“Ocean Urgh!”

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Ialyssos
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Ocean Urgh!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Having just read the last two reviews I can only echo all that was said. The only positive thing I can say about our stay at this so called 5 star hotel is that I managed to loose weight rather than put it on ! the food was disgusting, served up in the most unappetising way ans was indeed that when we complained it was cold the manager told use the microwave and that no one else had complained, which was a blatant lie since I heard several people doing just that.
I used the" jacuzzi" bath one day and was greeted with an awful smell which coud have only been the stale water left in the system and now in my bath water.
One morning the swimming pool had scum floating all over the top of it. I have photos to prove it. People still swam in it and when I Complained I was told there was no problem as other people were happy to swm in it .
When I confronted the manager about the fact we had no water either hot or cold from 4-00pm, until the next day he threatened to call the Police! The glass situation is a joke. Our bed was made up with two single sheets and when I pulled them back to photograph them I discovered I was sleeping on a urine stained mattress. Other customers had equally bad complaints, the bathrooms flood reguarly. Customers move rooms on a regular basis, up to 4 times. The animation team were awful, same music every day, 5 euros for one game of bingo, rip off !
We moved hotels for our second week to a four star hotel and the difference was measurable across all areas. The pool was cleaned by a machine overnight, all night. The staff were happy helpful and friendly. The animation team were in a different league.
My Dad said he could understand why the Greek economy is in a mess as they seem to have got 1 and 5 mixed up !
Whatever you do don't stay here, if you have already booked try and change your reservation or else good luck I pity you.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank missie31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

meant to be 5star i would even rate it. we were iN 4 rooms in 5 days. food horrible snack bar am speachless about one particular day was rice chips or cauliflower yuk. privare pools disgusting watched cleaners use them to clean mops etc in. main pool not very clean. beach about 6 foot long with about 9 sun beds. I COULD GO ON AND ON FOREVER. dont go here if u have any sense.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gillian1_12

Travelers are raving about these Ialyssos hotels

Rishon Le Zion
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We're back after a week on Rhodes. Ocean Blue Hotel. Our first room was 261 on the second Blue Street. The first sign was when the bellboy could not open the door with a magnetic card - bellboy told "it is low battery" and was forced to flee for the usual key. At this time my wife sat on a chair which was broken and we noticed that the pool is half empty. We entered the room, set on the air-condition. Bellboy showed us a small empty refrigerator, suddenly called it a "mini-bar", received 5 euros and left. Spend some time into the room, we noticed that the air conditioner produce wind, noise and nothing else. We called to the reception and waited for repairs - key, aircondition, pool, chair. After the third call came manager and two technician - for door and for airconditioner - nothing was repair. We ask reception to change the room - no room available. But "door's master(!)" say that room 260 is empty and we can move in. We ask to check conditioner and belive that it's working. We spend our first night at 28 degree. Wall between bathroom and badroom made from milky glass - it is very stylish but if anybody come into bathroom at night - badroom full with light and you can see interesting pantomima. When sun start to rising (about 4 am) - light filled your room like anti-aircraft searchlight. Our second day starts with phone call to reception - fix conditioner and fill the pool. Came same bellboy to check conditioner and agree with us. From the reception promised send to us the engineer to fix it. At midday we meet with manager which tells us - they put a new pump and pool is full. It was right, but conditioner is in same condition and wasn't water in the tap. It was look like the our pool was filled with whole hotel's water. Finally we recive room 204 in main hotel building with good air conditioner.
Yeah... we change three rooms for two days. Each room has 10 inch TV and not working jacuzzi. In bathroom was not shower holder and shower curtain - you get out of the bath into a puddle of water on the floor.
The private beach located across the road and suggest 5 meter large pebbles without sunbeds and umbrellas. You can take pool towels from reception for free - but on towels has not any mark's. We was lazy to took our own towels at time - and lose it forever. Staff collect the all towels around the pool at 6.30-7.00 pm although pool open till 8 pm. Our friends later found their towels at other people. Nice, isn't it.
In our last day in neighbour village was large artificial fire - pools, sunbeds, towels, tables, chairs and all path were covered with ash.

Room Tip: Room must be in main building.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Recently stayed at the Ocean Blue and it was the worst holiday that I have ever had!!! The hotel was sold as a 5star but was more like a poor 3 star hotel. Most of the staff find it hard to smile and be polite to you. The worst thing was that the food was horrid! Would not feed it to my worst enemy!!! Lastly the hotel manager offered me outside for a fight when I complained, very unprofessional!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Adamwitcombe
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 13, 2012

1. food was disgusting, same meal every single day!!
2. service is terrible at the desk asked to fix our AC 7 times and it took them 5 days to finally move us because we couldn't take the heat at night
the room was literally a sauna
3. filthy tiny bugs were jumping on the bed all night i think it was ticks my child has bites and rash all over her body will be going to a physician first thing monday!
4.the 3 of us were sleeping on two single beds
5. the cleaner took the 3rd pillow out of the room and it took them 15 hours to find another one.
2days without water and on the 5th it was also closed for 5 hours

overall wow
this is more of a 3* AT MOST!

never again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank James W
CHESHIRE
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have just returned from the Ocean Blue hotel - 28th June - 5th July 2012.

