“exactly as described”

Ranked #7 of 127 Hotels in Rhodes Town
London
“exactly as described”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The only down side to this holiday was flying easy jet, never again will I fly without allocated seating. We arrived in the evening and the hotel looked amazing with lights and polished brass and marble everywhere.Our room keys were ready at reception and check in Was a smooth operation there are 2lifts to all floors and our room was lovely clean and comfortable with a balcony. We headed to the bar and although we were to late for dinner there were plenty of snacks available.We were dreading the restaurant experience having read some negative reviews on here but we were welcomed warmly (my husband always learns some local phrases before we leave home which makes a great difference between good and great service) the choice was amazing as we're all the choices for all meals.We took advantage of being able to book the Chinese and Italian restaurants which were both excellent. The hotel is ideally situated for a comfortable stroll into Rhodes town which was just close enough to wander into town after dinner in the evening,we also felt very safe wandering about. We bought tickets for the hop on/off open top bus which was worth every penny and you can get on or off right outside the hotel. We went on a jeep safari one day that we booked independently from a store to the left of the hotel and about 500 yards on the right of the next street, we met people from other hotels and had a fantastic day,our guide was amazing and laughed from start to finish. If you are going on a day trip the hotel will provide a packed lunch providing you let them know the night before.We found all the hotel staff friendly except for just one lady who worked behind the bar who was in a bad mood for the seven days that we were there. On our last day our flight was not until the evening and we were able to use all the all inclusive amenities after we checked out even the use of a room to take a shower and freshen up before leaving.All in all a very pleasant trip and we would use this hotel again.

9 Thank Auburnaura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here all inclusive last week in October 2012. The hotel was preparing to close down so was not overly busy but many guests appeared to have been given free upgrades from other hotels in the area to allow them to close.
Hotel is very nice but certainly not 5 star as promoted. Buffet meals were "all right" but a bit repetitive, excellent if you like hamburgers or grilled chicken. Was a bit disappointed by the buffet overall. There are also 2 specialty restaurants, 1 Chinese and 1 Italian which were free but you had to book, but where good as they broke the monotony of the buffet.
We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms which was spacious, had a sea view and was very nice.
3 main pools in the complex, 1 indoor which was heated and 2 outdoor which were not so quite cold when we were there. They are also both salt water so be aware of that.
My biggest gripe was "the all inclusive package" as there was a seperate all inclusive guest bar but the drinks were all local brands and limited in choice whereas the pay bar had all the usual brands available and a much bigger choice. Guests I presume were not supposed to take drinks from one to another but many did.
Not much in the way of live entertainment, 1 night of greek dancing and a guy with his electric organ most other nights alternating between the 2 bar areas.
I have stayed all inclusive a good number of times in other hotels and have never before experienced the real difference in the quality of drinks served before. Also the hotel was quite quiet but still had large queues at times at the all inclusive bar, god knows what it would be like when the hotel is full.
Excellent location for the town, 15 minute stroll into the old town area, 10 minutes to new town shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room, a bit more expensive but a lot nicer.
3 Thank IvorHoliday
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I (AT LAST A HOLIDAY ON OUR OWN WITHOUT THE CHILDREN) travelled independently and arrived at the Hotel in the early hours by taxi transfer (we got there before all the other guests who had to wait for the coaches). When we got there it was all lit up and looked amazing from the outside. We went to reception, got the room key and went up to the room. We were shocked! The room was luxury and with a beautiful sea view. After unpacking, we went to bed (2 singles pushed together, But not a problem) but were awoken with a persistant knocking on the door, then the door opening with a man saying we had a message. Not a good start!!! So I went to reception thinking it was an emergency only to be told we had to move rooms the following day as that section of the hotel was closing. Not happy as we had unpacked everything. But we could understand the reason.
Anyway onto the food. There is a very good variety of food availiable for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As we were all inclusive the waiters (Very Pleasant) brought some drinks to the table. So not as bad as we had read.
We didnt go in the pools as they were too cold.
If you have to move rooms, make sure that you dont just accept any old room. We were persistant to the point where our new room had an even better sea view on the third floor, this was after seeing 2 other rooms. We could even see the sea from laying on our bed. Lush!!!
On the whole we had a good holiday.
This hotel is a lovely hotel but it is not quite a 5 star. The staff were friendly enough, but were quicker to serve someone who is not from England.
The dining room was adequate but be prepared to sit in what looks like a wedding reception. The tables and chairs are covered in white cloths. PURE WHITE. The novelty of it soon wears off.
The all inclusive drinks bar is ok, but you do have to queue sometimes. They do make good cocktails.
Would I go here again? Yes I probably would. This was our first trip to Rhodes, and wont be our last!!!

