“Just bliss!”

Ranked #3 of 126 Hotels in Rhodes Town
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Just bliss!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

What a wonderful place; a little haven and refuge in the heart of Rhodes old town. I loved sneaking back there at midday and cooling down in their jacuzzi. And later on, coming back, there is an excellent small bar and some great intimate seating areas.
But really, it's the fact that it's a family run establishment and they all really care, that makes the difference. Superb!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Sydney
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The hotel is located in the old town of Rhodes and has been beautifully restored by the English family that run it. We had booked the Knights Chamber and had we been aware of the geography of the hotel would personally have opted for one of the suites. The Knights Chamber is a lovely room with a big bathroom and a very comfortable king size bed. However, it is on the ground floor at the entrance to the hotel and the bedroom window opens onto the narrow cobbled street and has no security bars or insect screen so we were reluctant to leave it open at night even though the street is a dead end. Bars and a screen probably not in keeping with the sympathetic restoration but not keen on aircon if it's cool enough to have the window open - our problem not there's. Getting to the hotel is great adventure in itself! Brief is to ring from the airport when you are in the taxi or from wherever you are coming. They need at least 10 minutes notice so that they can get the luggage trolley down to the Amboise Gate to meet your taxi. Worked perfectly for us and then you get to chat with Duncan as he struggles uphill through the historic gate along the cobbled street past the palace and the restaurant strip before you disappear into what seems a labyrinth of narrow backstreets before emerging at the best house on the street and it's fabulous little garden. There you are very pleasantly greeted with a complimentary drink and shown to your room. Breakfast is out in the garden courtyard and it's your choice from the a la carte menu - all very nice and relaxed and very entertaining if you like cats! Evening drinks are accompanied by a complimentary fruit platter and the garden courtyard is a devine place to while away a few hours. Only very small niggles for us were that bottled water wasn't replaced daily and neither were bathroom products although you only gave to ask, but it would be nice not to have had to. We ate at Mama Sofias just a few minutes away which we found excellent for food
and service; at Tamam a 15 minute walk to the new town and rated No1 by Tripadvisor - superb service and great food but book as people queue for hours to get in here (no bookings after 7.30pm); and at Marco Polo where food was good but portions small. The family at the Spirit of the Knights work very hard to deliver a good product, a nice environment and good service at what is a unique place to stay. They have only been doing it for a few years and it can only go on getting better and better. A few more lights in the room and somewhere useable to put your clothes would be welcome improvements.

1 Thank yungkara
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you're looking for something just a step above the rest I would highly recommend this quaint 6 room property.
From the moment we walked through the gate my wife and I knew we had made an excellent choice.  The hotel itself is painstakingly restored in the finest detail.  Ask to see the original photos and you will appreciate what a vision the owner must have had.  We stayed 5 days in the Crusader Suite, a lavish room,with stairs leading to a loft that could accommodate even more guests if needed.  Outside our door was a common area with a library and an impressive collection of antiques.  Every inch of this place is steeped in history.

Our mornings started with breakfast in the courtyard.  Delicious coffee served in a bodum press, along with fresh fruit and pastries and best omelette I have ever tasted!

The location is perfect.  Just a short walk from a bustling maze of ancient streets, lined with shops, restaurants and curiosities.  The Spirit of the Knights was the perfect place to call home after a long day of wandering.  It was a real treat to stay in the heart of Old Town and we'll do it again if we re lucky.

To Alex, Kira and Duncan, thank you for making our vacation such a memorable experience.  Take good care of one another.  We hope to see you again one day!

All the best from Canada,
Chris and Ann

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Romantic escape. Helpful and friendly staff. Great value for money. Beautiful rooms with a real sense of history. Location was perfect just off the beaten track in the old city. Amazing experience and well recommended

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
kiama
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I like to think I get a feel for special hotels when I start my research and have found some very unique ones all around the world. I can now put the Spirit of the Knights Boutique Hotel in Rhodes Town on top of my list. Firstly I will only stay in small hotels ( only six beautiful rooms, all different and all beautiful ) and an added bonus is that hotel is owner operated. Spirit of The Knights ticks both boxes straight away, it felt like we had arrived at our own private resort. Only family working the hotel which ensures that everything is done personally to the highest standard. I was sent very specific details on how to find the hotel as it is located inside the medieval walls of the old town of Rhodes, delighted by this as I am such a history freak regarding the Crusader Knights who built the city. It is a hidden oasis found only with the assistence of the family who own the property so do take notice of the instructions to ring from the D'Amboise Gate and someone will meet you with a luggage trolley. I foolishly tried to find it on my own!!! I walked in with one of the family sitting waiting for my phone call !! Again, only in a small hotel would this happen. We were sat down in the most delightful courtyard with the sound of trickling and running water everywhere and I immediatly felt welcome, Kyle, one of the family offered us drinks of whatever we felt like so an icy beer and lovely glass of white wine arrived promptly. We were taken at our leisure to our suite and delighthfully surprised to find that we had been upgraded to the Grand Master Suite!!! Wow ! The room was amazing, the king sized bed was luxuriant and comfortable. great air conditioning, decor very carefully and tastefully chosen. and quite location at night !! . Everything was serviced to the highest standard daily of course. Many thanks to Alex , for your personalised service I knew I had made the rightn choice right from the initial email ( and I sent many!) to the ferry tickets that he purchased for me and were there for my arrival, for the fruit platters and snacks everytime we ordered a drink and the computer use. Thanks to Kyle, Keira and the lovely breakfast prepared by Felicity, the food at breakfast would keep you going all day. Beautiful yogurt, fruit, pastry, cakes, eggs etc . It's a la carte so freshly made just for you ! Thanks to Duncan for the humourous breakfasts we enjoyed with you!! I can't wait to return !!

Room Tip: Six rooms, all lovely just depends on your budget
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have stayed in hotels all over Europe and found the Spirit of the Knights to be among the very best. It is in a beautiful location in the Old City -- just 5-7 minutes walk from major sites like the Clock Tower and mosque and about 15 minutes walk to the harbor. The hotel is located on a little side street so that the rooms are quiet while being proximate to major sites. The service is 5-star quality -- truly as good as any service I've received at the Four Seasons, for example -- with the staff anticipating your needs and accommodating every request. But for all thus, my favorite thing was the property itself. The design and layout and decor are fantastic. Truly top-notch furniture, carpets, bedding, etc. And there is also a garden area where breakfast is served (not a buffet...you get to order anything and as many things from the menu as you like) and which also has comfy sun loungers and a jacuzzi tucked away in the corner. All in all, a spectacular hotel with an equally outstanding staff. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I loved the Crusaders room. Beautifully decorated, quiet, with a loft!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Michele R
Duisburg
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We found a building with lovely, sensitively reconstructed architecture in an attractive historical surrounding. We enjoyed very much the hotel garden where we spent some hours in a wonderful atmosphere. We liked also the kind family who created and is now running this nice oasis.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhodes Town
#2 of 30 in Lindos
Kokkini Porta Rossa
Kokkini Porta Rossa
#1 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Spirit of the Knights Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!