“Excellent hotel and really friendly staff”

and 1 more site!
Atlantica Aegean Blue
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Atlantica Aegean Blue with Thompsons and cannot fault it.
The resort of Kolumbia comprises of several 4/5 star hotels with a few tourist shops / restuarants but the local area is generally run down with empty buildings so there is not much to see immediately outside the hotel.
However the hotel itself was very clean and well maintained. We were fortunate to have an apartment by the pool which was very clean and had both a bath and a seperate shower. The room had a 'glazed' divider to make a second bedroom for my two young boys (7&10) with a good view of the pools.
The fridge was stocked with a selection of drinks and whilst this was not restocked during our stay we never drank all the drinks as the hotel was all inclusive!
The pools were cold, but once you were in (keeping shoulders below the water) it was fine. Get up early to place your pool towels out on the loungers (its not just the Germans!) The beach is a bit barren and is pebble and drops away quickly within a few metres of entering the sea. However there is a 'waterpark' right next to the hotel which is free to use, although drinks / refreshments here were not part of the all inclusive package so I had to walk the fifty yards back to the hotel if we wanted free drinks (to be honest this was not a problem at all).
What made our holiday was the staff, they were all so friendly and happy, genuinally they were. The Thompson reps were never in your face, but they were always around if you needed them and the entertainment staff really made it a fun place to stay. I must make a special mention of Seva at the poolside bar as she was a 'darling' (her favourite expression) but to be fair all the staff were really friendly.
We hired a car from the Rodos car hire rep who sits in the hotel reception foyer everyday (their rates were the cheapest - i did try some of the other hire places outside the hotel but they were not cheaper) he was very knowledgable and if you told him where you wanted to go he will tell you the best (free) places to park and times to go - he had photos of everywhere on his ipad!
Rhodes town is good for shopping - but be prepared to be constantly approached to eat at the many restuarants - all set inside an old fortified town.
Lindos beach is a lovely sandy beach and very shallow which was good for the children. Free parking is nearby which is clearly signposted.
Food at the hotel was good and very well presented although if you went at 'opening' times there was a rush and it was a bit of a free for all. If you went to the restuarant about 20mins later there was no queues to get in (there was always plenty of tables) but as another reviewer said it was like being at a school canteen, albeit a very nice one!
You have the opportunity of going to an Al a Carte resturant,unfortunately we chose to go Greek which was at a neighbouring hotel and this was terrible, service was very slow (we waited over an hour for our starters!) and I never knew that french fries were a typical Greek dish! We wished we had stayed at the Aegean Blue for either an Italian or Asian meal.
A point to note is that if you have a day out exploring let the restuarant staff know the day before and they will prepare a cool bag for you which you can then fill with as many sandwiches, rolls, drinks as you want.
My boys enjoyed the kids club (Rocky Rob was their favourite rep) but they only went for a couple of afternoon sessions.
The evening entertainment was medicre and better if you had a drink (there is no real talent but they do try hard!). Please note that the wind got a bit breezy in the evenings.
Another important thing is that we were advised that two of the three local cashpoints were empty and had been for some months so take cash with you for shopping.
Overall a really nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment by the pool (the noise is not that bad and the outside entertainment was genera...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sean H

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from rhodes where we stayed at the aegean blue for 2 weeks. There were 18 of us altogether as we were getting married and everyone of us agreed that the hotel was excellent.
The stand out feature of this hotel is the staff, especially the bar staff and especially Nikos who was always entertaining and always went the extra mile to look after you - he was a star!
The hotel is very clean and tidy, the grounds around the pool are very pretty with plenty of palm trees and bridges across the pool (pool was a bit on the cold side but it was a good hangover cure). Food was varied but not of the highest quality. You definitely wont go hungry though!
Dont expect too much from the entertainment however there were one or two decent acts like the beatles and the entertainment team put a lot of effort in.
I can highly reccomend renting a car from rodos cars. I had never driven abroad before but you soon get used to it and I'll be doing it on every holiday from now on.
Head south and take a look at lindos and st pauls bay. We headed right to the bottom of the island and there are some lovely views along the route.
We did all get bitten by the mozzies so beware.
I also cannot reccommend kalithea springs as a wedding destination highly enough - absolutely stunning!
All in all a brilliant holiday and amazing wedding!
Reccomended!!!

1  Thank Gemma G
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The ask inclusiveWe wanted a hotel that would offer a good kids club and activities to allow my wife and I to have time to relax during our holiday.
First met me say, the staff in this hotel are the best I've ever come across, friendly, happy, and always attentive.
The hotel is set in a fairly run down town with many empty buildings, so there is not much locally to recommend except the excellent nikkos restaurant, which I have also reviewed.
Rhodes town and Lindos are not far away, and we rented a car from rodos, and we're very happy with their price and service. The all inclusive did cannot be famed for choice, but even so it can be a bit cafeteria like.
You do get the chance to go a la carte in two restaurants in the hotel complex, or many in the sister hotels locally.
The entertainment was good, great Beatles and Abba nights, supplemented by a fair attempt by the club entertainers.
The kids clubs were great and my four year old loved them.
The hotel also featured a great water park which was again well staffed and enjoyable.
Wi fi was available throughout the complex which was very welcome indeed.
The only real criticism I can make is the thirty euro charge for the safe box which was ridiculous.
Overall,a great holiday destination for those with kids seeking a little free time too, and I'll say it again, wonderful staff.

3  Thank Eddie G
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Having just returned on the 12th June 2013 from a very good holiday at the Atlantic Aegean Blue I would like to give my feed back on this holiday. We booked the holiday as a family myself and my husband, my daughter and son in law and my twin granddaughters who have just turned four years old. My daughter picked this hotel as Thomson said it had brilliant childrens activities.

The hotel was very good and the hotel staff excellent. They were very friendly and helpful. The one comment I would make about the family rooms is that they are the wrong way around. The children's beds are next to the patio doors so that you have to go past the children's beds to go out on the balcony. This was a bit of a negative. Our room which was a double room was really good.
.The food was excellent plenty of choice although the kids corner selection was exactly the same and never changed. There was a better chance of a selection of food for the children from the main buffet. The meal that we booked at the Italian restaurant was not what we expected my husband enjoyed his but it was not as my daughter, son in law and myself expected. So perhaps
this was because we were in Greece.
The pool area was very good and there was a good selection of pools although the big negative was that not one of the pools even the children's paddling pool was heated. Even the Jacuzzi was cold. We found this a very big negative as after five minutes of being in the water my grand daughters were shivering. This was a very big disappointment.
The beech was extremely poor just a shingle beech it was not worth sitting on and so we did not use it as it was pretty difficult just to walk across it. This was nothing to do with the hotel Thomson advertise as close to a beech but they do not say how bad it is.
The main let down of the holiday was the children's entertainment. We booked a family holiday to cater for the children and had told them there would be a children's disco. The confusion from this was most upsetting for my grand daughters. The German reps did a children's disco at 6.15pm when the children could get up on the stage and dance with the different characters. My grand daughters really enjoyed this it was one of the main things they wanted on their holiday. The Thomson disco was on later and was totally different. The Thomson reps with the characters danced on the stage but the children were not allowed on with them. This was impossible to explain to my two four year old grand daughters. When I questioned the Thomson rep about it she said it was all to do with health and safety. She also said that if my grand daughter's enjoyed the German children's disco then we should continue to go there. Not the response I expected. The adult shows which were on each night were terrible. So bad they were embarrassing. The only good night was when a Beatles tribute band came in. So don't go to this hotel and expect good night time entertainment.
On the whole this was a really good holiday and we enjoyed it but it could have been better.
Make sure you get a room as far away from the entertainment area as it is all outside at night and is very loud and can be heard clearly in the bedrooms. This hotel is a 4 star.

Christine Cruddas
Scrooby
Donaster
England

Room Tip: Make sure you are as far away from the entertainment area as possible as the entertainment is outsid...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank christine c
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lovely hotel and excellent location and A/C was on in the rooms Food was good and similar to Atlantica Princess with a little more variety. Daniel would love the waterpark and the activities around the pools. The evening entertainment was good although the breeze sometimes made things a little cold after nightfall

Room Tip: Beach/pool view rooms in the main hotel suited us beeter
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Don W
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We returned yesterday from a fab week at the Atlantica Aegean Blue. The food, facilities and staff here were first class. We had a great view of the mountains, sea and pool from our room (257) and the beds were really comfortable with the room having plenty of space for our family of 4.
The onsite waterpark was a big plus and my 2 children (aged 4 and 9) enjoyed the slides and the lazy river. There were always plenty of sunbeds and thd lifeguards were really on the ball, no standing around posing here, they were really vigilant, which was very reassuring.
The pool area was really attractive and the Aegean snack bar was ideal for the children to get snacks (hot dogs, pop corn, toasties, chips etc) throughout the day.
The evening entertainment wasn't really our cup of tea but each to their own. There are 3 small playgrounds which my daughter enjoyed.
The resort of Kolymbia doesn't have a lot going on but there are some nice bars and tourist shops. The Star Bar was nice for a visit and had good facilities for the kids (mini golf, play area) and was lovely and clean. The resort is a great starting point to enjoy visits to Lindos and Rhodes Town, both worth the effort and really cheap on the local buses which stop right outside the hotel. Lindos in particular is beautiful, with amazing views from the Acropolis. Do the donkeys a favour and walk your all-inclusive food off rather than riding them up to admire the views as we saw rather large tourists riding the donkeys and the poor things looked exhausted.
Lots of people have mentioned Mosquitos. Only my hubby got bitten and only twice (from sitting on the balcony late in the evening), the rest of us didn't get bitten at all.
Overall, we loved the hotel and would consider a return visit. As I said earlier, the facilities are great, the food varied and the staff helpful and friendly. The only downside was that as other reviewers have stated, the beach is very uncomfortable to walk on, although the sea is lovely. We wish we were still there!

6  Thank CazzaMac74
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was the second time staying at this hotel and it was just as good as the first. The staff are awesome,so friendly,always got time to talk to the kids( mine fell in love with Aphrodite).The entertainment staff worked so hard, constantly something to do. The rooms were cleaned daily and bedding changed. There was a good variety of food, with themed nights also, in the buffet restaurant. I don't think there's a time of day where you can't get something to eat which is handy for the kids. The water park was great with comfy deckchairs and there was always several lifeguards around. There is an arcade and table tennis table, although i think there should be at least another 1 or 2 tables as we did have to wait in a queue sometimes. One tip: set your alarm to get your towels on the sun loungers! God only knows what time these people get up! But you get this everywhere you go i guess, i'd just forgotten! We hired a car for 3 days and I would recommend a day trip to the old town, it's so quaint and buzzing. And also a trip to Lindos which is absolutely stunning. All in all we had a brilliant holiday and will definitely be returning next year!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank louiseh39
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea
Casa Cook Rhodes
Casa Cook Rhodes
#3 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Atlantica Aegean Blue? Share your experiences!