Minos Pension & Roof Garden Lounge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Dionysos Hotel(Rhodes Town)(Great Value!)
$43
$87
$82
$350
Hotel Mediterranean(Rhodes Town)
$89
  • Beachfront
Nathalie Hotel(Rhodes Town)(Great Value!)
$40
$39
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Atlantis City Hotel(Rhodes Town)(Great Value!)
$45
$62
$59
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsold townshort walkair conditioningexcellent locationturkeyluggagerhodesfridgeharbourapollo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Minos Pension is a very clean and quiet hotel in the heart of Old Town Rhodes. Its location allows you to experience the local culture and is a short walk to many traditional Greek restaurants and markets within the old town walls. The service was very hospitable and made you feel like you were staying at home. The beds were extremely clean and everything was well maintained. It is evident that the hotel is slowly being renovated. We had planned to stay one night at the beginning of our trip, however poor experiences in other hotels led us to stay another night at the end because we enjoyed it so much! Maria and the rest of the family that operate this hotel are very welcoming and if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, clean, and cultural place to stay this is the one for you!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We visited this hotel while staying in another hotel in Rhodes Old Town. We enjoyed freshly squeezed orange juice while taking in the wonderful views from the roof garden cafe.

This is a newly renovated family run hotel not far from the walls of the Old Town. We were shown one of the suites which had its own kitchen / dining room / sitting room and spacious bedroom with ensuite facilities. There was also an outside sitting / dining area. The price was very reasonable. Some parts of the Old Town are not accessible by taxi, but we were told that taxis dropped people off at the small square adjoining the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Toscana85
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This review might be a little dated, but I only recently discovered Trip Advisor so I thought I would add in my contribution now.
I stayed at Minos Pension in May of 2009. There were 4 of us, so we stayed in the quadruple suite. Booking online was quite easy using their website (http://www.minospension.com/rates.htm) and we had absolutely no trouble checking in. The suite was fairly spacious compared to other European hotels that I have stayed at, although I cannot comment on how large the double or triple rooms are. The location is PERFECT, especially if you want to stay in Old Town. We were able to walk to all the major attractions without any difficulty. The only downside to staying in Old Town is the cobble streets. If you are at all unsteady on your feet I would not recommend walking around Old Town too much without some sort of assistive device. You can trip quite easily on the uneven cobblestones.
We opted to have breakfast at the hotel each morning because it was so nice to eat on the little patio under the lemon trees and enjoy the morning sunshine. Breakfast was nothing fancy and they only gave you two options (greek yoghurt with honey and walnuts, or an omelette with toast), but they made it fresh every morning and it was always quite satisfying. Our suite had a fridge in it so it was possible to buy something at a local grocery store and keep it in the room if you wanted (we ended up filling ours with Greek beer and wine to enjoy on the patio in the evening).
The rooftop terrace was unfortunately closed during our stay, since it wasn’t peak tourist season yet, but the owners let us go up there a few times to enjoy the view and take some pictures. The view was spectacular and I’m sure it would be a wonderful place to sit and relax after a day of sight-seeing.
Make sure you check out “Yanni’s” restaurant in Old Town if you are in the area around dinnertime. It was recommended to us by the owners of Minos Pension and we went back there to eat several times. DELICIOUS and authentic Greek food.

There were three downsides that I found during our stay at Minos Pension. We found it quite difficult to locate the hotel when we first arrived in Rhodes. We took a bus from the Rhodes airport which dropped us off at one of the southern gates (I can’t remember which one exactly) and it took us a very long time to navigate the streets of Old Town and find the hotel. We actually stumbled on the hotel by accident (luckily!) or else I think we would have been searching even longer. I would suggest taking a taxi instead.
The other downside of the hotel was the beds. VERY hard and I found it difficult to sleep on. If you like a firm mattress (like sleeping on a wooden board), then this shouldn’t be a problem.
Finally, the WiFi was only available in the lobby of the hotel, the signal was quite weak and there were no outlets around to plug my laptop into. I found this frustrating when trying to leave messages for family back home.

Overall myself and the rest of my company enjoyed our stay at Minos Pension and would definitely consider staying here again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2010

They say it’s all about – location, location, location. If so, then this place is it! Located just inside the St. John’s Gate (walk in and follow the road – left, right, left).

The hotel (pension) is small and located away from the craziness of the main square and the tourist populations. Very secure with an outer gate leading into the courtyard we found Minos Pension suited our needs.

Although location was key to drawing us in, Minos did have some drawbacks. The rooftop bar, one of their main advertising points, was closed over ½ the time. Lack of staff apparently. The rooms are “small” – about the size of an average college dorm room and with any amount of luggage there is no place to sit besides the bed.

The AC was ok, but the rooms still seemed stifling. The worst part of our stay was definitely the mattresses. If you like a firm mattress – then this place is for you. The pillows were thin and weak, and the mattresses were like sleeping on a stone slab ~~ I guess they wanted to give us the full effect of sleeping in a Medieval walled-city!

Although the staff was very friendly, and on-site, there was never anyone around at the front desk or easy to find.

Recommendations: change the mattresses, and use the kitchen downstairs to serve breakfasts in the courtyard (maybe they do and we were just there past peak season - Sept).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank COTraveller33
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We loved the roof top lounge for breakfast or an evening drink and enjoying the sunset over Old Rhodes Town.
Beds & pillows very hard, making sleep difficult.

• Stayed: September 2010