“Nice family-run restaurant”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Visited this place twice during our stay in Rhodes. Mama Sophia's two sons are now front of house although I believe she still works there during the day. Good Greek food and wine at reasonable prices. Friendly helpful staff.

1  Thank PhilDuff
Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Mama Sofia is just behind the landmark Clock Tower in Rhodes old town, in a string of restaurants and shops and bars in the row heading down to the Palace of the Grand Master of Knights gate. I chose it for Sunday lunch as all the patrons there seemed to be Greek, which is a good sign in a town with hundreds of restaurants and thousands of tourists. The appetiser of mushrooms with bacon in cream was as large as a main course, and delicious. My main course, kleftiko, was served in an entire casserole dish and had the most falling-apart tender, delicious lamb I've had in a long long time. I felt like I was eating for ages! I was happily people watching and settling in to contented fullness, having not had a good meal for a few days, when the waiter brought me a complimentary desert of ice-cream and cake! I protested I was full but he said 'stay as long as you like and enjoy, it's good for the digestion'. So I did, enjoyed the desert while reading a book and chatting to some other patrons, who were as friendly and delightful as the waiters. I went back a few nights later but it was, understandably, packed, so I missed out on having a table then. They invited me to wait inside for a few minutes, but I was really hungry so went elsewhere, which had a slightly cheaper menu, adequate, but not as memorable or welcoming. As a single woman I was shunted away from a table-with-best-view in that other place, whereas at Mama Sofia I felt simply welcome.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Usually we would not venture into a restaurant like this on a tourist strip - however when we got lost and couldn't find our hotel the nice young waiter actually left the restaurant and guided us through the tiny lanes to our hotel (even offering to carry our luggage for us!). So we had to come back to the restaurant the next day (unfortunately he was not there) but we were very pleasantly surprised at the excellent food and genuinely friendly service ! Would definitely go back!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I have been traveling in Greece for just over a week. Our meal at Mama Sofia'a was noteworthy for two reasons. First, this was the most welcoming restaurant to which we've been. Yiannis and Stavros were friendly, funny, borderline inappropriate, and familiar---indeed, they felt like the family they profess to be. (N.B. if you've ever wondered why Greek men call a woman "lady" rather than "her" or "she," get Yiannis talking). Nothing seemed more important to them than that we enjoy our evening. Second, the food was thoroughly Greek. We ate at MS's for over three hours; we ate 4 courses (one of which was overcharged, one of which was free); we drank two carafes (+) of wine; the seafood (especially the kalamari) was really noteworthy. While we've had versions of individual dishes that were as good (maybe better in rare cases) than what we had at Mama Sofia's, it would be hard to imagine a more satisfying meal and evening than that which we just enjoyed.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stavros really made us feel AT Home. Tried all the other restaurants on the island and none can beat Mama's cooking for quality and welcoming of staff. Forget the rest and make sure you have every meal and drinks there if you can in between your travels on the island.