Holiday Village Rhodes
$166
SunConnect Kolymbia Star(Kolimbia)(Great Value!)
$75
$56
$108
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Kolymbia Beach Hotel(Kolimbia)(Great Value!)
$107
TripAdvisor
Bookgreece.com
Marathon Hotel(Kolimbia)
HotelQuickly
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
2,445 results
All reviewsdeluxe arearelax areaactivity areafirst choicehigh ropesfootball academydeluxe sideswim up roomkids clublazy riveradult barsports bardeluxe poolswim academyswimming lessonswater parkevening entertainment
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our second holiday to HV Rhodes with 2 teenage boys. We went again this year as we had such a great time last year. Yes, I agree with other comments this is NOT a 5 star hotel by UK standards but compared to some other holiday destinations it is well above average.

Arrival: we got to the hotel at about 2am and were warmly welcomed with snacks and drinks. Check-in was very fast and we were taken to our room by one of the golf carts.

Room: last year we were on the first floor with a balcony which was fine but this year we were on the ground floor which was even better. We were not able to book a swim-up room as they were all gone but our room (3202) was as-good-as. As it was in the corner of the activity pool the veranda didn't directly back onto the pool but we had our own steps into the pool about 3 metres away. The room itself was perfectly fine for us, very clean, plenty of room and the bathroom very nice. Having a fridge is great to keep drinks and food cool. The air-con is wonderful and essential! Maid service every day so always a clean, tidy room.

Facilities: the pools are lovely and very big so never crowded. The splash park loads of fun with the lazy river a big hit with the kids and the slides. We stayed in the activity area so close to all the action. The pool over at the relax area (accessed via an underpass) was good too with a swim-up bar but obviously a bit quieter. Can't comment on the deluxe area as we weren't allowed in there! The sports bar is quite basic but we did spend a lot of time in there. They have a table tennis table (which is in great demand - but thanks to the other guests who joined in our well-attended games of kings!), 2 pool tables and 2 air-hockey tables. They were frequently out of order though. The TV in there showed sky sports so had all the premier league games etc.

Food: Just one word - fantastic! And always delicious. The main buffet restaurant was so good we didn't end up booking the al a carte restaurants. The food was varied with plenty of fruit and vegetables and wonderful salads (yum).

But a special thanks to the head chef and his sous-chef. Both my boys need to eat gluten-free and the chefs took the time to take us round the dishes explaining the ingredients and what they could eat. In addition they also cooked things specially for them including gluten-free pasta and a GF version of the tikka masala one night. This was above and beyond and I can't thank them enough.

The snack bar (open 11am - 4pm) was pretty good too serving chips (of course) but also some greek snacks. Try the pork gyros - wow!

We always ate early (7.30 for breakfast, 12.30 for lunch and 6.30 for dinner - teenage boys get hungry) and the restaurant was quiet then. Got very busy an hour later though.

Daytime activities: varied and fun. We joined in with a few activities including aeroball, bowls, canoe building, lawn darts. Can't comment on the kids clubs as my kids are almost too old to join in and didn't want to anyway. The high ropes are great too.

Evening entertainment: Not bad but not great. Aimed at younger kids with i5Live first (you grow to love the chocolatte song!!!) then bingo (sounds wierd but a lot of people play it!) then the adult entertainment which was mixed.

Resort: Kolymbia is very quiet. Not much there really - a few bars and shops but nothing to shout about! The beach is only a few mins walk from the hotel with watersports. Beach is mostly stony but some sandy bits. We loved it.

To conclude, don't expect silver service and you will love it here!

