“Barlow The Great!”

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Kolimbia
Brent Knoll, United Kingdom
“Barlow The Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at Rhodes Holiday Village from 23/06/12 - 07/07/12 in the Deluxe area on the first floor We couldn't get a swim up room because we booked late (May 2012).

We only ate in the Deluxe restaurant in the morning and the evening, then the Active restaurant and snack bar for lunch. The Deluxe restaurant is amazing and George/Christopher accommodate your every need. They are brilliant.

In the morning the chef is brilliant, same with the two chefs in the evenings.

The first week we didn't need to reserve sun beds early but the second week was full of Scottish (as it's the school holidays) and it turned into a mini Benidorm for some reason. Sun beds taken by 7am, every day! By then we spent our days in the learning pool as it was quiet and had a good location, close to the park and Pirate Ship.

The evening entertainment is brilliant. The kids love i5Live and the entire evening is great. I wasn't very keen on the outside acts that came in but I know many people did. I just don't like El Divo acts to give an example.

Barlow is fantastic and leads the entire team amazingly well, he was brilliant at presenting i5Live and the rest of the evening too.

Faultless and wish we saw him a bit more during the day.

We were unfortunate in that Smithy was in the process of leaving the team and a new manager (Jo) was coming in. I was gutted as I read some amazing reviews about Smithy and Barlow together and was really looking forward to the two.

I asked why Smithy left and got different answers from every member of the team. A great shame...

I didn't really enjoy Jo as a leader/performer but my Mrs and other people we were with did enjoy her, again, different opinions etc... Saying that, Jo did make me laugh with some of the things she says... "Shut the front door" was one of them (you probably need her hear it properly before you get this).

My daughter loved dancing with whoever was on Stage and I thought Emmaleigh and Kim were fantastic and gave 100% every day/night, I thought (and so did other people around me) that Emmaleigh in particular was very good all round, singing, dancing, entertaining the kids... All faultless and I was surprised to hear it was just her first year!

Ryan is also brilliant and different for every other member of the team. Great dancing and singer and enjoyed him every time he was on the mic. I would've liked to of seen him a bit more to be honest.

The team were going through the transitional period which did show but only maybe because I was reading every review before going... I asked other people and they didn't notice...

The room was amazingly clean and had a jacuzzi bath and two showers... One was in the bath and one was a walk in which had four different settings. the bath was also larger which was great for me being bigger.

The pools are all very nice. I did find the Active pool cold, but I only went in there in the morning. The Pirate Ship is brilliant and provided days of fun for the family.

I can't really think of any bad parts about the holiday and the only reason why I wouldn't go back is because I don't want to go to the same resort twice... I think the World is too big!

I'd rate the holiday overall as 10/10

Room Tip: Go Deluxe. Go Swim up!
1 Thank TheSpringerWalker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Alloa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We (2 adults, 2 boys age 9 & 7) stayed at HV from 23 June for 2 weeks. We had a brilliant holiday, the standard of food was excellent, the reps, entertainment and activity teams were great. Having stayed at HV Turkey 2 years ago we also found the local staff a lot friendlier too. If there was one tiny thing I was unhappy about was being asked for 35 Euros (non refundable) for a safe in the room - I would expect this as standard in any decent hotel. Apart from that though there was nothing to complain about - we will definitely be back. Scotty from the activity team gets a special mention, he always had a pack of kids following him, he was amazing with all the kids and gave the adults plenty of banter as well - he made our holiday even more special and great fun.

Room Tip: Wouldnt bother with extra cash for swim up rooms, most only get sun half the day and the rooms are r...
2 Thank GillianG444
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was our Nephew and Neices first holiday abroad - they are 6 and 4 and they wanted their Auntie and Uncle to come with them so we joined our Sister and Brother in-law.

We had Deluxe swim up rooms side by side as we requested so the kids could pop in and out as they wanted to see us and so we could have them for sleep overs and let their parents have a little break for themselves. The kids were so excited when we arrived and were running around the rooms checking out all the amenities. Our rooms had the queen bed and the 2 single beds in the kids own area which had a TV with built in DVD which was handy for during the day if they wanted a break from the heat and they could sit in the cool air conditioned rooms and watch a movie although they spent most days in the pools lol.The swim up rooms are spacious and well appointed, we could not really fault anything as the only 2 problems we had on arrival which were the Jaccuzi not working and a problem with the TV in the Adult part of the room were fixed very quickly.
The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and the kids entertainment team were brilliant and whilst our 2 only went to the kids club once for the Alex from Madagascar party. they loved it and they loved the Ifivelive shows at night in the entertainment area in the Activity side. They also loved the onsite waterpark with its slides ,flumes and lazy river and we tended to spend the morning in the deluxe area pool and go over to the activity area for lunch and visit the waterpark most days.

The food in all the restaurants is very good but one of the perks of being in Deluxe is you have the Cosmopolitan Restaurant which is for Deluxe clients only and does a breakfast /dinner service with a mix of A la carte and buffet for dinner. The food was very good and the only complaint I would have is all the soups and veloutes were lovely but very over salted. I would have liked lunch service as well as the Buffet restaurant in the Activity area was very busy for Lunch. The staff in the Cosmopolitian restaurant, both Kitchen and Front of house, were wonderful and I would particularly like to thank George the Manager, Christoper,Sofia and Maria our waiting staff who the kids adored and who fawned over Jack and Aimi.
The First choice rep Stacey was also very helpful and I would like to thank her too.
There were a couple of niggles, one I have already mentioned about the lunch service in the Cosmopolitan being a good improvement and I would also suggest that you were able to book the A la Carte options of the Greek taverna and Italian restaurants (1 perweek for each) in the deluxe reception as at the moment you need to go over to the Activity side between 10.30 am and 11.30 am to do this.

We had a great time and would thorougly recommend this resort, in fact we are looking at the brand new Holiday Village resort in Calla Millor in Majorca for next year as a possible destination if we go away with the tykes again as it looks fabulous as well.

Room Tip: Book your A La carte options ASAP after arrival as the times go quickly. If you can get a swim up ro...
Braunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We went to Holiday Village Rhodes for ten days in June 2012 and had a fantastic time. We went on a First Choice excursion which was a pirate cruise and swam in the turquoise sea from the boat – bliss! The weather was fab,the rooms look fantastic and the pools are wonderful (but crossing repeatedly from the relax side to the activity side slightly tedious).
George the waiter was good and Katerina the waitress went well over and above what was required, particularly when our daughter was unwell.
Swimming amongst the fish at Tsambika beach nearby and visiting the monastery was very memorable.
The spa was great and Zoi the manager put a lot of effort into making sure that all went well - highly reccomended!
Our taxi driver told us that 50 years ago, Kolymbia was just a collection of houses and then a town was built on an Italian grid system. Unfortunately the Eucalyptus road (the main drag) runs perpendicular to the sea, the sea front being taken up entirely it seems by hotel frontages – so no seaside promenade to stroll along.
Rhodes was our first taste of a Greek island, we loved it and it has made us want to explore the islands further. We would recommend it even though it wasn’t all perfect……
The food was quite salty and one evening I found glass in my salad – I was given a complimentary bottle of fizz but there was no apology.
There was a hole in the plaster ceiling above the bathroom mirror – very hard to see but it rained down tiny bits of plaster and debris into the basin and surrounding area when there was movement above.
The First choice excursions were expensive. We originally booked two of them (each over 70 Euros for the three of us) but cancelled the Lindos trip when we realised that we could hire a car for 70 Euros for three days, or 90 Euros for 4 from Nigel who was really helpful of Rodos cars based daily in reception. The trip from the East to West coast through the wooded hills was wonderful! The driving throughout was easy – not stressful. Ultimately we felt that this had been a good decision particularly as others who went on the Lindos trip said that they had paid for just a glorified bus journey – there were no beach activities etc included even though it was advertised as such. Lindos is challenging….. donkeys, crammed streets and heat – good view from the top though.
None of the above stopped us having a good time - our biggest complaint was the evening entertainment. It was not a patch on the equivalent from a RIU hotel. This was a surprise as previous reviews on trip advisor had made specific reference to how good Smithy and Barlow were, however we found them loud, laddish, egotistical and repetitive. A matter of taste I guess, but the general consensus from the other couples that we spoke to and who (unlike us) had been to other holiday villages was that although Holiday Village Rhodes was the best in terms of fantastic rooms, pools and facilities, the entertainment was not.
The Holiday Village Rhodes has in our opinion mostly got it right, there are just a few glitches to be ironed out!!!

