“Dirty towels”

ALS Hotel
Ranked #108 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
“Dirty towels”
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

What's bad: I didn't expect much from this hotel and was still dissatisfied. As others say you can't expect to get new towels every day. Sometimes we had to bring them down to the reception and ask for new ones. The breakfast is a joke. We tried it a couple of mornings but it was so bad that we gave up and had breakfast in one of the local restaurants instead. Small rooms with small beds. I am only about 173 cm and my feet where hanging out. There are chairs on the terasse but no table.

What's good: location..

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Kleiveland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Skotterud
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just came back from a week's stay in the Als hotel.... The location is great; but the hotel lacks personality and comfort. It was certainly not the cheapest hotel, but it seems they are stuck in the past when it comes to breakfast especially. Terrible coffee, awful "juice"! My advice is to visit a nearby cafe; they serve an excellent breakfast and also provides half of the guests at Elli Beach with good baguettes! :)
Als has not been updated in 20 years, or so it seems...
The maid did a very good job of keeping our room clean, changing towels every day, and even bedlinen twice. I don't think we got value for our moeny here, and will not be recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room at the Cactus Hotel.....
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ronita67

Travelers are raving about these Rhodes Town hotels

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed August 12, 2011

It is a cheep hotel and I knew that room wouldn't be much but the thing that disappointed me was that there were no clean towels and they picked the old towels from the floor and served them as new. When I went to the reception to ask for new ones the receptionist gave me dirty ones from someone else. Then I went again and he gave me clean ones.. I hope.
But the next day they took the clean ones and again served dirty ones. After that I gave up.

The small room and the small dirty bathroom were no problem, I knew where I was going. But at least I expected clean towels every two days.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jorg N
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My sister and I stayed at Als Hotel 10 days ago and we would recommend it only to teenagers or students who don't care where they sleep. Our first night was awful, we were next to some girls who were shouting and drinking the whole night and everybody was slapping doors no matter the time of the day....Breakfast was not much, every morning the same things. The room seemed clean but we had the impression they didn't clean the toilet thoroughly...The only good thing was its position....So, if you have to go there - good luck!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank manama294454
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The hotel owner was very rude, and made us feel uncomfortable. We did not get clean towles every day, instead they picked up the dirty ones from the floor and folded them together again. And the fact that we were five people sharing a room, we never knew who's towel we eould end up using.

The breakfast was terrible, and impossible to eat. The bathroom was small, and did not feel very clean. When you went to the bathroom, you had to have your feet inside the shower. The location is the only think i liked about this hotel, and I would never go back there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Tel-Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Als Hotel is located in a very central place in Rhodes (near the restaurants and gift shops district and near the beach and the Casino). It's a small and "straight to the point hotel".

While the room (room for one) was OK and had all the basics I needed (clean, enough space, comfortable enough bed, small fridge and TV) - the bathroom was really a "Deal breaker". It was really tiny, not even big enough for one person. The toilet is so near the shower, that you don't even have room to stand in front of it (only next to it, which is quite weird). There is just a small shelf below the mirror, that wasn't enough space for my toiletries bag. I had to make "juggling" and move it from side to side.

The shower itself is also very small, and the curtain doesn't reach the floor. This means that every shower makes the floor very wet, and you need to use a towel to cover it. It's a real pity, since the room is quite decent (even had a view to the sea). But using this kind of toilet+shower is really uncomfortable.

I tried the breakfast once, and all the food was not tasty - the eggs, bacon and sausages. Not recommended.

One good thing: The reception area has free Wi-Fi, that enables you to connect your laptop to the Internet. Using the Desktop computers that are there costs money.

For conclusion: I would recommend Als Hotel only if you are on a tight budget, and don't mind handling a problematic bathroom.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Before we arrived at the hotel i was terified - would the hotel be located at some dump? will the floor be coverd with ants? will the service be afwul? ( considering the low price we paid)- It took no more then 5 min' for the fears to faid away.
Once we entered, Christo, the lovley manager welcomed us with a big smile. (all along the trip we had a strong connection with Christo, which has a great sence of humor.
Once entering the room we saw a nice clean room with a balcony to the sea (!) .
The only problem we had with the room was a leaking AC that was fixed as soon as we asked.
My friends and i didn't eat the breakfast- but the food seemed fresh, tasty and simple.
I would warmly reccomend for anyone who's looking for a basic hotel with a good price and awsome atmosphire !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple