Blue Horizon Hotel
$398
  • Restaurant
Hostelworld.com
  • Pool
All reviewsroom with sea viewhalf boardper daybreakfast and dinnerrelaxing holidaywindsurfingbungalowsunbathingeurosentertainmentgreecepebblescocktailsmaria
Reviewed June 15, 2013

this is a lovely hotel,lovely setting ,pool and gardens right on the beach with bungalows or rooms,food is good ,bacon every day for breakfast unlike some hotels,no complaints something for everyone.we had a roadside room,which we liked as we got the sun from morning till evening, and we still had a sea, view looking down the road, it was not noisey at night as some might think and we would book the same room next time as you could see something going on.rooms cleaned every day with clean towels and bedding change daily,staff all friendley, bar lovely and good exchange rate for a hotel,good location,taxi from airport 14 euro.will be back again next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank riorita23
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Loved every minute of our time here. Nothing to complain about at all.It isnt a 4 star really, but near enough. Bar, pool, restaurantall suitable for us.The places outside of the hotel give lots of bars and restaurants all serving excellent food. Great weather, not a cloud in the sky.Cant wait to go back next year. Started our holiday fund already.

Room Tip: ASk for a pool view room or a front room. not a bungalow.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank anassa62
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Expecting a traditional Greek town I arrived at 1pm to a holiday resort with it's one main street full of tacky tourist shops, fake sunglasses & lots of mini supermarkets. A lot of bars/cafe's with no ambience.

Mid September and 31degrees, very sunny clear blue sky.

Hotel looked great on arrival, nice & clean and my 1st floor bedroom was lovely, the balcony was above the well kept gardens & I had a nice sea view. Loads of wardrobe/cupboard space and a handy fridge. A decent size bathroom with a bath and shower & hairdryer.

Then at 2.30pm my peace was destroyed by loud music from the adjacent hotel so I went to explore the hotel grounds & local area. More music noise blaring around our pool & sunbathing area. So I wandered to the beach - very rocky with duck egg size pebbles. I discovered that each sunbed costs 3euros even though they're in the grounds of the hotel gardens & beach!

I returned to my room around 4pm and the loud music from the adjacent hotel had stopped and peace & tranquillity returned. I enjoyed the sea view in the sunshine from my balcony with a Frappe ahh, heaven.

All staff are polite and helpful, everywhere is spotlessly clean. A mini train stops outside the hotel but only takes you up & down the main street so all you see are more tourist shops - not worth 5 euros. The main bus stop is three quarters of a mile away & buses to Rhodes town run every fifteen minutes.

Only 3 English guests in total and 1 couple from Scotland - all the other guests were either from Germany, Poland, Russia or Holland.

The only place to get any daytime drink or snack at the hotel is from the beach bar so, instead, I went to the mini market & stocked up on water, fruit etc to store in the fridge in my room.

After not eating much all day I was looking forward to dinner - agghhh, the restaurant is like a canteen!! People were scrabbling around for tables, the waiters were clearing them quickly but not resetting places so guests were looking for clean cutlery & glasses to set the tables themselves. There are over 500 guests having to use this restaurant & only 4 or 5 waiters, no surprise the staff are all stressed and rushing around - expect to wait a while for a drink.

Don't bother 'dressing' for dinner, many guests were wearing the same Tshirt, shorts & flip flops they'd worn for breakfast!! This is rated a 4* hotel yet no head waiter and no dress code.

The food is all buffet style and I was surprised at the small 'stations' but they were replenished regularly & enough food for everyone. The choices are limited and the food is basic but ok.
The noise in the restaurant is atrocious, with waiters clearing tables as quick as poss by banging plates & cutlery, even a trolley for dirty dishes was being dragged around by a harassed waitress which she managed to bump into guests and actually run the wheels over a guests foot! She was so busy and stressed she hadn't even noticed what she'd done.
Now this sort of atmosphere is ok(ish) at breakfast, but evening dinner was anything but a nice relaxing time. After 4 nights, I found a lovely Greek Taverna and chose to eat there - ok, so I was losing out on the half board I'd paid at Blue Horizon but at least I could enjoy my food without any stress!!

Beaches very stony & unsuitable for children & infirm people. There is a Windsurfing Centre on the beach. I found a nice beach bar with great prices, and free sunbed use on the beach (way past their best condition but served their purpose and added to the informality of Greek charm). The place is so relaxed & the food is very fresh and cooked to perfection. It's called Sunny Beach Bar and from the front of the hotel is on the right about half way down the road. OR, walking from the beach, it's on the left of the hotel and set back a little, only noticable by a battered board advertising "Sunbeds free only for customers". What a gem!

Entertainment at the hotel for the first 3 nights was karaoke and from an audience of 30 it was the same half dozen eager amateurs. The 4th night was bingo & a quiz of music from the 50's & 60's so very dated I didn't bother going again.

I won't return to this hotel again, mainly because of it's location being so much a tourist spot.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Chrissie2401
Reviewed October 2, 2012

lovely hotel, very happy with my room and the service---check the 'internet--what you see is what you get;
nice pool, gardens and beach----the pebbles are not the fault of the hotel, clear view of the Turkish coastline;
very helpfull staff, particularly in the restaurant who took care of me, a 'lone' traveller; decent and plentiful food with ample choice, both breakfast and dinner; the red wine went down well too;
plenty of shops, both local and ''touristy'' easily walkable, and within a few minutes to the bus to Rhodes Town;
would recommend, especially for the ''not so young''.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room with a sea view--that is what I got---242
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sarahl1947
Reviewed September 26, 2012

stayed for 1 week 12/19 sept,we had a lovely welcome from helleni,always smiling and gave us an upgrade to a seaview room lovely view, everything you want but does need updating but that said had a great week,maids friendly in fact all staff great ,especially themos on the bar an ambassedor for the hotel and makes good cocktails ,maria.to is so friendly,breakfast is good no complaints.bacon every day,along with scrambled eggs ,omlette, fried eggs every other day. 2 warm cakes or croissents all you need,evening meal again,enough to satisfy.not alot of english in the hotel,but does it matter we were there to enjoy ouselves and we did, will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple