“if you are under 50 you are not welcome at this hotel- that was clear”

Hotel Mediterranean
Ranked #16 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“if you are under 50 you are not welcome at this hotel- that was clear”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in September 2012 and after just returning from this years holiday in Spain (which was brilliant) it has actually prompted me to write my review on this hotel- as it highlighted even more so how awful our stay was.

My parents paid for this holiday in Rhodes for myself and my partner as a joint birthday gift. Also, they all knew (I didn't) that my partner was going to propose so you get the idea. What was supposed to be an amazing gift, and also a memory that you only get once hopefully... getting engaged, was as good as we could make it with the fact that we were staying in a hotel where we were treated like an inconvenience.

What I assume was the manager, appeared to humor us for having the cheek to stay there. We are both 25, not 16 like he seemed to think. We like to pay for things as we go, and not run up a huge surprise bill- not because we are poor people who are not worthy of staying in his hotel- which is exactly how he made us feel- but because we like to know what we are spending- not that we need to explain ourselves or be treated like stupid children for doing so.

We did not know that the coffee in the room was not complimentary. However, we did not dispute having to pay for it or care that we had to. My partner went to reception to pay for some room service we had had, the bill was far more than what we expected. The man at reception said it was because of coffee. My partner misunderstood and thought he meant that we had ordered coffees that we hadn't, as he didn't consider the coffee maker in the room. The receptionist got his manager who looked at my partner like my partner was trying to con him, smiled smugly and said "sir, you drank the coffee, you need to pay for it." In such a derogatory manner as if he was trying to get out of paying for it. Down right rude.

Our safe in our room broke. My partner went to reception. The female receptionist said we have to wait for the maintenance man. They had no idea when the maintenance man was going to turn up but said probably in the evening. That was it. When my partner told me this I phoned reception and asked if there was anything else she could do. She said no. I said so we now cannot leave the room for a day without leaving all our valuables lying around. After a debate she eventually said we can use the locker safe behind the desk at reception free of charge- like she was doing us a favor- imagine if she didn't... we waited 3 days for the room safe to be fixed!

The general impression we got from the staff and what I assume was the management was that we were not welcome there and didn't deserve any kind of polite treatment. That the only interest they have are in people with lots of money to feed into the hotel. The manager even sniggered at our final bill because it was for something stupid like 20 euros- as we had paid for everything else as we went along.

I just applaud the fact that their business is in the hospitality industry- yet they can't even grasp basic customer service- looking down your nose at your guests is probably not the best way to get happy customers... and they deserve to be sniggered at in return for not knowing how to do their job.

Room Tip: try a room in a completely different hotel- you might be more welcome there!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had no complaints about our room on the 5th floor - comfortable with a great view of the harbour. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The greatest short-coming was in the restaurant. At breakfast it seemed that most guests chose to breakfast at the same time and the restaurant did not cope well with this surge. It became quite congested around the buffet tables and refills of our coffee cups was sometimes hard to get. The breakfast itself was good overall though we particularly noted the poor quality of the orange juice, which tasted as if it had been diluted orange juice from a carton. We paid for half-board and ate the dinner on each of 3 evenings. The salad buffet was the highlight and was very good. In hind-sight I should have had that instead of a main course. As it was, two main courses were just adequate, but the Sunday carvery served meat that was overcooked and tasteless (to North American tastes).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Byblos, Lebanon
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Some of the waiters were a little bit mean to us. Even the chef started yelling in greek when I got my plate to get my steak, turned out that it was too high! :O
Otherwise the service at the hotel was very pleasant. It is calm and a nice place to relax on a vacation.

• Stayed June 2013
Sibiu, Romania
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I really do not know why it is such highly rated even here. The only 4 star thing about this place are the cosmetics. And maybe the sea view, if you pay for it.
I am sure it was once an exquisite hotel, but decades have passed since then. The rooms - old looking appliances, the cheapest TV set I have seen in years, falling painting on the corners, worn-out bed sheets, no ventilator in the bathroom (useful when you shower and then the entire room gets humid and you cannot open the window because of the mosquitoes). Fallen paint on the door thresholds, time-yellowed appliances and even glass coasters (it looks like they printed 1.000.000.000 copies when they opened the hotel and have not changed them ever since).
Meals - very poor breakfast - oranges were the only available fruits, bad bread, no fresh juice of any kind, barely two types of cheese and maximum two different vegetables. Lunch and dinner - average at best. The soups tasted like instant soups. The waiters are not that great, either.

Pool - it might as well be entirely absent. Crammed in a tiny interior yard with barely 2 m between its margin and the outside wall, felt like an interior prison courtyard. And closed at night, which seems very smart.

Side sea view - waste of money, it means a view of some abandoned buildings across a narrow street and - if you stretch your neck- of some blue sea to your left and right. Either pay for the full sea view (wonderful, indeed) or drop the idea.

The good parts, however - its location near the Casino beach which is much less windy and more quiet than the other beaches and its proximity to the old town of Rhodes. That's it.

Room Tip: Definitely sea-side view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visited this hotel back in 2010. It is at the very north end of the island which is rather cool.
In front of a clean and easy to access beach, lovely view to look at in the morning, and its location is right next to the Casino. walking distance to the port and city, Worth staying here. The Hotel itself is not the best I have seen for a 4star but there are no problems overall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This ranks as one of my worst hotel experiences. Mostly because of our room. The breakfast was adequate, the dinner was OK but we opted to eat out our second and third nights even though we had gotten full board. There were too many good restaurants in the area to eat a dinner that was only OK. The dining room was hot and stuffy every morning and night. Our room was extremely dated and smelled bad, probably due to the carpet. The bed was miserable. I felt like I was sleeping on a park bench with a sandbag for a pillow. After the first night, we asked for softer pillows and got them but one of them was missing the third night. The room was so hot and stuffy, even if we ran the air conditioning. We left the balcony door open the first night to get a breeze but the street noise woke us up often and the beach was plowed at 6:00 AM, waking us up for good. The hair dryer was from the 1970's and got too hot to hold after just a few minutes. I gave up on fixing my hair. In summary, there's got to be better places to stay. Pick one of them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel was offered to us on a package deal. It seems to be popular (gladly we were in the last week of the low season). The restaurant is in 50's look (we only had breakfast there. Many good restaurants in town so no need for full board). Breakfast was OK but only small selection of cereals (2) and only sliced oranges in the fruit department (gladly across the road a vendor sells fresh strawberries etc.).
Our room was modern in the 1990's but looks a bit stale for today. But it was OK. Our bathroom was OK but very dark (there are some renovated ones with storage room and much more light). Unfortunately WiFi has to be paid if you want it in your room (24 hours cost EUR 18 but one can log off and so save time for later).
The centre can be reached on foot (20 minutes to the very centre) or taxi (EUR 5 to the marina gate). There are some restaurant options around the hotel but I'd recommend to eat in the city centre (Alexis 4 Seasons or Romios are very good). Around the corner there's also a car rental firm (Exotic Rentals).
All in all I think it's a good choice as in the very centre there are not too many options but for a next time I'd look for a hotel in the proximity that is more modern.

Room Tip: Rooms with sea-view are very nice. Others will look on a side-street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple