“Amazing view of Rhodes to go with your cocktail”

Minos Pension & Roof Garden Lounge
Ranked #66 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I only stopped and had a Margarita at the rooftop restaurant but I thought the view was worth a million dollars and the Margarita was quite delicious for Greece. I would recommend this location if you want to catch a coffee or cocktail and take in the amazing view. I cannot speak for the hotel/pension.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank gurutogo

Reviewed January 6, 2012

extremely bad service. despite the fact that we spent only 5hours in the room, we were asked to pay 80 euros which was the fixed amount per day. it didnt worth the money

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 297ninsi
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We decided to stay in Rhodes Town for a night while we were holidaying elsewhere on the island. We'd been to the Minos for a drink in the roof-top bar and decided it would be a great place to stay. It's quite high up in the Old Town so the roof top has great views across the city. We were very warmly welcomed and found it all very comfortable and clean. It looks like it's been recently done up so everything was lovely. The room we had was small with no view but the location is perfect - very quiet and peaceful, with the Old Town at your feet. There were bigger rooms available with a sitting area and kitchen but as we weren't going to be spending time in the room it would have have been a waste of money.

Rhodes Town is great, with lots of places to visit:
The Old Medieval Town - lovely little alley ways, with cobbles, tiny shops and places to sit and relax. It is a bit hilly and cobbles can make walking difficult if you're unsteady on your feet.
The Acropolis above the city. It's walking distance if you're OK on your feet otherwise there is a local bus. No.5, I think.
Several museums and other places of interest, in the Old and New Town.

We were lucky enough to be in Rhodes during the week when National Tourism Day (Sept 27) fell and so all the sites we visited were free. Also they had Open Door in Rhodes Town which was a weekend when sites not usually open to the public were free to enter too.

Excellent!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SetaJane
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Pros
- great location for vising and going out in the old city of Rhodes. If you have a car you can park it just outside the walls of the city;it's a five minutes walk from the hotel.
- Rooms are exactly as shown on their website so you know what you are getting. They have been recently renovated so all furniture is in good shape.
- cleaning lady working there very helpful.

Cons
- The shower is very small. We had one of the biggest rooms but still the shower was barely big enough for one adult and would easily flood (it has the old style plastic curtain). It's a shame because the rest of the room is brand new.
- Tactics that I thought belonged to the past: a) the gentleman at the reception (probably the owner) tried to avoid giving us a receipt for our stay b) we had prepaid half of the stay when booking online. For the other half the same gentleman insisted on us paying cash in order for him to avoid paying the credit card commission c) 4 Euros for a take away coffee on the roof garden without a receipt...

In overall we got what we saw on the website so we were happy...a bit overpriced but still OK. Only the "tactics" left us a bad impression...

Room Tip: go through the pictures and the descriptions of each room on the website
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank athensfan
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Minos Pension is a very clean and quiet hotel in the heart of Old Town Rhodes. Its location allows you to experience the local culture and is a short walk to many traditional Greek restaurants and markets within the old town walls. The service was very hospitable and made you feel like you were staying at home. The beds were extremely clean and everything was well maintained. It is evident that the hotel is slowly being renovated. We had planned to stay one night at the beginning of our trip, however poor experiences in other hotels led us to stay another night at the end because we enjoyed it so much! Maria and the rest of the family that operate this hotel are very welcoming and if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, clean, and cultural place to stay this is the one for you!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We visited this hotel while staying in another hotel in Rhodes Old Town. We enjoyed freshly squeezed orange juice while taking in the wonderful views from the roof garden cafe.

This is a newly renovated family run hotel not far from the walls of the Old Town. We were shown one of the suites which had its own kitchen / dining room / sitting room and spacious bedroom with ensuite facilities. There was also an outside sitting / dining area. The price was very reasonable. Some parts of the Old Town are not accessible by taxi, but we were told that taxis dropped people off at the small square adjoining the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Toscana85
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This review might be a little dated, but I only recently discovered Trip Advisor so I thought I would add in my contribution now.
I stayed at Minos Pension in May of 2009. There were 4 of us, so we stayed in the quadruple suite. Booking online was quite easy using their website (http://www.minospension.com/rates.htm) and we had absolutely no trouble checking in. The suite was fairly spacious compared to other European hotels that I have stayed at, although I cannot comment on how large the double or triple rooms are. The location is PERFECT, especially if you want to stay in Old Town. We were able to walk to all the major attractions without any difficulty. The only downside to staying in Old Town is the cobble streets. If you are at all unsteady on your feet I would not recommend walking around Old Town too much without some sort of assistive device. You can trip quite easily on the uneven cobblestones.
We opted to have breakfast at the hotel each morning because it was so nice to eat on the little patio under the lemon trees and enjoy the morning sunshine. Breakfast was nothing fancy and they only gave you two options (greek yoghurt with honey and walnuts, or an omelette with toast), but they made it fresh every morning and it was always quite satisfying. Our suite had a fridge in it so it was possible to buy something at a local grocery store and keep it in the room if you wanted (we ended up filling ours with Greek beer and wine to enjoy on the patio in the evening).
The rooftop terrace was unfortunately closed during our stay, since it wasn’t peak tourist season yet, but the owners let us go up there a few times to enjoy the view and take some pictures. The view was spectacular and I’m sure it would be a wonderful place to sit and relax after a day of sight-seeing.
Make sure you check out “Yanni’s” restaurant in Old Town if you are in the area around dinnertime. It was recommended to us by the owners of Minos Pension and we went back there to eat several times. DELICIOUS and authentic Greek food.

There were three downsides that I found during our stay at Minos Pension. We found it quite difficult to locate the hotel when we first arrived in Rhodes. We took a bus from the Rhodes airport which dropped us off at one of the southern gates (I can’t remember which one exactly) and it took us a very long time to navigate the streets of Old Town and find the hotel. We actually stumbled on the hotel by accident (luckily!) or else I think we would have been searching even longer. I would suggest taking a taxi instead.
The other downside of the hotel was the beds. VERY hard and I found it difficult to sleep on. If you like a firm mattress (like sleeping on a wooden board), then this shouldn’t be a problem.
Finally, the WiFi was only available in the lobby of the hotel, the signal was quite weak and there were no outlets around to plug my laptop into. I found this frustrating when trying to leave messages for family back home.

Overall myself and the rest of my company enjoyed our stay at Minos Pension and would definitely consider staying here again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family