“Best holiday yet!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Best holiday yet!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

An enjoyable family holiday. A wide range of activities for all ages.
FOOD
---------
A wide range of food. Waffles, pancakes, sausages, and eggs were excellent! Small children's buffet serving chips, pizza and chicken nuggets, best to go to normal buffet for kids because there is more selection. Light snacks in between meals childrens cocktails are delish. All in all food 5*

POOL
---------
Big pool can fit 100 lilos in. Bridges over pools can be very slippery at times so must take caution. My three year old daughter refused to get in at the shallow end and decided to jump in the deep end so beware of that if you have mischievous kids. All in all pool 4.5*.

Entertainment
-------------------
Entertainment suitable for all the family. Mini disco for all languages at around 8pm and shows from 9pm until 10pm. Acrobats amazing, not like some crummy ones you get. Greek dancing is fun for all the family my daughters aged 9 and 3 joined in, so did my wife! Love Boat tribute was good. Pop stars night was funny. All in all 5*.

Beach
---------
Beach wasn't very good but big enough for about 50 people. All in all 2*.

An amazing holiday with great kids club and amazing food would reccomend this for young families especially.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are great if you have kids because there is a small garden area for them to let of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent 11 nights here in May. There was myself, my husband and our two children aged 5 & 4.

The hotel was lovely, very spacious, clean and well equipped. The rooms are excellent, we had a family bungalow room which over looked the swimming pool and the sea.

The pool area is large and plenty of sunbeds to go round, the pool bar is at one end of the pool and the lunch restaurant/ snack area is at the other end. You can get free ice cream throughout the day from the pool bar.

The waterpark is brill, we spent more time here than at the main pool. The kids loved it.

Food - the food is lovely, loads of choice, very hot and always something for everyone.

Kids club - my two loved club. The sessions are 2hours in the morning and then 2hours in the afternoon. 3 times a week they do an evening session. We used the club daily but only one session aday. This worked well for us.

Kids disco - every evening they do a kids show of 1hour games, dancing and the mascot dances. My two thought this was great. The only moan I would have about this is that it was far to loud!

Downsides
And this is only being picky.
The swimming pool water is freezing! My little boy was only in the pool for 15mins and he was so cold his lips went blue! I appreciate that it was early in the season but as this is a 5star family hotel I think something should be done about this. Also the jacuzzi was cold?? Why would you want to sit in a freezing cold jacuzzi!
Bottled water is not free here. You have to pay extra for bottled water. We found this really odd as all other 4 & 5 star hotels we have stayed in bottled water is free.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to families. We had a great time. If you haven't got children this isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank Busymumof2-lib
Hull
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I write this review after spending only 4 days at the aegean blue. My partner and I (with our 6 year old son) went to Rhodes to view potential wedding venues for 2014, we stayed at both the Aegean blue and the neighbouring Holiday Village Rhodes.

The Aegean blue I must say is set out pretty much perfectly with a lovely driveway leading up the plush reception and grounds that run right to the beach. The reception when you enter the hotel is very impressive and the stay seemed fairly friendly.

This all seems very nice and to be honest if we hadn’t stayed in the holiday village we may have view the hotel differently. For us the Aegean blue reminded us of older hotels which had predominantly been an adults hotel, the room which we we’re allocated was small and very simple typical room for a couple with an extra bed thrown in for our son. We had a balcony which I suppose was a partial seaview however the room felt dated and too small for a family, there were simply not enough wardrobes etc to accommodate a family. However I must add that everything in the room worked perfectly as it should and the beds were comfortable.

We had friends staying at the hotel at the same time and they had been given a family room, the difference was quite staggering, lots of space an improved bathroom and a sliding patrician between child and adult areas, I’m sure if we had got a room similar I would have viewed things slightly better.

I should say that the gardens around the hotel are impeccable and very well kept, but as we all know gardens mean insects so take your repellent. Mosquito’s too are rather prevalent so room doors should be kept closed the majority of the time or you will get bitten, evening entertainment is another time they seem to come out.

The restaurant was main bug bear of the stay, it was way over crowned at meal times, breakfast and dinner where a nightmare unless you arrived as soon as the restaurant opened. There were several times during meal times were you could hear the inevitable sound of crashing plates as people had collided in the carnage around the food, the queues for some things could take up to 10 minutes. The food on the whole wasn’t too bad (fairly average) with the selection at lunch and breakfast fairly limited. In fairness I don’t usually have the option of 10 different foods in a morning so not really much to complain about.

The evening entertainment was mediocre, the Thompson reps put a fair amount of effort in but sadly it missed the finesse of more professional shows and even the I5 live entertainment of the holiday village.

However the hotel does have one last massive plus point and that is the water park, we spent a fair few hours in there most slides are suitable for a 7 year old and can keep the occupied for a whole day a very good onsite attraction. It does seem a little bizarre that the food and drinks in the water park are not part of the all-inclusive despite been exactly the same as the hotel. I should just add that the hotel pools where a little cold but it was only May.

All in all, the hotel is not the 5 star accommodation Thomson advertise as, it possibly in some areas doesn’t even make 4. It’s the little touches like free bottled water, a decent fitness centre and good evening entertainment that make hotels 5 star this really didn’t have this. The restaurant needs to be double the size with a lot more staff to accommodate the guests, serving drinks in paper cups is also little disappointing, I’m sure plastic would be suffice.

Would I stay here again, the answer is no. Not because it’s particularly bad more because it’s just a solid average. Having stayed in other Thompson / First choice hotels I would recommend those – Holiday village Tenerife and Suite Hotel Atlantis Fuerteventura are all superior to this hotel as is the neighbouring Holiday village Rhodes. My final reccoemndation would be to hire a car (Rodos Cars)and travel round the island, ive never been one for doing this but at 33 I must have turned a cultural corner, we really enjoyed going around the island particually to Lindos and Rhodes Town amongst other places.

Room Tip: Family rooms are spacious
2 Thank Paulh4Hull
Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

we stayed in mid may as a first family holiday with our 10 month old, and were really excited after having read lots of really good reviews on here. I have to say that our first impression wasn't great as we arrived really late from the airport and as there was a coach load of us it took over an hour to check in as there was only one person on the desk. There were drinks but it didn't make the time go any quicker! we were pleased though that the restaurant was still open so at least we got a late night snack.

The next day though we had an explore of the hotel and were impressed by the different bars, restaurant and activities on offer. We were even surprised at the mini market as it wasn't as expensive as most hotel shops. the indoor soft-play area for small children is really good to let toddlers have a play without worrying about them falling over or running off. The kids club had lots on offer, although less so for under 3's but the toddler sessions were good, and the staff were so friendly and seemed to be genuinely interested in the children.

The food was really good with different things every meal, but you could always get a Greek salad! I would say that some nights the food in the restaurant was excellent so pick and choose when you go to the al a carte restaurant. there is lots of choice of food for children, but I would say that some of the dishes in the 'kids corner' was saltier than the regular food. The wine in the restaurant wasn't the best I've tasted but it was good enough to have with food. The bars were good, with a choice of cocktails and friendly staff.

The pools and waterpark were great especially for kids and they never seemed to be too busy which is good if you've got really little ones.
We had a deluxe room with a terrace and I was a little surprised at its size as I thought it would be bigger, but it was really nice with a comfy bed and sun loungers outside. A word of warning though, use the do not disturb sign if you are in your room. Nearly every day we had one of the housekeepers let them selves in to our room without knocking.

the resort of Kolimbia is a bit of a waste land with a few shops dotted about and not really anywhere to eat but we did find a really nice bar that had a play area for kids and crazy golf. I can understand why it is like that though as all of the hotels in the area are all inclusive and guests seem to stay within the hotels so there isn't really a demand for anything outside.

I would definitely recommend hiring a car to get about. Lindos and Rhodes town are worth a look, and it was nice to get out to a traditional Greek town and eat traditional Greek food.

I think we picked a good time to go as the hotel didn't seem full, so whilst meal times were busy and the pool loungers were taken early on, it wasn't heaving. I think it must get so much busier in the school holidays and I think this would have spoilt it a little bit for us if it had been any busier.

1 Thank RoseNewell
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Got back last week. Fantastic holiday. I have disability issues, and had no problems at all. There was too much for my daughter to do each day. The food was varied and themed, and i'm fussy as hell, but was very well fed at every meal, and in between snacks. The staff are super efficient, friendly, and all seem proud to work there. The sea was glorious to swim in, with the gentle swells just returning you to shore. The pool was my 5 year olds favourite bit. The water park will keep even the most active kid happy. I really cannot say anything bad about this hotel. The maid gets a mention for really going the extra mile with arranging things that the wife just loved. The place was spotless. Bath/shower great and fast. Entertainment was a bit ropey at evening time, but the kids loved it, and it was aimed at them. I'm told by other guests that there are great trips out, historical/sightseeing. We just stopped within the complex, due to my disabilities, and the days were busy, varied, and great fun. We all slept well, and hope to return next year. To Liam, the Thomsons guy, George loves you. Thanks for a great holiday.