Room Tip: The best rooms are obviously with a sea view so it is worth paying the extra. We were on the third f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TheGrumpyCamper
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were supposed to travel to this hotel last year with Thomas Cook who kindly bumped us to another hotel on the other side of the island 48 hours before we were due to travel and splitting our group in half - having investigated it turned out that our booking had not been confirmed, given the absolutely atrocious subsequent TC ' customer service' I will never travel with them again, so this year flew out with Easyjet and booked the hotel independently. Guess what - no problems this year !!
We stayed in September as a family and found the hotel to be in a good location with Old Rhodes town just a short walk away and whilst the immediate area looks a little run down there are some good bars/restaurants.
I found the all the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean as are the bedrooms which are comfortable but a little run down in places. The fridge was really handy but very 1970's.
There are three pools - the outside ones do get quite crowded but we did managed to find beds when we looked.
We were half board and the food is OK. Whilst a table was found for us quickly on each visit, the buffet area was too small for the number of people in the room. This led to quite long queues sometimes. There are also two separate restaurants an Italian and a Chinese. We went to the Italian which was good and a lot less hectic. .
There are a lot of comments around the 5 star rating of this hotel, they certainly are not charging 5 star prices and it is certainly a fair price for what you get.
All in all a pleasant stay and I would return.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are good but you need to ask for a room. 3rd floor upwards.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank lisadoeseurope
Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have played with whether or not to write this review because I am one of those people, who is naturally positive in life and I believe that a holiday is 90% down to what you make it!
Unfortunately I feel I have a duty to share my experiences at the Mitsis Grand. My aim is to write an honest review without sounding too disheartened.
I do need to say that this was our third family holiday (1st Turkey 2nd Cape verde) and before that I was a regular traveller to lots of world destinations so I knew that a 5 star rating, according to British standards was not what to expect.
We arrived at the hotel (myself, Husband and two children 10 & 9) during the last week of October which was our half term week. We were quickly ushered to the restaurant as it was 9:00pm and were very grateful of some nice food. The rooms we had (2, one which my husband shared with our son and the other for me and my daughter) were lovely spacious and had a side sea view which had been requested at booking. On first impressions everything seemed lovely.
After a restful night’s sleep we ventured down to breakfast, again a pleasant experience. When we returned to the rooms we were met with the foulest stench of sewerage and a note placed in each room to ask us to contact reception. My husband rang reception to be informed that they were aware something had gone seriously wrong with the pipe works and we would be allocated another two rooms, although we had to wait until the following day. Ok this is not the hotels fault and it was a bit of a chore having to use the bathroom whist holding your breath, and sleep with the balcony doors wide open, but we got through it and were moved after breakfast the following morning to equally lovely rooms with a brilliant frontal sea view, and a bowl of fruit, result!.
After the start to the holiday I thought 'you know what, that's the bad bit done with let’s carry on and enjoy' Oh how wrong I was......

Firstly my main issue and negativity has to be the customer service and attitude from the hotel staff. I know Brits are often renowned for being rude and arrogant and I would fully expect somebody to be cautious, I have brought my Children up to be courteous and polite as are myself and my husband. I have no problem waiting in a queue and will always smile and treat others how I would wish to be treated. Unfortunately the staff at the Mitsis Grand do not have this philosophy and it really didn't matter how polite and kind you were, everyone seemed to be tarred with the same brush and treated with a great amount of contempt. I really got the feeling that they didn't want us there and that we were just being tolerated. There were of course a couple of exceptions and these guys did make up for what others lacked, but really, who wants to feel like that on holiday? We got speaking to a bar owner just round the corner from the hotel and his explanation was that it was the end of the season and they were fed up, also he touched lightly on the state of the Greek economy. All these points are fair enough and you can understand locals being truly fed up, saying that, if it was a hotel here or any other place I have been to for that matter, you would of been sacked for having such a bad attitude to paying customers regardless of your own personal feelings.

