“THE WOW FACTOR”

Holiday Village Rhodes
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Kolimbia
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I read numerous views prior to our holiday and thought "oh my god, what have I done".
I even visited the travel agents and looked at alternatives!! However; I am so glad we didn't change. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we had the most fantastic time. Any teething problems there had been, appeared to have been overcome.
Admittedly, we did stay within the Royal Deluxe area, with a swim up room and if you can stretch to this I would certainly recommend you do. The activity area looked great but for us, having the choice was better.
Yes, if you want to be fussy the room could be bigger but it was ample for us (2 adults & 1 teenager, I think another one would have been okay too) but the facilities were fantastic, with ample storage.
The pools were great and always plenty of room to play without annoying others, despite the area being full and sunbeds taken. Yes some tiles were off the bottom of the pool, which could be uncomfortable at times but I did not see anyone with cuts though to say there wasn't. I don't though see how this could have been addressed, without draining the pool and that just wouldn't have been plausible.
Yes sunbeds could be a problem but again I think this was mainly a problem at the activity side, where everyone obviously wanted to be right by the pool. Within the deluxe are we got up about 9 am everyday and were happy to have a bed just a few seconds away from the pool, to the side.
The food was fantastic throughout, especially within the deluxe area, with a good choice of hot/cold food, wine, beer & soft drinks to accompany. We used this for breakfast / evening meals every day and only ventured to the restaurant at the activity side for lunch. This was nice but I agree with other views that it could be a nightmare in the evening and take the gloss off a little. I think this should be a little bigger and more inside to cater for demand.
The evening entertainment did not always suit our tastes but everyone appeared to be having fun; we enjoyed a comedy magician, motown singer and a Beatles tribute band, all of which had been drafted in to improve I think.
The lager, spirits, cocktails, wine and soft drinks were enjoyed by all of us. I love a lager, glass a red wine & a cocktail. I thoroughly enjoyed what was on offer. Snacks were also plentiful but not as easy to get within the royal deluxe area.
The pool bar within the relax area was fantastic and we ventured there most days. I loved the idea of sitting on a stool at the bar with water lapping round the waist.
All staff from the cleaners, bar staff and hotel staff were brilliant but maybe you only get back what you give (some people seem so miserable despite being on holiday).
I did hear that only in the royal deluxe area was bottled water supplied, which I felt was wrong and we could not get our heads round why this was, as this would not appear to be fair.
Everyone we spoke to, from various areas of the UK, all appeared to be very impressed with this resort and we certainly had the best holiday so far, despite our boy having an ear infection for the last 2 days. Many of these satisfied customers were from the activity area too, not just relax / deluxe.
To be fair I think this resort is definately a 5 star resort, I have stayed in 3, 4 & 5 star and know the difference but if people want to find fault they will.
Also sometimes things do happen, which are out of anyones control and I think when choosing a holiday you need to take this into account.
I spoke with many people who thought the same and also enjoyed, what they rated, as their best holiday ever.
We didn't have much contact with the first choice staff but on the occasion we did we could not fault them. What I would say is unlike some resorts they didn't attempt to force you into joining in and only encouraged you, which meant there were no uncomfortable moments for us.
To give you an idea of what to expect, a family we got friendly with suggested that along with an assortment of cheese being offered with an evening meal, crackers & biscuits should also. Guess what, the next evening crackers were there!! They really are trying to improve and respond to holiday makers wishes, where possible.
We would love to return but fear the price increase may prevent us from doing so. Also we like to visit different places. Our biggest problem, I fear is finding a holiday, which will now match our expectations.

1  Thank leezy1
FC_Holiday_Village, Manager at Holiday Village Rhodes, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Hello and thank you for your comments. We have been trying to take on board everyone’s comments as we want to keep improving. Guests can get water from dispensers around the resort for people to pick up and take back to their rooms if they wish. We’re really happy your family had a good holiday and if you find it hard to choose somewhere else for next year, why not come back! Or, if you’d like to try another country we have two new Holiday Villages opening next summer in Tunisia and Tenerife.