1 Thank Jay150469
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went to this hotel for Easter break.stayed for two weeks.weather was a bit dodgy but hotel couldn't help that.
Arrival was very late in the evening.actually with the time difference and clocks going forward it was about 3.30 am when we got to our room.i would avoid getting hotel to deliver your bags to the room at that time of night as we waited nearly an hour for our bags.they need more porters on at that time of night to make it speeder.
Room was nice and clean,cleaners came in most days.made beds and replaced towels.my only problem was they kept taking the small bath mat thing which was a pain as the floors in these hotels can get very slippery.
Food was served in the main restaurant only as I went at start of season.plenty of it and a several different dishes served up.they did a kids corner too for the little ones.i would only grade the food as a 4 star as not a lot of show cooking going on.again could have been cause we were the first lot in for the season.
The best thing by far was the kids reps.i have never known such attentive bunch!
Even when they left off for the night they would come and have a drink with us and chat with the kids and families in the lobby. Special mention for Ben and teise....bromance!...lol
The only main problem and everyone said this is the water park owned by the hotel next door.i went to the hotel as I said at Easter school holidays with my kids ages 6 and 8.the hotel doesn't open the waterpark til may 1st so we all could look at it but it was closed.They were preparing to open it cause they were jet washing it and filling some of the slide pools with water.i would say to the management...if u open the hotel then open the waterpark!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank michelleellis20
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Have just returned home after a 2 week stay at the Atlantica Aegean Blue (11th- 25th May) We travelled as a young couple both in our early 20's.

ARRIVAL
Speedy check-in. Greeted with champagne, beer or orange juice. First impressions were good. We arrived late at night so went straight up to our room after check-in.

ROOM
Couldn't fault our room whatsoever. We were in the main building over looking reception. Our room was very spacious with plenty of storage space. The bed was to die for! We wanted to bring it home with us! The room was by far the best room we've had out of the 3 holidays my boyfriend and I have been on together.
Mini fridge in room has 1 bottle of still water, 1 bottle of sparkling water, and 3 bottles of pop. These are not replaced once used.
Safe in room was 30 euros for 2 weeks.
Bath robes are also provided, which is a nice touch :-)

POOLS, BEACH AND WATERPARK
Pools were fab! Never a problem getting a sunbed, but we always went down early. Towards end of holiday got busier so I can imagine in peek season there might be a bit of trouble.
We never stayed on the beach. Had a quick look though, wasn't very nice and very shingly (like previous reviews have said) But the beach is not owned by the hotel so its not really their fault.
The waterpark was great, somewhere different to go and was a right laugh. Really enjoyed the rides even though I am a wimp! haha.

Hotel provides beach towels. The towels were 10 euro deposit per towel, but you get deposit back at the end of the stay.

FOOD
The food was abit of a mixed bag for us really if i'm honest. Which was a real shame for us as we felt like it was the food that let this beautiful hotel down.
Before I go on holiday I always check out reviews on here. And to me every review gave the food a lot of praise. This was one of the reasons I booked this hotel.
The variety was ok, but it was the quality that wasn't very good. The meat was always very gristly.

The main restaurant was very nice. Very big and nicely air conditioned. The pool restaurant was the complete opposite. Hot, not very good variety, big queues (normally doesn't bother me) and ALOT of wasps! that's not the hotels fault though. At the beginning of our holiday the weather wasn't very nice so they opened the main restaurant up for lunch. The lunch in there was 100 times better. And our last day the hotel put notices round the hotel to say they were going to use the main restaurant for lunch from then on for guest comfort which I'm happy they've done that.

If you didn't want anything heavy for lunch there was a baguette and toasty area which was nice to have that option.

**Men are to wear trousers/ jeans for evening meal** But again they put up notices to say men can now wear shorts/ cropped shorts due to weather and comfort. But i'd pack long trousers just in case it goes back to being trousers for whatever reason.

A LA CARTE
There are 2 a la carte restaurants you can choose to eat at one once per stay. One Italian and one Asian. We tried the Asian, which was very nice indeed :-)

ENTERTAINMENT AND STAFF
The entertainment team worked very hard. The entertainment from the animation team was typical for hotel entertainment. One night a week they had a Greek night (professional Greek dancers come in) One night a week a they had a live band. Another night a week there would be a tribute act. And for the rest of the week the animation team did their shows.
The staff at the hotel were very friendly always had smiles on their faces and made you feel welcome. They really worked hard. We were impressed with the staff.

LOCATION
On previous holidays we have been in the middle of nowhere with nowhere to walk to. To us the hotel was in a perfect location with beautiful scenery.
It was a 20min walk to Kolymbia itself. With bars, restaurants and shops. There was a lovely little bar that had mini golf just a 5min walk away from the hotel (not even that) called Star Bar. We went there a few nights to play mini golf, which was nice :-) They also had a play area for the kiddies.
Bus stop right outside hotel with buses going to Lindos and Rhodes town. We went to both these places on days out. And had a boat trip when we went to Rhodes town.

OVERALL
Beautiful hotel, great location, great staff, food ok but not the best.

I would highly recommend this hotel to people with children, as there is plenty to keep the kiddies occupied. This is a family hotel at the end of the day so if you go expect ALOT of kids. We knew there would be a lot.... but didn't think with the time of year we went there wouldn't be quite as many as there was. Hotel really got busy at end of stay so I should imagine its very busy in peek season.
I would go back, but only if I had children.

All in all a very nice break away :-) Thank you Atlantica Aegean Blue!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank rachel404
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea
Atrium Palace Thalasso Spa Resort & Villas

Been to Atlantica Aegean Blue? Share your experiences!