Room Tip: If you are going to pay for a swim up room, request one that faces the sun as some are in the shade...
8 Thank Toni C
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Been back a week, looking to book somewhere for next year and this place is proving hard to beat. Its got to be one of the best family resorts there is! The resort is absolutely beautiful, well laid out and not too sprawling but retaining a feeling of space. It was always spotlessly clean, the grounds are immaculate and we have never encountered such friendly, attentive and helpful staff...cannot praise them enough, particularly all the staff who work in the main restaurant. Elena being particularly lovely with the children. Our room which was very smart and comfortable was always cleaned when we asked to a high standard. We stayed in a swim up room on the Relax side and if you want to put some distance between yourself and the entertainment noise, this is easily done. The swim up room was lovely but to be honest, not necessary as the proximity of all rooms to the lagoon style pool is really close. If we went again, we wouldn't bother paying the extra although we would choose the Relax side over the Activity side every time as its just beautiful and has the swim up bar.

The food in the main restaurant was amazing. We have a fussy eater so didn't bother with the a la carte dining options but didn't feel hard done by at all. Considering its buffet and catering for a lot of people, the variety and standard was excellent at every meal time, every day. I simply do not understand how anyone could find fault? Along with hot buffet with at least three options, as well as the show cooking option, and the grill, you could choose cold meats and cheese from the extensive salad bar. The fruit was always varied and beautiful and I enjoyed watermelon every day?! If you couldn't find anything you liked for breakfast, well I think there's no pleasing you!! Childrens corner was a nice touch and my independent daughter loved going there to choose her food. However, one tiny gripe, wish they could have put some pasta there as well as the usual chippy children's favourites as she usually loves spaghettie bolognese but because it wasn't in children's corner, she wouldn't eat it!! Yes, it did get busy at times, but just go a bit earlier or later and things were less frantic.

The entertainment team work extremely hard and I think a lot is expected of them considering the very long hours they work. The i5Live childrens shows were very good and our daughter loved them, particularly Widget World and the Dance Partys. Smithy was very good, genuinely funny, and we're glad we caught him before he left for Cyprus. Our daughter had swimming lessons with Tim Holmes upon recommendations from friends at home. We're so glad we chose to do this. Our daughter is a different girl in the water now and has gone from being frightened and unsure to happy and confident and is asking for more swimming lessons now we're home. Its a nice touch giving them a certificate which they receive on stage. Same for the football academy. Thank you very much Tim. Seemed a lot going on by the Activity Pool throughout the day although we prefer things a bit quieter so stayed by the Relax Pool or went into the Water Park when we wanted a bit more action. We all loved the lazy river. Kids are happy and entertained and the parents get to relax. Genius. I think its the longest I've sat still since our daughter was born!! Loved all the help yourself drinks facilities dotted around the resort and the snack bar was good. You don't pay extra for slush drinks at this holiday village, whereas you do seem to have to at others. I think it would be easy to underestimate how great this place is if you're travelling with kids, they've thought of everything to make it as easy and as relaxing as possible.

Trying to be objective, I think its important to bear the following in mind for this place-

This is a FAMILY resort squarely aimed at families and it doesn't try to be anything else. If you want a more exclusive, adult resort, choose somewhere else.

Kolymbia isn't particularly attractive. It provides the usual holiday necessity shops and has a few bars and restaurants but the beach wasn't great. Didn't bother us because we chose the Holiday Village and not Kolymbia and there's no real reason to leave the resort unless you want to.

Car hire from the guy in the hotel was very reasonable and he is very helpful. Goes through the routes with you to the main sites and tells you where to park. We altered our hire day due to swim academy committments and he couldn't have been more accommodating. We went to Rhodes Town for the day and the Old Town was gorgeous.

Reading this I hope its obvious we absolutely loved Rhodes Holiday Village, we had a fantastic 1st family holiday abroad and we cannot recommend it highly enough. Would return in a heartbeat and in fact, probably will!

Room Tip: Relax rooms are quieter and pool has the only swim up bar on the resort. Swim up rooms are a lovel...
9 Thank Lishiamortishia
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