Tracey and Nikos – Holiday Village Rhodes

Write a ReviewReviews (2,443)

Reviewed August 28, 2010

Stayed in holiday village July into August.
I was a little worried about this holiday due to negative comments. Should I have been worried NO !!!!!!
I emailed guest relations before arrival and got a fast response. (Never had that in any holiday I have booked before).
I travelled with my family and friends and what a fab time we all had. Never had such a relaxing holiday.
Never up before 10am. Breakfast was lovely and the staff in deluxe area are very friendly cheerful and such hard workers.
I could go one but would be repeating what others have said.
If you are due to go to this village (you lucky people) I am sure you will have a fab time just as we did.
I would and will return one day. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Hello, thanks for your post. Happy customers are what it’s all about. We’ll make sure the team in the Deluxe Area get to hear your great comments. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

We were a bit concerned with some of the reports read before we left but they were soon forgotten. Hotel was great, everywhere was clean and staff were friendly. There was a gym and spa and also free wifi in reception area. Unfortunately room could have been better for our 11 yr old who had a put up bed, she found that quite hard. She also found that the Wavelength activities were quite repetitive on the second week and had done a lot of them on a previous Holiday Villiage trip to Turkey plus she is growing up but plenty for younger kids. Location is very remote, there is a beach a few minutes walk but we spent most of our time in the resport, afterall we had paid for an all inclusive trip so wanted to make the most of it. Pools were lovely and warmer than expected but it was very hot for both weeks and not a cloud in the sky. Quite a few people had ear problems during our stay including our daughter but she did spend up to 8 hours in the pool each day. Would recommend that you take some swim ear or ear calm with you if your child will be doing the same, otherwise you will find yourself at the pharmacy or worse the local doctors. Take some ear plugs for them if have sensitive ears. The downside was that you needed to be up early (before 8am) to get sunbeds near the activity pools, especially if you wanted some with umbrellas. There were plenty of chairs in the waterpark areas and other sunbeds over in the relax areas but not good if you have younger children that want to be near all the activities and waterpark. For the first 10 days the food seemed great, plenty of choice in the restaurant but for the last few days it did become a little repetitive. You are not provided bottled water (except on first day where they leave a complimentary bottle in the fridge) but can top up water bottles from drinks machines and we didn't have any ill effects with this or with having ice in our drinks. Take plenty of sun creams etc as they are very expensive if you have to purchase. The entertainment team were fantastic and shows were great, Gavin and his team, Craig, Dave, Kayleigh and Claire work very hard and made the 2 weeks fun especially trying to learn the dance moves to "i five live", "chocco latte", "shake it" and many more. The rest of the team works extremely hard too making sure you and the kids are entertained and the clubs are very secure with signing in and out. Ben, Cameron, Mattie and Nicole (to name a few) make it fun with all the games and activities but be prepared to join in if you want to have more fun both during the day and the evening. We had a great holiday and would definately go back again.

1  Thank Sam0472

Hello, thanks for your review. It sounds like overall you and your family had a great time. We will pass on your comments to the entertainments team as they’d be thrilled to hear them. We will continue to strive to improve our resort so please do come back to see us again in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Gor back 25 August and never been so reluctant to leave. We almost cancelled due to the reviews but Soooooo glad we never.
Stayed in swim up room on relax side, what can i say it was fab, no need to leave my lounger on the terrace except to walk thru pool to swim up bar, sliding doors seperate the main room into 2 so was great as had 2 ten year old boys. jacuzzi as well, bliss!
Food was served in activity side restaurant for main meals, plenty choice carvery most nights and always something to choose, kids really enjoyed it too,( Only downside is that the outside area of reastaurant is very warm however that is going to be changed over the winter months so will be good for next year!) , recommend the chilli and chinese! Snacks on relax side are salads and baguettes but hot dogs, chips etc on activity side.
the waterpark was great but we tended to stay on relax side most of the time as boys happy with pools there.
Entertainment is pretty standard but kids entertainment starts after bingo so gets quite late for little ones i guess (didnt affect us). Our boys only went to kids club once (9-14 group)they did water olympics in a 4ft pool with life jackets(not happy) on and refused to go again but others seem to enjoy the activities.
The pool bar in relax open 10-6 and activity bars till 12, however we used to come back to relax on our terrace and you can go and get drinks from the bar in delux area to take back to your room at night which saves the walk back to activity.
The reports we read prior to our hol said the staff we miserable and rude, what an utter LOAD OF RUBBISH!!!! The restaurant staff were lovely, take the time to say Kalimera and it makes a difference, the pool bar includes Georgia and Tom who are so lovely!! There was a gentleman checking in the same time as us and because his room was not ready totally went off on one (they even offered him the room next door to change in while he waited, was going to be 30 mins- make your own mind up!) I do find if you are nice to people thay are nice to you!
we went into Lindos on the bus 3euro each way, so worth a visit.We also went to the faliraki waterpark, it is advertised as largest in europe which it may be large but there is not a lot in it. Note that 5 of the slides (only good ones) are restricted to 13 years old and you get diff colour bands when you pay(try to buy adult bands but beware if guard thinks not old enough you cant go down) Basically if you have done other parks ie majorca, cyprus, benidorm then dont bother you will be let down!!!
hotel shop is expensive go to supermarket for lilos etc.
pool towels 10 euro refundable.
safe 35 euro 2 weeks, do not do as some suggest take your own batteries because if you had to make ins claim you would have no proof of having locked valuables away(just a warning)
The situation with tiles coming off the pool is apparent HOWEVER only because some IDIOT parents ignore their kids who are physically pulling them up complete with glue, they actaully were filling up cups with them in front of parents who do nothing, (go figure, the only ones i saw lifted were with fingers not of their own accord).
Finally the SUNBEDS, apparently the activity side is mad with people up at 6, however for the whole two weeks on delux side most beds were free at 10 and you could get a bed at any time of the day so if you are on relax side enjoy the lie in!
Well I am sure there is loads more i could say but if you had any doubts about going then don't cause it is fantastic, we had amazing time and met some lovely people there too especially one little boy who spent his week with our two (you know who you are).

