“"You get what you pay for"”

Staffordshire
“"You get what you pay for"”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My friend and I have just returned from the Kassandra Apartments..This for us was a VERY cheap break.The apartment was very basic.We had a one bedroom apartment overlooking the Car Park and Main Road.Very noisy!! Sheets and Towels changed daily by overworked cleaning staff, who were very friendly despite their lack of English.The Complex has two Swimming Pools,and Childrens Pool,and is very pleasant, also two snack bars, the food was acceptable for the cost.I found the Pool and Bar Staff to be generally pleasant but they are obviously affected by the Greek Crisis and this is their sole topic of conversation. I am not into Politics while on my Holidays. The front desk Staff were totally indifferent to any requests for help or advice. The "Kassandra Supermarket" is grossly overpriced and understocked,possibly because just across the main road is a "Carrefore" where all ones needs are met, apart from decent bread,this you can get by turning left at the main road and walking approx 10minutes.
The long stretch of Beach at Trianda is just a short stroll away,(Turn left at the back gate) this area is good for Wind Surfing, Good choice of eateries. there is a cooling constant breeze/wind. Watch out for the Frogs, yes!! Frogs at night coming out to feed on sand flies, I have never seen this before anywhere in the World.
The Bus stops just outside the Apartments on the main road, 2euro 20cents to Rhodes Town, you pay as you get on.The old Town of Rhodes is magnificient.Make sure you buy your Bus ticket for your return from the kiosk, they shout the destination so no chance of missing your stop!!!
One word of warning!! In Rhodes..you are constantly being harrassed by Beggars,People selling Time Share,and itinerants,If one is unaware it can be quite alarming as they are very very persistant.Also watch your pockets!!
I did enjoy my holiday with my friend, I have not mentioned average temperature 37deg day...27night..This was a bit too hot for venturing too far.

The holiday was very cheap we paid £320 for the two of us booking just 4 days before departure...I have travelled thoroughly throughout Greece. This holidays was as expected "You get what you pay for" Rhodes is NOT one of my favourites. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Car Park Noisy,but Cooler.I think it depends on who you travel with on Room alloca...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tayport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I write this review on the 3rd day of a 14 day stay , I'll keep it short as I'm typing on an iPhone but will do a full review when back in the uk

Not sure what a few of these past people are talking about , I know they are from a few years ago , but

Really impressed with the place , location is great , 2 min walk to the beach/bars/restaurants

If you are SC , there is a big new supermarket across the road , if not , the food on site is really good and well priced, just had the Greek salad and it was massive and only 3.50euro

Only bad point ( so far ) is 2 off the reception staff , could be a bit more friendly , but the 2 George's n room cleaners are very nice ......

More to follow

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Aaron C
KassandraHotel, Ιδιοκτήτης at Kassandra Family ApartHotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2016
Dear Aaron C

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a personal review here on TripAdvisor following your stay at the Kassandra Family ApartHotel.

It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide service and hospitality are so much appreciated.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is a great hotel, the only problem is the location. It is a treck to both the beach and the town. About 5 mins walk to both and the beach is rocky. Other than that it was perfect. Bus stop outside so you can get easily and cheaply about. I reccomend the capital of the island. Supermarket on site as well as a restaurant and bars. Reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank AndysN20
Dear AndysN20

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2011

The receptionists were very unfriendly. The room was quite dark and not very appealing..We were in self catering and for that we had to bring our own toaster. We read the reviews before we left home and someone suggested to take a toaster or you would have to rent one! Thank goodness we did.It was all very very basic in the kitchen. The shower didn't work properly as the fitting to hold it to the wall, was broken.
The toilet/bathroom was really quite smelly.We did have hot water though.
The cleaners were really nice and friendly and changed the beds every day.
We had asked for a quiet room and the room we got was reasonably quiet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sadie152

Travelers are raving about these Ialyssos hotels

Viborg, Denmark
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Sorry, I can’t say much positive about the Kassandra Appartments and I would not recommend this hotel to people who are planning on spending time around the hotel (or people who enjoy a good nights sleep when on holiday).

On arrival, the reception area and main pool area seemed quite nice. First impressions can be deceiving though.

The room was very basic: tiny and ancient kitchenette unit with a 2 ring stove. There was no water pressure in the kitchen tap. The walls were paper thin – I wish I’d taken ear plugs because you can hear everything in the other rooms. The furniture was all very dated: small flimsy table on the balcony, tiny table inside barely big enough for two let alone four. There were bare wires in the poorly lit bathroom. Once I had to wait 15 minutes for warm water. As with everywhere in Greece, toilet paper can’t be flushed down the toilet, so the tiny bin fills up very quickly with a family of 4. The toilet and tap dripped constantly.

