy and kept spotlessly clean with bed linen and towels changed daily whether you wanted this or not. Plenty of wardrobe and cupboard space.

I would accept the food is maybe not as varied as some 4* hotels in other parts of the world but it was good and we certainly had no problems choosing something we liked. We particularly enjoyed the lunches and evening meals where the salads and some of the meat and fish dishes were lovely. If there was one fault I would say it would be the restriction of fresh fruit at, lunch and dinner to one choice (grapes one day, oranges or peaches the next etc.) which if you did not get in the restaurant early, were snapped up by previous diners and not replenished. The mousses and little cakes for desert were excellent.

The beer was OK (it said Magnus Magister on the tap). Good choice of spirits (not branded but tasted OK). White and red wines very drinkable (both chilled). Choice of four cocktails: San Francisco, Tequila Sunrise, Blue Moon and S** on the Beach – all made to order, not out of a machine like some 4* hotels we’ve stayed at.

The pool had plenty of beds (hire the cushions if you find them too hard) and shades, but what was especially nice were the olive trees dotted around which we, along with a number of others, chose to sit under in the dappled shade.

The staff were all courteous and friendly and always greeted us with a smile and a hello.

We did two trips out: one to Lindos, another to Rhodos town, both on public bus and both well worth the €3 per person each way. Bus stop just across the road.

Went to the beach one day (15 minute walk), which turned out to be coarse pebbles, which were crippling to walk on without shoes so we weren’t impressed.

The hotel (along with what we could see in the resort and a lot of the rest of the island) was noticeably under occupied, even at this peak time.

One last comment - we were the only Brits in the hotel amongst a couple of Germans, a few Italians, with the remainder Eastern European who we thought a little unsociable so we quickly gave up trying to extract a smile or a hello. This did not concern us unduly as we like our own company, but if you want a holiday where you meet and chat to lot of people, this possibly is not the place for you (although the girl on reception said they get more Brits in September/October).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GrandadKev
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Almost The Best Holiday Ever

Rhodes is a beautifully hot as well as interestingly historically island.

The Old City – the second place of refuge for the Knights of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitaller) after their eviction by the Turks from the Holy Land, is a photographer’s paradise.
(I took 76 photographs during my visit to The Knights’ Castle, The Grand Masters’ Palace, and the Knights’ hospital and garden (full of older Greek sculptures.)

Marianna Palace Hotel

I remain confused as to why there are so many negative reviews of The Marianna Palace Hotel, Kolymbia, Rhodes, for I have nothing but the highest praise for this family-run hotel. (The Assistant Manager is called ‘Marianna’, so I can only assume that the hotel was named after her.)

After a 9 hour flight delay, I finally arrived at the hotel at 05.00hrs to be welcomed by anything but a “grumpy old man” [see one of the earlier reviews] who presented me with a cold platter of meats, pickles, bread and bottled water. From that moment on, I knew that I had chosen well.

This exclusively ‘all-inclusive hotel’ (no tacky plastic wrist-bands) is situated in the quiet village of Kolymbia, opposite a mini-market selling postcards, cigarettes (international brands) at €3.80 each, wines, spirits, etc., and is one minute’s walk from a bus stop which takes tourists to all parts of the island.

It is 2/3 storeys high, and decorated to the highest standards, inside and out.

Marble tiles are everywhere, in the bedrooms, the restaurant, and reception areas, the accommodation area surrounds a quiet garden of olive trees, vines and immaculately tended lawn areas.

For UK readers, the bedrooms resemble those you can find in Travelodges – but of a much higher standard. (For example, my double wardrobe contained 36 coat hangers!!) The woodwork is tastefully decorated in “Shaker” style pastel covers, and my room included a TV, fridge, and air-con. And there were no cockroaches – though the mosquitoes outside tended to favour the ladies!!

Towels and bedding were changed daily (even though I attempted to neatly fold my towels in order to mislead the cleaners into thinking that some had not been used).