My second issue is that my daughter and I became very sick not long after we had changed rooms (not sure what it was, or if it was down to the sewerage issue as the boys didn't get sick?) Again I'm reluctant to blame this on the hotel as these things do happen! It was the response we got from the reception staff when my husband asked for assistance which was worrying. My daughter had been projectile vomiting in the room and whilst lying in bed the only thing to give her to be sick in was the bin (It's tricky to guide a 9yr old from her bed to the loo whilst she is in such a state) My husband went down to reception to inform them that this was indeed what had happened and to ask them how he could dispose of the bin safely and also to ask for a more suitable container. The man behind reception greeted him with an angry response and said something like 'ahh she drunk!... too much alcohol!' to which of course my husband replied 'She's nine!!!' He was told to put the bin into a bin outside the front of the hotel, which he did....this bin was a standard very small bin which of course was completely unsuitable, and was the first thing you see when entering the grand reception area (the receptionist obviously couldn't care less). On his way back through reception he was handed a wad of paper towels. In my view, completely unsatisfactory. The next day we asked again for a suitable container and later that afternoon an old ice cream tub appeared outside our door.
The third thing I have to complain about is the fact that after five days of what I felt was substandard service my daughter jumped into the indoor pool which was in fact full of a previous occupant’s diarrhoea! It was only after my son told me that this was brought to my attention. I had left her swimming in it for twenty minutes because of course it never crossed my mind to inspect the water every time they got in (ok that may be down to bad parenting? make your own minds up on that one. Her excuse was it was ok if she stayed away from the lumps!) At this point I felt disgusted and of course my only wish was to come home. Again, accidents and mishaps happen, not the hotels fault. I just believe that in a hotel of ANY standard these things should be acted upon very quickly to avoid any further sickness. To allow people to carry on using the pool amazes me which leads me to believe that they didn’t know about the situation, my view is, they should have!

The last thing I need to touch on is about our experience in the Italian restaurant. This happened to be booked on the evening my daughter started feeling unwell but obviously before any physical symptoms appeared. We ordered and the children had pizza. My daughter didn’t touch hers as she had no appetite. I was concerned that come 10pm she would actually be hungry again and asked if we could take the pizza to our room. We were told in no uncertain terms by two members of staff (we did try) that this was not allowed and we watched whilst they threw perfectly good food into the bin.

If you are still reading, well done. I would hate to put somebody off going anywhere, and I have not plugged the best bits at all, but like I said I need to be honest, these are the things that mainly stick in my mind and we will not be re-visiting this hotel.

To summarise – Great spacious rooms with a view, nice food (a tad salty though), maid service daily, location is fantastic (short transfer, on the beach and close to the Old town which is great) Appalling customer service, oh, and the lift got stuck between floors twice! Do not use them if you are slightly claustrophobic!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Sandz77
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

DO NOT GO.
It is not five star - it is not all inclusive - it is filthy, run down, has no entertainment and charges you for WiFi, water and the gym. Horrible experience.
The food was disgusting and exactly the same every day. The staff are grumpy and fed up at best. The hotel grounds are dirty and unsafe. You queue for up to fifteen minutes for a drink. There are no tea/coffee making facilities in your room - there isn't even any water.
It is located by the Old Town that is run down and depressive. All in all, a total waste of my time, ,oney and effort. Oh yes, between my daughter and myself we got terrible diarrohoea, stomach cramps, vomiting, worms and a throat infection!!!"!!

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Clare R
leicester
Reviewed November 5, 2012

where to start so many faults ,outweigh the good.here is our selection,the restaurant not big enough to accomadate people when full.plenty of selection of food,but repatitious,only one toilet on ground floor plus one for one personnear swimming pool.do not go all inclusive,you have to queue for drinks,all considerably watered down.better to eat out where the price and quality is very cheap.the bedrooms are very spacious but need plenty of tlc,some have tv about twenty years old with very poor selection of programs.fridge was empty no complimentarys,no tea or coffee makeing facilities unheard of for five stars.toilet paper in bathroom only one ply only two plugs visable to use. now for the plus side hotel in very good location near to the old town as for all staff from cleaning ladys to bar and restaurant and reception all worked very hard non stop

Room Tip: ask for top floor sea view
3 Thank bladerunnerleicester