The second pool area was dated and smelled of sewage, which attracted flies. Not surprisingly there was always plenty of space around this pool.

The outdoor play area consisted of a 30 year old slide and creaky swings (there is a good playground down by the beach – 15 minutes down the road).

The children’s play area in the bar area was also dated and only really suitable for under 3s.

There was no light in the lift. Parts of the hotel seemed to have been closed off in the 80s and were now used to store broken furniture. It gave the place a shabby, deserted feel.

Some of the staff were unfriendly. When I asked for a map of the area the receptionist replied “there is no map”, although she did indicate the way to the beach and the town. We set off towards the town, along the very busy main road and by luck found the street with all the restaurants. I say by luck, because on the first night we made the mistake of eating at the hotel’s restaurant which was probably last furnished in 1985. We received burnt pizza, chewy meat, and tasteless soft drinks. That night my wife had stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea, and spent the next day in bed.

The toilets in the restaurant area are found in the cellar. Take a torch because hardly any of the lights work. The floor was often flooded too.

As it was late in the season the only ice cream available was vanilla or chocolate in one of those cheap polystyrene wafers. They ran out before the end of our stay. The supermarket attached to the shop was also running with half empty shelves. There were no ice creams left, I bought the last Diet Coke on the first day, the fruit and veg was going mouldy. One of the shop assistants smoked like a train causing most of the produce to smell of cigarette smoke.

On the last day I would estimate there were 20 people left in the hotel. The coach to the airport was not due to 20.25, but as usual we had to check out of the room at 12.00. Having 2 small kids I hoped it might be possible to keep the room a bit longer, as there were clearly plenty of empty rooms for any new guests. However the man at reception advised me it would still cost me 30 Euros. I know this is standard, but with an empty hotel I thought they might be able to make an exception.

Ialyssos is not a very nice area. The road is very busy and there are loose dogs everywhere. The two memorials over the road are presumably for past accident victims.

On the plus side the cleaners came every day and were friendly. As a base to travel to Rhodes town it is fine. The bus stop is just outside, buses to Rhodes go about every 15 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes to get to Rhodes town (be prepared for a crowded bus though). The best beaches are on the other side of the island. The holiday company ran an excursion to the nicer beach or you can get a bus from Rhodes town.

It seems as if someone has started to make an effort with the hotel but either given up or run out of money. Ialyssos itself is fairly run down. There were a lot of closed down restaurants, empty building sites etc.

On our trip to the other side of the island we saw plenty of nice hotels and much nicer beaches.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Matt C
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2011

ON arrival we were met by a very unfriendly receptionist(never saw her smile in the 14 day we were there) given a key,told were our room was,3 floor 263 ,well what a dark,dingy place it was,like most other's we were self catering,2 ringed cooker (1 ring did not work ) the balcony was good though,we overlooked a privet appartment,who had a dog on the balcony,that barked in time with all the other dog's,the plane's were comming in all day and night,on conplaining we were offered a studio (we had paid for a 2 bedroom apartment) even smaller,one good thing,we had a very nice house keeper,kept our room very clean,on the last night we had cockroaches in the bathroom and kitchen,was told it was because it rained ?.never again will I go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sheila b
portsmouth
Reviewed October 4, 2011

after reading some reviews of the kassandra appts, I was abit weary. I dont know why people have complained to be honest?!
We arrived early hours of the monday morning, the receptionist (very friendly) gave us our keys, showed us where to go, and said that the bar was still open if we wanted a drink.
Our room 222, was lovely and spacious, big balcony, nice size kitchenette that comes with working kettle and fridge. We didnt use the hot plates, but all cutlery is there for you to use.
The towels and sheets are changed daily, which was lovely to come back after being out everyday, to a clean bed and clean towels!
There is a tv, but who wants to watch Tv when you're abroad? You can do that at home!!!
Yes the shower is small, and its not a power shower, but its hot water, and it does the job for when you get up in the morning, or come back from the beach or the pool for the day! Its greece dont expect a massive bathroom!
The supermarket next door was good for basics, water, beers, milk, I'd already bought teabags. But for my of a variety of food etc go to the main strip of shops up the road 10 mins away, all the supermarkets sell cereals etc.
We could have eaten breakfast at the hotel, but 5.50 euros, we stuck with our museli and a ham and cheese roll every morning. The bread over there is far more lovely than what we have back here at home, and only 20 cents for a large roll, bargain!
The 1st night we ate at Sirtaki Grill House Taverna up amoungst the main strip of shops and bars etc. I had swordfish, it was huge, filled half my plate and was only 7.50 euros! It came with salad and few chips, was stuffed! So we thought thats it, we'll come back here again. 2nd night we ate at the Itailian pizza place just opposite, my other halves pizza looked lovely, whilst mine was soggy, probably cause the chef put on about 3 green peppers and covered it with them!!
We then hit upon Posperi. If you walk out of the Kassandra Appts take a right walk up towards the traffic lights. Over the road there is a bar/cafe, walk past that, head on down the road, its dark and you wonder where you are, take the 2nd left opposite Pro Direct a computer shop. Walk down that road, Posperi is next to a car engine shop, it isnt sign posted, only a small sign outside. But the meze in there is just to die for, every night we had 5 diffrent mezes to share and a mythos each. It ranged from between 23 euros to 28 euros. Which for what we got every night was brilient. Its all cooked there and then, so its fresh, they even give you a free chocalate cake, or fruit with greek youghurt as dessert for free at the end of your meal. We liked it that much we took our cases on our last night there, ate, then went to the airport!
I cant comment on The Kassandra food that they had on offer as we never ate there, but beer good and cheap, and always served nuts with your beers!
Used the pool one day, when we got the beach the waves were abit choppy, so we had a pool day, very nice and chilled out, but you can taste the chlorine! Which isnt pleasant, but for a cool down in 35 degree heat it was worth it!
Everyone has said about the cats. Now we have cats here at home. So they dont bother us. The ones at the Kassandra are looked after, they're fed, you can see that they dont scrounge for food, if anything all they're after is abit of affection. Had one of the little ginger ones sat onmy lap on our 2nd night. They mainly all come from the house that is situated at the front of the appartments and next to the supermarket. But we found them no bother.
The beach from the Kassandra, walk out of the main doors and walk left down the dirt road, you'll be able to see some gorgeous villas/apaprtments, some not (the villa that is pastal pink leaves much to be desired!) head on down and there you are at the beach. I would advise buying or taking your own flip flops/trainers for the water, as its a stone/shingle/sand beach. And the walk from your sunbed into the water killed my feet the 1st day. But the water is so warm, and you can float round where its salty. The guys who collect the money for the sunbeds are pretty relaxed and letyou have a swim forst before they get their money from you. 8 Euros for 2 sunbeds for the day. You do get the mad donut man as I called him 'special donuts chocalate carmel mmm' everyday. Also the chinese massage ladies. Now this I did do, but only cause I watched another lady next to me have one done. 20 euros for a back massage, except it wasnt just my back, it was my arms, face and head too, which I thought was worth it!
Now bars near the hotel. Nikos Bar was brillient, run by Niko (as you may have guessed) but unfortunatly is retiring at the end of this season, or so he says! (We think he might give it one more year, he likes it too much!) But 2 euros for a large beer, plus showed some of the footy games too. He also made some mean cocktails!!! For footy lovers such as us, if you walked up the road, past The Catus Taverna, and walk round past The Blue Angel, carry on down and you've got Alkionis Bar, which has got 18 screens and shows every premership game, champions league, and some championship football. Drinks ok, 3 euros each, we didnt try the food, but what other people had looked good!. If you walk down abit further theres kaveliros that serves basic food, drink and has 2 large projector type screens.
Bus stop is just outside the Kassandra so a trip into Rhodes Town is worth it only 2.10 euros each, be warned we went end of season, and they squashed us on like sardines, not pleasant! By the time we got off at Rhodes Town, needed water and sit down! Oh and in Rhodes Town if you get stopped by an Agean Blue Rep with scratchcards, dont do it! I'd apprently won a 'big' prize, a free holiday which isnt so free when you read the small print! They're just rying to flog a sort of timeshare thing at you! If you want that go for it! But its not worth the time and hassle!
So, will we go back, yes, will we stay at the same place, yes, and will we do more next time than this year, yes!

Room Tip: Our room over looked the road next to the hotel, but we had a pool view also, room 222 where we stay...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank domb1977
KassandraHotel, Ιδιοκτήτης at Kassandra Family ApartHotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2016
Dear domb1977

mail to: hotelkassandra@gmail.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
Sunday Hotel
#1 of 19 in Ialyssos
Sun Beach Resort Complex
Sun Beach Resort Complex
#4 of 31 in Ialyssos

Been to Kassandra Family ApartHotel? Share your experiences!