2  Thank GazaCFC
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed in the delux side in a family room. Beds were SO comfy and excellent quality. Nice duvet and pillows. Bathroom had a seperate shower as well as a shower over the bath. Cleaned every day except Sunday where they just changed the towels and bins but wasn't too much of a problem. The time often varied when they cleaned but we were hardly in there anyway. (only nipping back every now and then to use the toilet) The room wasn't perfectly cleaned but clean enough. After we had arrived and by the time I had unpacked my bare feet were black (not a good start!) I made sure I wore the slippers provided.
Being in the delux side we could use the extra restaurant. This was extremely handy especially in the mornings. Plenty of choice and kids loved the fresh omlettes and pancakes. However, the majoy downfall to us was the service in this restaurant. They seemed miserable and often never asked if you wanted tea or coffee. There was no consistency in who was covering which tables. They rarely cleared the used plates so we had to stack them to the side. This happened at dinner too where we were often never asked what we would like to drink or water was never served or not for ages. It's not the busiest place in the world and we were confused why this happened so often. This service let down the delux area.
Reception staff however were excellent, friendly and helpful and would help out with anything. Thanks to you all!
Our holiday advisor Alan was brilliant and always around to answer any questions too. THANKS ALAN. He was professional, helpful and organised and is a credit to First Choice.
Our children did Soccer Academy and Razzamataz. Our son did 16 hrs in total! 2 lots of 8hrs (2hrs a day for 4 days) as he loved the first lot so much. Hot work but loved it. Our daughter did 2 lots of Razzamataz and did 2 shows. What they achieved in the 6 hrs of each lot was fantastic and she is still singing and doing the shows at home.
The Activity Side was great fun to go to. There is the water park and we would often float around the lazy river to cool down and go on the slides. We also did the high ropes which was fantastic. There is loads going on all the time and you can do as much or as little as you want. The whole place is clean and tidy and looks fantastic particularly at night when the pools are all lit up.
We went to the buffet on the activity side. Food hot and replenished regularly. Met with a fantastic greeting and the head chef was there. Nice to be met with a smile and made to feel so welcome (delux side could learn a trick here) Plenty of choice and excellent quality. Salad choice fantstic too so you don't need to eat chips all the time!!
The snack bar was handy too . The chips are delicious and handy to grab something if you want to sit in your swimmers. Nuggets, hot dogs, burgers.
We went to Falaraki water park one day which was great. We ordered one of the pack lunches to take with us the day before. It was brilliant. We had 4 baguettes (ham, cheese and tomato), 4 salads, 2 bags of crisps, 4 large juicy apples, 3 waters, 3 cartons of juice All in a handy carry bag. Well worth getting. You can select sandwich choices when you order.
I got 2 lots of washing done too while there 10 euros to fill a bag which was a bonus. Returned dried and folded (not ironed but well folded and not very creased)
The delux side did not have a pool bar which is a massive downfall. Although 'the hut' provided much required bottles of water and cold cans which was excellent. We could refill the fridges in our rooms with these too which is a massive benefit. I just hope if they (and they should) add bar for next year that the bottles of water are not abandoned as they were a massive bonus. This area does need a bar by the pool. In order to get a cocktail or gin and tonic we had to venture to the relax swim up bar which was nice for a change and made us move but seemed madness that a 'delux' service did not offer these things.
Kids went to kids clubs too some times. Evenings got booked up quickly some times (particularly the chocolate party so get them booked in early) The staff commented that it's always busy for that and we wondered why if they knew why didn't they allow for more staff to cover these nights. Perhaps something to think about if possible. We would go to the adults bar while they were there. Air conditioned ,relaxed and fantastic service in there.
All in all we had a fantastic time and we are loking forward to returning. Just a couple of points we wanted to make but nothing that reuined a holiday by any means!! Would highly recommend the Holiday Village Rhodes.

3  Thank hol3

Hello, thanks for your feedback. We’re always looking at ways to improve so will certainly look into the service in the Deluxe area restaurant. As explained in a previous response there is a limit on numbers for our evening Kids’ Club sessions due to maximum child to staff ratios and that we can only allow 26 children in a session at any one time due to floor space per child. We hope you try another of our Holiday Villages next year.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

I was a bit worried before going on this holiday after reading all the reviews but everything about this place is superb. We arrived around 9pm but within 5 minutes of a arriving, our luggage was taken to our room, we were given our bands and keys and whisked into the restaurant for a meal - First Class. We stayed in the activity area which seemed better than the relax if you have kids. You can still have you privacy by the pool plus the kids can use the superb water park facilities. This isn't a 5 star Hotel as you would expect back home but this is Greece. It is certainly 4 star.

Rooms - Although not huge, they are big enough for a family of 4 withe a double and king size bed fitted with memory form mattresses (so comfy !! ). There is a bath with shower and also a seperate shower cubicle. The decor is very modern. My only gripe here was that the cleanliness on first arriving was fine but very little effort was put into cleaning the room for the whole 2 weeks and apart from making the bed I don't think anything else was done. We were without towels on a few occassions This does need improving but it didn't spoil the holiday one little bit.

Food - Apart from a couple of nights the food was excellent with more than enough choice (chinese dishes, Indian curry dishes, mexican, Italian, Roast Dinners etc) all cooked fresh and very tasty. A good selection of salad, fruit and dessert to round things off. My only complaint would be the Italian restaurant which can be used once during your stay was not brilliant and was basically the buffet food presented differently on a plate. The starters or desserts were actually worse than the buffet. There was alsways something to satisfy the kids. The daytime selection in the restaurant was also excellent, although the snack bar was very limited but still ok.

Entertainment - Daytime entertainment is superb and the staff are so enthusiastic and friendly and really make the kids welcome. They are entertaining non-stop for the kids and family and there is plenty of choice for everyone. Nightime entertainment was also very good and although there are very few professional acts, the entertainment team of Dave, Craig, Kayleigh, Claire and the guys were brilliant and produced some excellent shows.