Good points:- Rooms clean, free air conditioning, free safe deposit box (€10 returnable), large air conditioned restaurant, Sunshine, kids pool slide.

NOW THE BAD POINTS.......

We are hardened all inclusive travellers so we know what to expect, the food is very poor quality - brussel sprouts and carrots most meals, standard all inclusive breakfast, lunch - (fatty potatoe sticks) chips?? at a push you could find meals, run out of hot food very quickly, replaced with very cheap substitute dishes, evening meal - very bland and luke warm - one night cauliflower, chick peas, white rice all in one section no thought gone into making a meal, sweet and sour chicken but not rice, then rice and nothing to go with it!
Run out of wine in the restraunt, run out of vodka in bar, if bar manager doesn't like you you receive one drink per person so you cannot get one for your partner as well they have to get up and get their own! the pool bar served snacks which were left overs from breakfast and lunch you could only get beer, wine, soft drinks and ozuo during the day all served in childrens plastic cups, only able to get ice cream between certain hours, children being turned away because they missed the allocated time slot.

The pool is merky but a nice size... NOW TO THE BEST BIT - THE ROOM

The smell of sewerage when you put your air con on is sickening and over powering, this was the worst part of the holiday, we didn't meet any body who hadn't moved rooms at least twice, one couple moved 5 times and 3 female friends had to share a double bed for 4 nights.

Staff unfriendly - a smile would be nice, restaurant/bar manager never smiled, never spoke except to tell you what you can't do.

The Itailian restaurant on site they said is all inclusive but you have to pay for your drinks (bottle of wine €15)

On the direct flight path to the airport with planes low over head - you don't need binoculars to read serial number underneath, a steady stream through out the day starting early in the morning.

They should rename this hotel the Ocean Poo due to the smell, we believe the hotel has changed hands recently formerly the sunflower hotel, standards have dramatically dropped as a couple we met had stayed there before and were disguised at the state of it now and couldn't wait to leave - no way is this a 3 star let a lone a 5* as advertised.

Room Tip: 4th floor no balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KEVYNCheshire
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Firstly, I don't normally take notice of reviews, I like to make my own judgment, what a mistake I made.
Please don't book here if you want a friendly, accommodating 5*hotel. Sorry if you’ve already booked.
I could go on and on about the bad points but here are the main issues:-
1.Reception staff were rude, when we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with "PASSPORTS". The receptionist was busy chatting to another member of staff throughout checking us in.
2.The Bar – we stood for around 5 mins waiting to be served on our first night, bar maid was “busy” cleaning glasses but had obviously seen us, two men walked up to the bar and were immediately served by her. I was refused two cocktails at the bar for myself and my partner because apparently I'd had enough free drinks that evening and was taking advantage of the all inclusive. I was allowed to have ONE drink, and was told if my partner wanted one he had to go to the bar himself!!!!! My partner ended up having a heated argument with a coloured man who appeared to be the Manager. Oh yes, after I walked out of the bar with my one drink two men walked out after me with two cocktails each!!
3. Staff never smile here, never seem happy, maybe because of the Manager???
4. It was a lovely nostalgic trip back in time to see the small portable TV in our room, similar to one I had in the 80's. It broke down twice in the week we were there, the repair man turned up 9 hours after we reported it, told us to leave it two hours and try again - surprise surprise it still didn't work.
5. We had a leak from the ceiling onto the floor in the bathroom, very close to the air conditioning unit.
6. If you want privacy don’t book the upgrade with the pool in front of your room. I can’t speak for the other rooms but in ours there was a huge window from the bedroom into the bathroom, it overlooks the bath and the toilet. Also just a hand shower in the bath, I expected both shower and bath in a 5* hotel.
7. Not enough sun loungers for all guests.
8. Entertainment!! Didn’t really see any at night, not sure it existed.
I’m happy go lucky kind of person and will make good out of bad situations, but this hotel really got to me. I’ll be reading reviews before booking my holidays in future.

Room Tip: If you don't want to see your partner sat on the toilet don't book the room upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lynn S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Pylea Beach Hotel
#14 of 31 in Ialyssos
Electra Palace Rhodes
Electra Palace Rhodes
#2 of 31 in Ialyssos

Been to The Ocean Blue? Share your experiences!