Blue Horizon Hotel
Dodeca Sea Resort(Ialyssos)
Hotel Terinikos(Ialyssos)
Alea Hotel(Ialyssos)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsroom with sea viewhalf boardper daybreakfast and dinnerrelaxing holidaywindsurfingbungalowsunbathingeurosentertainmentgreecepebblescocktailsmaria
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in this hotel because of the windsurfing center. We had a bungalow with garden view. Room was very clean although old-fashioned. Hotel was not too crowded and therefore quiet. This is an ideal choice to combine windsurfing activities and holiday with family.
Food was not exceptional but above standards for this type of hotel.
Rhodos city is 20 min away by bus (stop is 10 min walk from the hotel)
Only inconvenient is proximity with the airport: planes fly over the resort before landing....

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank ArNo73000
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was concerned about staying at this hotel but I needn't have been - it is a lovely place to stay. The hotel is without doubt very clean and welcoming. The staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful at all times. The location is fine for a more low key holiday with several bars, restaurants and supermarkets within a very short walking distance. If you want more night life perhaps choose a livelier resort but if you are seeking somewhere where a walk around a few shops after dinner is sufficient then Lalyssos is just fine.

The hotel is located right by the beach but its not the best beach in the world - a mixture of stone and grey sand but the sea was crystal clear and its an excellent resort for windsurfing. If a beach is your priority then this part of Rhodes isn't for you! The pool area isn't huge and some of the beds could do with being replaced but it was always clean and the gardens were pleasant with a beach bar/restaurant overlooking the beach.

Our room was a standard room facing the road side but we were glad of this as the sun stayed until it went down so it was great to sit on the balcony after the sun had left the pool. Yes, a pool or sea view would have been lovely (and cost more) but those rooms were in the shade late afternoon. Our room was clean with clean towels daily, a hair dryer, a fridge and beach towels were also provided which was a nice surprise. On our last day we were able to use shower rooms and we were given clean towels which meant we could enjoy our last day without worrying about freshening up before going home.

The food was lovely - OK, there wasn't a massive choice compared to some hotels but it was good quality and nicely cooked. In 10 nights we never struggled to fill our plates....meat was always beautifully tender and there was always a selection of vegetables and salad. The only thing we would have liked more of was fresh fruit and yoghurts. There was lovely Greek yoghurt every morning but individual yoghurts would have been nice to eat after dinner.

There is a bus into Rhodes Town/Old Town which goes every 15 minutes but the bus stop is a good 15 minutes walk away. It costs 2.20 euros each way into the city and the buses run until about midnight. Alternatively, a taxi costs 14 euros each way. Rhodes Old Town was lovely - cobbled streets and little shops selling leather goods, jewellery and fake designer clothes but they were not cheap and in fact, some of the clothes were the same price as the authentic ones back home. There was some pressure at times from shop keepers but their economy is poor and they are desperate to sell their goods. We found the shop keepers in Lalyssos were more friendly than those in the city so we were more inclined to buy from them.

With regards to aircraft flying over - yes, there were lots of planes most days and they were low as the airport is only about 15 minutes away. But, it didn't concern us and the noise didn't disturb us.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for its lovely relaxed atmosphere, its cleanliness and the welcome from the staff. Don't be put off by any negative reviews - there is no pleasing some people!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Julie16111967
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed in three different hotel during our holiday in July. We choosed Blue Horizon, because it was near our second hotel. This was the cheapest hotel from our hotels, but not so terrible as someone had told. The room was clean, bathroom was quite roomy and the room's cleaning level was good. Breakfast was averige and dinner was a little bit poor. We got a halfboard free, because we reservated our room so early. If you have to pay from the dinner, it is a better choice to eat restaurangs which are nearby.
We enjoyed our seaview and our room, we were happy about Blue Horizons level. It is quite cheap hotel and you can't wait it too much.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Arin13
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose Blue Horizon because we were looking for a hotel close to the airport. We arrived to find our room with a leak out of the bathroom from an unknown source. We went promptly to the desk and they sent maintenance over, two guys who could not figure it out and said the only solution was for the maid to mop it up. We asked the management for a room change as we could see it was going to be an ongoing problem, but they claimed we must have had some part in it--perhaps showers--but we just walked into the room. They kept claiming it would be fixed, but it kept leaking. Finally a maid came over and said there clearly was a problem and she put towels on the floor and that's how we lived with it until our early morning flight. The property is next to the beach and clearly caters to tour groups. When we left early in the morning, there were no lights to guide us to the lobby--a bit scary. I would imagine that there are much better choices for airport hotel stays.

Room Tip: Even though we had problems, the rooms facing the beach seemed to be the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Three of us spent in this hotel 8 days. We arrived in the hotel at 7:30 am and immediately got our room (even check-in time was 12:00). The room was good: very clean, new furniture, more or less good bathroom, and amazing see view!!! The receptionist was nice, BUT told us that we were not allowed to have breakfast even we said that our agency guide told us that we can have a breakfast. Anyway, we agreed with the receptionist and decided that we will get lunch box in the last day. We really liked this hotel: it is not very new but good enough for budget vacation. The pool is good, hotel located near the beach, and very green. Many people say that it is very loud because of the airplanes but I wouldn't agree with that, it didn't bother us at all neither during night or day. Don't be afraid of this.
What I didn't like was staff in the restaurant, they were very unfriendly. I felt uncomfortable to ask for tea or coffee as it looked like I bothered them. Usually they've brought coffee when we finished our breakfast already and for 3 of us it was small coffee pot exactly for 3 cups. I wouldn't mind to brought coffee on my own but they didn't allowed to do so. Once I was told very strictly that I did smth wrong (I didn't get what exactly: or choose wrong table or asked wrong question), anyway I tried not to speak to them and not to order anything. That was very unusual for me as in other hotels I always chat with waitresses. This is what I really didn't like.
The food was ok, agree that it wasn't very various and not enough fruits, but considering great Greece restaurants I would recommend take only breakfast in this hotel and have lunch and dinner somewhere in Rhodos city. We skipped dinner 3 times and went to the city to try another restaurant. Really enjoyed it.
The WiFi is expensive 2 EUR for 30 min, but keep in mind that you have 5 minutes free wifi to test. So you can test it first.
Important information!!! This hotel does not serve lunch boxes. So if you are leaving before breakfast (this is what happened to us), they will not give you anything. What we were told in the last day was that we should have our breakfast in the first day. When we said why you then in the first day told us that we can't have breakfast?! The receptionist said I have NO idea, I wasn't here. In other words no matter what receptionists say if you are leaving very early before breakfast but arriving early enough, go and have breakfast! Otherwise you will loose it.
Couple words about beach: beach is a mix if pebble and sand, see was windy but not too bad, I am not a good swimmer but it was ok for me.
I would recommend this hotel however keep in mind things I described above. Rhodes is a great island:))

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends