“The Best in Rhodes Town”
Review of Mama Sofia's

Mama Sofia's
Ranked #30 of 450 Restaurants in Rhodes Town
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have been here before on several visits to the Island and loved it every time as it was recommended to us by one of our local friends in Rhodes. This was the first time me and my boyfriend had been to Rhodes together and his first time in Rhodes. This was one of our favorite places we ate while our trips to the old town. The fish was all fresh and cooked to perfection, amazing salads and Greek cuisine all home made and fresh. Waiters remember you and make you so welcome. On our second visit we took another couple along with us who also loved it there. One of the Mama Sofias sons was telling us about the menu and describing the dishes when he mentioned about a dish and my boyfriend had never tried before, he was so kind at the end of the meal that he gave my boyfriend a complimentary dish to try.

Such a lovely family and a great place to relax and watch the world go by as well. Highly recommended for a decent homely greek meal.

There are newer reviews for Mama Sofia's

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The restaurant was recommended to us on our first night in Rhodes. The welcome was warm, food plentiful and staff attentive. There was a good buzzy atmosphere.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We went to Mama Sofia's based on the recommendation of our hotel (Avalon). They said this was a good place for traditional food. It is located right across from the bell tower on a busy walkway just outside the old city wall.
When we arrived, we asked to sit outside, but there was no table free, so the owner asked us to come inside and wait for 5-10 minutes with a complimentary glass of wine.. Anyway, we were seated within 5 minutes, with a waiter who asked us what we would like. We were looking for fresh fish and some appetizers. He then started recommending many dishes. My friend asked him about the sea urchin and a couple of other items and before we knew it they were on our order. He then took me back to look at the fresh fish, which looked nice. It seemed to me that one of them would feed the four of us, with some side dishes, but he insisted that we should order two fishes for four people and he would throw in some sides dishes for free. We had delicious snapper and sea bream, plus some potatoes and vegetables, but could not finish everything. The food was good for sure but we ended up spending more money than we had intended with the extra fish (many of the standard dinner items were reasonably priced). The waiter's English was not so good, which did not help, but we felt he was a bit too pushy.
Of course we were too full for dessert, but they brought out complimentary ice cream, a nice touch.
This is a nice restaurant with good food, just be firm with your order and you will enjoy a good dinner.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The food was Nice, but the table had ants running over it as it was outside. Its personal choice but the owner was a little over the top for me he was constantly telling us about his restuarant and the food, where it came from and such like and I found it a little overpowering.
Other than that the Kleftiko was very nice, but not as good as some I have had in Cyprus. I found this place a little pricey compared to other places we had eaten

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The staff are very fun in this place, the food is OK - I only had the moussaka which was pleasant enough and filling - it's in a good spot to people watch too