we stayed at the hvr from 13th of june till the 27th of june 2 adults and 2 kids age 8 and 3 in a standard family room in the activity side , the room we stayed in was 2403 about 10 foot away from the swimming pool which was really handy for the kids going in and out for the toilet ; the swim up rooms dont get the sun all day and i would of been annoyed paying the extra when all the rooms are nearly swim up rooms anyway , the room we had was cleaned every day clean towels and the bed was made,the rooms have a kettle fridge flat screen television on the wall with english cartoon channels discovery channel and a few other english speaking channels, you are allowed a couple of cups of coffee in your room on the first day but have to pay for extra sachets after that,so overall the room was excellent the pools in the activity side are excellent for the kids plenty of shallow bits going into the deep bits which were about 5ft at the most, the water in the pools seemed very clean but the bottoms of the pools were quite dirty with stones books sweet wrappers etc , i only saw the pools getting cleaned twice in the two weeks we were there,but again overall the pools are really good , the little water park with the slides and lazy river was really good for everyone nice little splash park for the small kids and the lazy river and slides for the older ones , you have to be 6 or older to go on the small slide and 10 or over to go on the bigger ones , there are no sun loungers in the splash park but loads of nice posh pool chairs, the only down side in the splash park is the stink from the hotel next doors sewage some days it was really bad but again a good set up , the main restaurant serves a massive variety of foods both hot and cold which was quite good , go early or late otherwise you might end up queing for a little while to get a table ., during the day there is also an outside snack place that does kebabs pizzas and the like which is quite handy if you dont want to go into the main restaurant, one thing i did notice in the restaurant was blenders for people with babies which i thought was a good idea (the baby food in the shop is about 5 euros a jar ) the staff in the restaurants are excellent and really friendly the first choice holiday reps are all really friendly and commited to there jobs the night time entertainment for the kids is the normal kind of things you get on holidays pretty naff but the kids love it , the biggest downfall of the whole hotel in my oppinion and most of the people we spoke to on holiday was the adult entertainment .the few times they brought entertainment in it was pretty bad , the reps had to do most of it themselves out of all the holidays wev been on it is def the worst adult entertainment wev had, yes its agreat holiday for kids but adults do need entertaining aswell ,this is not a slur on the staff because the work there wotsits off day and night have a great rapot with the guests , but talking to people and staff who were there last year it has really gone down hill, the drinks in the hotel were ok yes some of the cocktails were ready made but most of them were done as you order , big measures when drinking spirits the lager was decent enough, the indoor sports bar serves the same as outside but if the kids want slush or ice cream its outside, at midnight the outside bar closes but you can go inside to the sports bar to carry on drinking but you have to pay for it after midnight , you have to buy water for you room from the sports bar 2.50 euro a bottle strange for a 5 star resort not to get free water for your room but if you go to the shop downstairs its about 3 euro for 6 bottles so not a big problem. the shop on the complex sells most thing you need and no more expensive than the local shops one thing that really annoyed me was the fact that a shop on a kids holiday resort is allowed to sell lazer pens every night on stage the reps had to tell people not to shine them at people why first choice dont just tell them to stop selling them is a bit silly , the kids clubs are really good the staff wrer excellent handy for putting the kids in on an afternoon fof a couple f hours to get them out of the sun , there is a big astroturf football pitch on site for the football accademy quite expensive but the lads who run it were excellent with the kids they run a few free sessions a week for kids and adults but most of the time it is locked so the kids cant get in to play football with there mates thet sat its for health and safety reasons but strangely they let the kids kick footballs around the entertainment area all night were people are sitting drinking , overall this is an excellent clean well ran hotel but the lack of entertainment day and night for adults lets this place down , not being allowed to get a cup of coffee before 10 in the morning unless you drink it in the restaurant is annoying lots of little things are overlooked which if they were addressed would make it a proper 5 star holiday because it certainly isnt cheep . any questons feel free to ask

Room Tip: dont book a swim up room , take tea and coffee with you for a morning cuppa , take the little train...
5 Thank muppett70
Ipswich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just back today from a week staying the Relax Area, in brief most of the reviews here cover things pretty well, my pros and cons are:

Pros:
- Good standard of food for this sort of thing and lots of choices
- Fantastic friendly staff both Greek and First Choice Reps - Restaurant staff in particular were brilliant, very genuine and always happy to see you
- Good standard of rooms
- High standard of bedding
- Rodos Cars in reception - got some of the best customer service I've had in 42 years from think it was Nigel (Apologies if got the name wrong), prepared a daily route for us each evening and was never short of advice or time
- Pirate boat trip with EmmaLeigh - brilliant day out! Especially diving off the boat in a quiet little cove.
- Great kids clubs

Cons (all minor and would not let these stop you booking):
- Not much else in the location - we hired a car to over come this - Lindos well worth a visit
- Evening Entertainment - not really our cup of tea but I can see how it would appeal to others.
- Not much for older teenagers (16-18) - more geared towards younger ages - this is probably by design though to be honest
- Maybe would have liked a little more "Greece" if that makes sense - hotel is very english orientated, 98% of guests are english - staff seemed genuinely shocked but delighted with the odd few bits of greek i was able to speak!

1 Thank IpswichArron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolimbia
SENTIDO Port Royal Villas & Spa
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
SunConnect Kolymbia Star
#6 of 33 in Kolimbia
Princess Andriana Resort & Spa

Been to Holiday Village Rhodes? Share your experiences!