Yes, this hotel has had some teething issues but from our holiday, I could not find any problems or even spoke to anyone who had issues and would certainly highly recommend to anyone. Even getting on to the coach to return home were given complementary water and snack and waved off by the manager. This really is a brilliant hotel with friendly staff and you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank ST73UK

Hi thanks for your post. We’ll take onboard your feedback regarding the Italian restaurant. The housekeeping staff are usually quick to help with any problems so as usual we would recommend customers to bring any issues to our attention straight away, no matter how small or insignificant, to avoid inconvenience. We hope you try one of our other Holiday Villages in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

We never thought we would better our holiday last year which was the Polynesia in Benalmadena. OMG i was so so wrong, this is an absolutely amazing complex. We have never seen swim-up rooms before and they are so worth it. The hotel is huge, the complex is huge.

STAFF :- I can say i have never stayed in a hotel where the staff actually treat you like friends/family. The atmosphere everywhere you went was fantastic. All the staff said hello to you whenever they saw you and the entertainments team always stopped to talk to you. Nothing was ever too difficult for any member of staff, they was always willing to help and 9 times out of 10 they solved it for you too.

The Guest Relations Manager Carl is just amazing. He's always there ready to help, whenever we had a problem he sorted it immediately. He always goes out of his way to help people and help them to have the best holiday possible. ( He likes Cherry Bakewells too hahahah )

All the reception staff were amazing too we really couldn't fault any staff, they all made us feel so welcome which is so nice in a hotel as we have never had it before.

The Bar Staff were all amazing too especially the pool bar staff in the relax side. They all know who they are. We had the most amazing time everyday at the poolbar. The staff knew you within a couple of days and got you your drinks without you even asking hahahaha so so efficient. They all work so hard and keep smiling no matter how busy.

The ladies in the spa were fantastic too just all so so friendly it was amazing.

The little touches like when you arrive you put a sticker on your case with your room number on and your cases get delivered to your room is great.

We had a swim-up room which was just superb on relax side which i would highly reccommend as thats the area the poolbar is which is just amazing. Our only small complaint was we had a 15yr old with us and she was on a small bed virtually on the floor. We did ask for a proper single bed but never got it. She was just so pleased to get back into her kingsize bed at home hahaha. We had friends who had 2 small children and they had proper single beds, and another family with us had a big double bed the small children shared. It seemed to be if you had only 1 child with you this is the type of bed you got for them. It didn't ruin the holiday it's just a niggle. The Air-Con was a bit tempremental too especially our 3 rooms together we just seemed to trip each othere out all the time, it did become a pain occasionally but again the guys came out asap everytime and fixed it.

The eating area was big outside but very tiny inside. In Aug it did become very hot and quite uncomfortable at times to eat as obviously no air-con outside. The hotel are aware as a lot of people did mention this.

The food was out of this world, we never once had a problem finding something. We were very impressed with the pack-up we got when we went on a trip 1 day. We ordered it before 6pm the day before we needed it and picked it up at breakfast the nxt morning. We got a big rucksack with 3 sandwiches ( bagettes ) 3 packets of crisps, 3 cartons of juice, 3 bottles of water and 3 apples. How cool is that hahah.

The entertainment team work there socks off day and night. They are all amazing they really are. Within our group we has 2 young children who had swimming lessons which had to be payed for but much cheaper than home and so worth it. They both became so much more confident in the water with just 5 half hr lessons and another child did the football academy which he really enjoyed. They also went into the kids club too and didn't want to come out hahahahah. The evening 1 was fab 9.30-11pm so their parents can enjoy the entertainment in peace hahahah.

I don't know how much more praise i can give this hotel, it is expensive especially in the school holidays but is worth it.

I will appologise now if i was too loud in the pool laughing hahahahahahha

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING I'd go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank loonyjane

Hello, thanks for your great review. We’re really glad you enjoyed your time at the Holiday Village Rhodes and hope to see you again sometime.