I have just returned from a two week holiday at The Olympic Palace Hotel in Ixia, Rhodes with my wife and two children (3/5); my fourth visit to Ixia and my first visit to this particular hotel.
The hotel is excellent and really made our holiday the best visit to this resort over a seven year period. We had a family room, which was very spacious, modern and very clean. The room had essentially two double beds (Or a large sofa bed and two singles put together to be more precise), complementary air conditioning, modern/clean bathroom, television, safe(18 Euro for one week) and balcony overlooking the mountain at the rear of the hotel. Our room was serviced thoroughly each day, with beds made, sheets and towels changed as appropriate. Each day we returned to a very clean and tidy room, for which we tipped the maids at the end of the holiday. On one particular morning, my youngest had wet the bed, but the maids did a complete change and sorted this out for us with no hassle at all.
The hotel has a restaurant, for which we had half board; breakfast and evening meal. The restaurant is very large servicing 850 guests each morning and evening during our stay. The food is often buffet style with alternate evenings of buffet, plus gourmet menu option. There is a wide range of food available of excellent quality, with some evenings following a particular theme; such as Greek, Italian, etc. You will not want for anything in the restaurant, especially if you like a selection of cakes and puddings in the evening! Be aware that in peak season the restaurant gets very busy between 1945 and 2100 so do attempt to eat at the beginning or end of service to avoid queues at the restaurant entrance and slow table service. Similarly, the hotel offers breakfast from 07:00 to 10:00 but most people turn up at 09:45 all at once. Be sensible and try to turn up to eat at a reasonable time as the hotel does not run a schedule by room or by floor seating service, although it is of course a holiday too. This hotel works hard to make every guest happy, but there is not much they can do if all 850 guests turn up for breakfast 10 minutes before service finishes.
The facilities at the hotel are excellent; offering 2 outdoor pools, a children’s paddling pool and an indoor pool. One of the pools has a swim up bar, which we enjoyed refreshing beers in the afternoon whilst are feet were still in the water and our children swimming around our feet in the wide shallow step that surrounds the pool bar area. Other facilities include a 5-A-Side football pitch, tennis court, sand volleyball court, table tennis tables, kids club, spa, games room and crazy golf.
There are excellent entertainments throughout the day around the pool area offering the following timetable:
• 10:30 Poolside Stretching
• 11:00 Volleyball Tournament
• 11:30 Water Gym
• 12:00 Poolside Darts Competition
• Various Table Tennis Tournaments
• 15:00 WaterPolo
• 16:00 VolleyBall Tournament
Whilst my wife enjoyed the stretching classes and water gym, which are both excellent activities, I enjoyed a variety of water polo, volleyball, table tennis and darts contests. These entertainments are great fun to either take part in or watch, where you and your children will make friends instantly.
We made good friends with people at the hotel through other couples or large groups via the entertainments. If you’re not looking for an active holiday and want to keep yourself to yourself, the pool area is large enough to allow you to sunbath and relax in relative peace and quiet. The indoor pool offers a quiet retreat if sun is not your thing. The pool area also offers a café at lunch time, with the opportunity to sacrifice your evening meal for vouchers at the café or a packed lunch when you choose to eat out.
The evening entertainment varies from shows to karaoke and bingo, which you may wish to attend, which vary from the poolside entertainments area to the roof bar and lobby bar.
The people at the hotel are very nice and friendly and will do all they can to ensure you have a wonderful stay. I can’t fault this hotel and neither could the people who we shared our holiday with!
We have returned to Ixia on several occasions for a number of reasons; Ixia offers a smattering of excellent restaurants and a couple of nice bars, with no noisy night clubs. It’s a quiet resort opposite a pebble and windy beach, excellent for windsurfing which I have done each year. Ixia is 15-20 minutes from the airport offering a short transfer and is only 10 minutes via taxi to the wonderful Rhodes town and harbour areas. If you’re looking for a base away from the hustle and bustle within easy reach of the main town and airport, this is the place for you. BUT, the main road is very busy at certain times of the day so please be careful when crossing to the beach, which faces the wonderful bay overlooking the Turkish coastline.
If you’re a windsurfer, Dinos at www.windsurfersworld.gr will welcome you to this awesome windsurf location. All new JP boards, North sails at this wave/jump and bump location offering cross onshore wind each day usually bft 4-6 each afternoon in the summer, located directly opposite the hotel.
In summary, if you want a very very quiet spa like hotel with no atmosphere then visit the Amaethus next door, however, if you’re looking for a wonderful, friendly hotel to keep you and your kids of any age rested, fed and entertained by awesome staff with great facilities, then visit the Olympic Palace Hotel.
One more tip, there are no mosquitoes at this hotel! My wife always gets eaten alive, which puts a dampener on her holiday, but zero bites this time. The hotel is cleaned thoroughly and the trees and surrounding mountains are sprayed at 4am each morning relieving you of this worry.
Ixia 10/10. Olympic Palace 11/10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover refined elegance and genuine hospitality. Olympic Palace Resort Hotel & Convention Center, with its unique architectural structure most recently renovated in 2008-12, welcoming and gracious with contemporary and chic interior design, offer's attentive service, upscale amenities, and blissful tranquility. Tastefully designed for comfort, 65% of our guest rooms are sea view with amazingly large verandas, ideal spots to take advantage of the amazing first rays of the sunlight or indulge in the enticing sunsets dipping in the Aegean Sea. Relax in our attractive and spacious gardens, or simply 'chill out' by the swimming pool, and enjoy a warm welcome from our genuinely friendly and hospitable staff. Alternatively you can take a stroll down to the beach and enjoy a swim in the crystal clear blue waters of the Aegean Sea and capture the breathtaking scenery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Olympic Palace Resort Hotel & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Olympic Palace Ixia
- Hotel Olympic Palace
- Olympic Palace Resort Hotel & Convention Center Rhodes, Greece