Room Tip: Stay in the activity area if you want to be close to the action. Swim-up rooms are great.
3  Thank Richard C
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Awkward review to write. First Choice and the Village itself claim it’s a 5 star resort and on that basis you have to compare and benchmark against 5 star accommodation and service. If I do that within this review I will criticise this resort which is a shame as we had a fantastic holiday.
Good and Bad points:
1) First choice reps and kids facilities where once again excellent; however, they are good in all Holiday Villages. Major issue I had is the kids can’t do the high ropes on their own like the HV in Cyprus and the water park (which we was looking forward too) age limit was ridicules; my 8 year old has been down bigger slides in Florida. This spoilt the fun has the other slides where too babyish. Also the life guards where rather rude with the policing of this rule and I saw a number of arguments.
2) Rooms – Rooms where at a high spec; however, location of some of the rooms are questionable. No privacy on ground floor balconies and I would be disappointed if I had a swim up pool, especially in the relax area with some of the rooms being connected by a giant bath tub and not really a pool.
3) SUN BEDS (Big Gripe) – The holiday village has built a new Hotel at the back of the Relax area (Scandinavian) and their pools are not great. So what happens is at 6:30 in the morning (like a stream of ants) they come over to the relax pool and take the beds. Not my cup of tea having to get up at silly o’clock just to get a seat around the pool. When I raised the issue I got the standard answer that they are a part of the holiday village (note: not a uk first choice offer) and they can sit where they like… Also if you can’t get a bed you can have a deck chair (LOL - £6000 to sit on a deck chair for two weeks no thanks) so I had to join the early morning club (humbug)
4) Service – Not 5 star service and sometimes it was very rude/abrupt…line up for Breakfast and Dinner (?) (not 5 star)… at dinner, service erratic if you get asked for a drink (not 5 star)… other things like booking a curtsey room home and not being ready has someone previous has taken too long getting ready and the response is you have to wait.. no give me a room it’s not my fault. Small things I know but when you are in it it is not 5 star services.
5) Dinner location – terrible (not 5 star) 2000 guest being jostled within an area less than the size of half a football pitch was ridiculous…also when the entrainment started all the kids just stopped eating…fun watching the parents trying to get the kids to eat whilst a puppet show was going on..(LOL)
6) Food – food was good in general with some variety (but you also get in other HV’s) and the Italian was excellent (nearest thing to 5 star) – Greek poor location no ambiance (not 5 star) – Mexican food poor (not 5 star).
7) General Location – Poor …local beach terrible and lack of shops etc
8) Maintenance – grounds are lovely; however, newer once saw the pool being cleaned and tiles within the pool coming loose and kids cutting their feet.
9) Entertainment – A big shout to Adam and Lucy who were great. The other two need to get some character. Once again spending £6000 and witnessing some of the entertainment that caressed that stage was disgraceful, hotel need to invest into some 5 star acts and not rely on the First Choice staff … early nights or get drunk... or watch the firework display from the 5 star hotel down the road… not 5 star entrainment
If someone asked me how the holiday was I would say great and had a great time; however it comes back to individuals expectations of a 5 star and budgets. Personally I wouldn’t pay £6000 to go back and would prefer to spend the money on a proper 5 star hotel… look down the road at the Aegean Blue … proper 5 Star…

5  Thank TOETACTIC
Reviewed August 30, 2013

we stayed for two weeks service was great the rooms where great and very clean staff where very pleasant lots to do a would go back no problem food just brilliant i had my six year old their and their entertainers cant do enough for the kids their sister hotel alantica princess was very good charlie the team leader their was absolute great with the kids they all love her!!!

Room Tip: rooms all good
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 week end of august 2 adults and 2 kids aged 3&5.
Having never experienced an HV we weren't sure what to expect or even if it would be our type of thing.I have to agree this is a 5 star holiday for kids but as an adult I'd say 4 star (with a few 5 star elements which ill go into later)
On arrival we were swiftly checked in, orange juice for kids,sparkling wine for adults. Luggage taken to your room.

Accommodation:-
We stayed in a family deluxe non swim up room. All of these are top floor.
Very clean, modern with separate sliding doors for the kids bit.
Bath had jacuzzi feature.
Bed very comfortable.
Small complimentary vanity kit.
Mini bar had drinks in it when we arrived but these were not replenished( another guest advised me on our last day we could have asked to have this restocked)
Plenty of wardrobe space.
Kettle with a few coffee sachets and tea bags.
We were in block 4200 so in the shade all day but suited us fine.
I preferred the quiet of the exclusive deluxe pool though we often ventured over to the pirate ship/lazy river for the kids.
Bathrobes and slippers provided
Loved the seperate restaurant for deluxe only guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We only used it for breakfast though(once for dinner) as the selection at the main restaurant and proximity to the evening entertainment for kids suited us better.
Food & drink -
Oh my word, now I've been lucky to stay in some amazing 5 star hotels worldwide and I'm not sure 5star and buffet go hand in hand but the food at HV Rhodes is superb.
As a strict veggie I enjoyed something different every night, all food clearly labelled too.
Fresh bread, kids selection great and plenty of fruit, cheese and desserts.
Like I've said we opted to eat at the main buffet for dinner over the deluxe restaurant and I'd say to anyone in deluxe to give it a go once.
We didn't book into any of the other restaurants, for us there was no need to as the main one changed their theme nightly anyway( Greek and Mexican our favourites)
Sparking wine was nice, husband enjoyed the beer and red wine. Cocktails and spirits were fine( not amazing but pleasant)
Kids loved the slushies and endless supply of ice creams.Popcorn in the evening was a great addition too

Staff:-
Well another 5 star from us. The restaurant waiting staff are amazing, high 5'ing all the kids. Our girls got treated like princesses, without exception they are truly a credit to this hotel.
The HV reps were fantastic. Their boundless energy and enthusiasm was first class. Special mention to Adam& Lucy who were our personal favs for i5live. Kylie was super lovely to our girls too.
Thanks guys, you put in some long hours and hope your bosses give you the praise (and £)you deserve!

Kids club:-
Staff were very friendly and informative.
Facilities were great,clean and activities varied.Our kids did one session every day, came out with certificates and big smiles. They also loved the choc party and Alex the lion party both bookable and payable(€5)
There were evening sessions for all age groups right up until 10 or 11pm so no chance for kids to get bored.
We also had a swimming lesson with Connie, yet again she was great and we wish we had booked more as the kids loved it.

Entertainment:-
As parents of young kids we had no complaints. Widgets, followed by i5live(sat morning kids tv type show) and our kids were ready for bed by 930.
They loved the song repetition and dance routines.
I can't comment on the other acts as we were gone by then but from the other guests I sensed that it could do with more outside acts being used.
Numerous appearances by Shrek&Madagascar characters a hit with our kids too.

Sorry HV but we did have a few minor niggles
Sunbeds, the no reserving before 8am is not enforced.Im afraid I had to join the brigade, set my alarm for 730 and sit with our sunbeds until 8.01 to ensure we got a spot near the pool.Others blatantly reserved beds, walked off and hoped for the best. I'm sure(I hope) in off peak season this is not quite so bad.

Toilet facilities at the pirate ship/lazy river need improving. 1 male and 1 female toilet for the whole area?!

The room safe, real shame that a hotel claiming to be 5 star charge for this.Not sure of the reasons behind this unless its purely a money making thing, a pity if it is.

Tips that may help:-
Take tea and coffee with you.There is a small on site shop where you can get a large carton of milk.
Take extra hangers, def not enough in the wardrobe for a family of 4
On arrival it's worth heading straight to the kids club to register your kids rather than wait for welcome meeting. We took photos of the timetable on our phones so we could work out which sessions they'd like each day
If you have young kids we got to the dinner buffet at 630 which was the opening time, it was less crowded, by 730/8 it had got very busy and people were queuing to get in.
Take cash with you as certain activities are payable in cash only. The local ATMs were tempremental.You also need to leave a €10 deposit per towel if you wanted one.

And in response to the '7k' review I was there on the waxing CHARITY night and not only were adults&kids entertained (sadistic bunch we are!)but that bit alone raised over €1000 for Tommys charity which was a phenomenal achievement.
And yes give me paper cups in the daytime over shattered glass,cut feet and a trip to the hospital any time thank you.

Would I go back, definitely and that's not something I normally consider so well done HV Rhodes for a great time and some fab memories,you've gained some new fans, hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank deedle
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Let me begin by saying, no, by UK or US standards, this is not a 5* hotel, however, for a European family friendly, safe, clean, modern, well equipped and comfortable holiday, it is the full package. Have returned early hours of this morning, from 2 weeks at the holiday village Rhodes. We had a swim up room, which was a real treat, although not essential.

The food was outstanding, excellent variety and quality was high, staff were great, and securing a table night after night was never a problem.

The highlight for us was the holiday rep team, with special thanks to Josh and Miles who just made us laugh! josh taught my daughter to juggle, encouraged her on the high ropes, played water games with us all, and generally made our holiday fun and memorable. The reps are always happy, polite, helpful and knowledgable about the island. Evening entertainment was great for younger kids, but if you want a more grown up sow you did have to wait until about 10pm for anything to start.

All in all, brilliant holiday. Sad to be home!

1  Thank Emma A