My room was cleaned on a daily basis and to the highest standard.

To my delight: there was no daily entertainment (‘animation’) team, nor was there any evening ‘entertainment’ (so-called), meaning that when I went to bed there was nothing to disturb my sleep during “the wee small hours” – as the Scots put it.

The staff, (reception, restaurant, pool-bar, cleaners) were always welcoming, smiling and extremely helpful in every way. (When the mini-market ran out of my brand of cigarettes, Reception offered to purchase as many as I wanted and to bring them to the hotel. In fact, they were in my bedroom two hours later!)

Pool-Bar: Open at 11.00hrs until late (as late as the last guest, it seemed to me) served international spirits and drinks (eg. Gordon’s Gin, Campari, Whisky) in extremely liberal quantities, as well as soft drinks, freshly-ground coffees, and teas (herbal) as well as ‘standard’.

Indeed, from around 15.00hrs until around 16.30hrs the pool-bar serves a kind of afternoon tea with delicious Greek cakes (most of them containing chocolate!).

Pools (large and childrens’): Were cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis. There was an abundance of sun-loungers (and no Germans to pre-book them at 04.00hrs!) There were “mattresses” available for hire from reception (€1 – daily). The music from the pool-bar was not intrusive. They provided a perfect area for “Rest and Re-creation” and for soaking up the sun. When I was there, it was 91° in the shade!

Restaurant: Previous reviews seemed to be unnecessarily negative.
The restaurant was immaculately presented. All the chairs were “dressed”. The tables had ‘real’ linen tablecloths (not the usual ‘rip-off’ paper ones). And there were fresh flowers and candles on most of the tables.

There were a number of comments about the ‘repetitive’ nature of not only breakfast, but also lunch and dinner. [Though most of the reviewers could not spell ‘repetitive’ correctly!!!]

I would ask a question: How many of us have a “varied” breakfast, changing on a daily basis?

I maintained a daily record of all the meals served during my stay here.

All the cooked meals were ‘hot’ and not ‘lukewarm’ or ‘cold’ as other reviewers have stated. And there never was a “grumpy” man berating guests for taking too much food (as other reviewers have stated).

Breakfast: Fruit; cereals; bread (5 types); boiled, fried, scrambled eggs (sometimes with mushrooms/tomatoes/onions); sausages (admittedly frankfurter style); beans; fried bacon (and not the ‘white bony type’ you often find abroad); cold meats (always at least 4 types); cheeses (again, at least 4 types); sliced tomatoes; coffees; teas and juices.

(If you normally eat healthily fried bread, fried bacon, fried eggs, fried pork sausages, and drink instant coffee – as though that were a typical ‘Brit’ breakfast – then go look elsewhere!!!)

Lunch: My first lunch offered ‘Calamari’ – which was perfectly cooked.
Each lunch menu offered an enormous quantity of salads (Greek-style) and others, to complement the main course. And, yes, there were ‘menu’ signs above each dish offered.

Occasionally I did recognise vegetables from the previous evening being offered in some of the salads. But do we not re-cycle ‘left-overs’ from time to time – especially if they are ‘tarted up’ by the addition of other ingredients including a variety of delicious dressings ?

Every lunch menu offered at least a pasta meal, a vegetarian meal, one fish dish and two meat dishes.

The same variety of choices was on offer for Dinner.

To save time, I have randomly selected two days’ menus and offer them below:

One (sample) Day:

Coffee
Tea

Lunch:

Calamari
Meatballs (in tomato and onion sauce)
Vegetarian Pasta
Roast Turkey

Frites
Potatoes Dauphinoise
Peas
Broccoli

Greek Desserts (small – delicious – cakes)
Ice Cream (6 varieties)

Braised beef
Vegetarian option

Cauliflower & cheese sauce
Mixed Vegetable casserole

Greek Desserts (as above – but different choices)
Ice Cream

Dinner:

Soup

Roast Beef
Roast Pork
Vegetarian option (with pasta)
Tuna steaks

Casseroled Potatoes & Onions in vegetable stock
Peas and baby onions
Casserole of mixed peppers in a herb sauce
Runner beans

Greek Desserts (as above – but different ones)
Ice Cream
Wine Jellies

The Guests (during my stay):
Were ‘international’ – Polish, UK, Russian and very few Germans.
Age-range: 3 months – 90 years old.

I am normally quite a ‘reclusive’ person when on holiday – dealing with a multitude of people on a daily basis – so, all I want/seek, is peace and quiet.

However, due in no small part to the ‘ambience’ of The Marianna Palace Hotel, I chatted away quite freely to a number of guests – all of whom were delighted by all the hotel offered, in spite of the previous negative reviews, which filled them (and me) with trepidation.

Let me re-assure you – not only was this almost the best holiday I have had in a number of years – The Marianna Palace Hotel is certainly the one hotel I shall be returning to in October.

If you are looking for a ‘lager-loutish’, noisy, discotheque intrusive, perpetual fish and chips / hamburger or beefburger and chips at every meal, Irish Bar, hotel – then look elsewhere.

(Almost) The best in a long, long time !!!

MY CONGRATULATIONS TO HOTEL MARIANNA PALACE, KOLYMBIA, RHODES – to its ever smiling and helpful staff;
- to the chefs and waiting staff;
- to reception;
- to night staff.

Ignore the negative reviews.

If you want to “chill” in an olive tree garden surrounding the pools – seek easy transport throughout the island, desire a “quiet” night, and warmly welcoming staff –
then MARIANNA PALACE is for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
9  Thank graeme_longmuir1
Reviewed May 30, 2010

After looking at the reviews for the hotel we became worried that we had booked a totally rubbish hotel, but actually it wasn't so bad. We arrived at 2am and there was a night priter to welcome us who spoke very little english, however at that time in the morning we were not interested in a chat, he did offer us something to eat but couldn't offer anything to drink as all the bars were closed. We got to our room which was confortable and clean, it was slighlty dated with a champangne coloured bathroom suite which looked like it was in need of replacement, but it did the job. We went very early on in thier season, the hotel had only been open for a week and they were in the throws of repairing and redecorating a large protion of the hotel ready for the peak season. Our room was clean and tidy, they changed the bedding and towels everyday, but they could have cleaned the appartment better - they did the basics ie sweeping the floor and wiping the bathroom round but that was it. Considering the hotel was so empty - there was about 20 couples there (I should note at this point that we were the only english couple there, the rest were german) - after the 3rd day we had very little hot water, it was warm but on 2 days the shower was cold....The food was ok, there was enough each day but very little choice if you are veggie and yes on occassion the food was simply remixed andserved again, but that doesn't make it a bad thing, in general the food was quite good. The place were it is, is very quiet, there are a few bars and resturants, but not many and the beach is stoney at one end but sandy at the other which is ok. This hotel is a the title states....good value for money. If you are expecting 5 star service in a hotel which is a budget price then you will be disappointed, but for a budget hotel it is good, we had good weather and because it was quite there was no fighting over the sunbeds or tables at the bar.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bristolian_Traveller
Reviewed October 22, 2009

The coffee was great, best of any hotel. The room was comfortable, dirty, but comfortable. 5 days out of 13 no hot water at all. I did point out to the staff the cold water was warmer than the hot. Nice simming pool, but only one ladder, the gardens were grass and olive trees, not extensive as described. The beach is a good twelve minutes walk away, and the area though quiet is mucky. The staff were friendly. But the food. Stale, rehashed. The Germans complained bitterly. I enjoyed the toast for breakfast, chips pizza for lunch and ate out evenings as it was worst then. Afraid this hotel is the worst we have stayed in and struggle to find anything good to write.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple