We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Atlantica Aegean Blue with Thompsons and cannot fault it.
The resort of Kolumbia comprises of several 4/5 star hotels with a few tourist shops / restuarants but the local area is generally run down with empty buildings so there is not much to see immediately outside the hotel.
However the hotel itself was very clean and well maintained. We were fortunate to have an apartment by the pool which was very clean and had both a bath and a seperate shower. The room had a 'glazed' divider to make a second bedroom for my two young boys (7&10) with a good view of the pools.
The fridge was stocked with a selection of drinks and whilst this was not restocked during our stay we never drank all the drinks as the hotel was all inclusive!
The pools were cold, but once you were in (keeping shoulders below the water) it was fine. Get up early to place your pool towels out on the loungers (its not just the Germans!) The beach is a bit barren and is pebble and drops away quickly within a few metres of entering the sea. However there is a 'waterpark' right next to the hotel which is free to use, although drinks / refreshments here were not part of the all inclusive package so I had to walk the fifty yards back to the hotel if we wanted free drinks (to be honest this was not a problem at all).
What made our holiday was the staff, they were all so friendly and happy, genuinally they were. The Thompson reps were never in your face, but they were always around if you needed them and the entertainment staff really made it a fun place to stay. I must make a special mention of Seva at the poolside bar as she was a 'darling' (her favourite expression) but to be fair all the staff were really friendly.
We hired a car from the Rodos car hire rep who sits in the hotel reception foyer everyday (their rates were the cheapest - i did try some of the other hire places outside the hotel but they were not cheaper) he was very knowledgable and if you told him where you wanted to go he will tell you the best (free) places to park and times to go - he had photos of everywhere on his ipad!
Rhodes town is good for shopping - but be prepared to be constantly approached to eat at the many restuarants - all set inside an old fortified town.
Lindos beach is a lovely sandy beach and very shallow which was good for the children. Free parking is nearby which is clearly signposted.
Food at the hotel was good and very well presented although if you went at 'opening' times there was a rush and it was a bit of a free for all. If you went to the restuarant about 20mins later there was no queues to get in (there was always plenty of tables) but as another reviewer said it was like being at a school canteen, albeit a very nice one!
You have the opportunity of going to an Al a Carte resturant,unfortunately we chose to go Greek which was at a neighbouring hotel and this was terrible, service was very slow (we waited over an hour for our starters!) and I never knew that french fries were a typical Greek dish! We wished we had stayed at the Aegean Blue for either an Italian or Asian meal.
A point to note is that if you have a day out exploring let the restuarant staff know the day before and they will prepare a cool bag for you which you can then fill with as many sandwiches, rolls, drinks as you want.
My boys enjoyed the kids club (Rocky Rob was their favourite rep) but they only went for a couple of afternoon sessions.
The evening entertainment was medicre and better if you had a drink (there is no real talent but they do try hard!). Please note that the wind got a bit breezy in the evenings.
Another important thing is that we were advised that two of the three local cashpoints were empty and had been for some months so take cash with you for shopping.
Overall a really nice place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The location of this hotel offers the most amazing views of the sapphire Mediterranean seas. The perfect place for families and children of all ages. So much to do, no one will ever be bored. If you're travelling with little ones, they'll have a ball splashing around in the children's pool and letting off steam in the playground. Direct access to the beach, club- style facilities and organized activities make the Atlantica Agean Blue the ideal holiday for everyone! Number of rooms :396 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Bookgreece.com so you can book your Atlantica Aegean Blue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Atlantica Aegean Blue Hotel Kolimbia
- Atlantica Aegean Blue Hotel
- Hotel Atlantica Aegean Blue
- Atlantica Aegean Blue Rhodes, Greece