“breathtaking”

Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Kolimbia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We're going there by car which we left near panorama restaurant where is a car park. Then we went out on the 300 stairs. It was so hot but worth it. It's one of the most beautiful places on this island maybe even on the world.

4  Thank adrianauk
There are newer reviews for Monastery Tsambika

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stunning views if you're able to drive up the steep hill and then climb the 300 steps. My husband and I made the climb while my in-laws and children waited at the panoramic restaurant. Beautiful, colorful shrine to the Virgin of Tsambika, surrounded by candles and baby dolls. People go here and pray to be blessed with children. I heard from some of the locals that some used to climb this rocky mountain on their knees to prove themselves worthy of the children they prayed for. Other's talk about a light that people followed up to the top of the mountain prior to the existence of the monastery or the steps.

Definitely worth a trip. You can see for miles up and down the coast. Pretty spectacular.

2  Thank Ann R
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Brilliant Stunning Views Try Climbing Rock Face to Taverna very rewarding follow path of Piled Rocks left by other Climbers 30 Minute walk from Hotel to Bottom of Mountain

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

It was a scary car ride to the half way point of the hill, however we made it safely. Do not attempt the drive if you are not a confident driver it is very steep. You may be better off walking up the hill, it is approximately 1.5km. Once you get to the half way point by car then there are another 300 steps to the top. It sounds like a lot but very doable and worth the effort. The views you will see are spectacular. A must see!

1  Thank Eleni A
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is a fantastic place to visit. Once you get over the drive up the steep hill to the area with the steps, you are already in need of something wonderful and it doesn't disappoint. The 300 steps to the church are daunting but not really too steep and there are places to rest along the way. My wife did it in her bare feet as suggested by the legend, so I had the easy job really. Once there the building itself is quite small but the views are amazing. It is a delight for photographers and there is a real sense of peace being so high up overlooking the rest of the island. The church itself was very interesting; we bought an offering to the virgin and my wife was helped with the fascinating ceremony of lighting a candle which included eating part of the wick. It was so interesting to watch others who were obviously well versed with the intricacies of the ceremony, lighting their candles and burning incense etc. I loved every minute of my visit and would recommend anybody to go there. I only hope the legend works now.

1  Thank BYBTraveller