“Vegetables should be more than just decoration”
Review of Marco Polo Cafe

Marco Polo Cafe
Ranked #14 of 450 Restaurants in Rhodes Town
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We enjoyed our meal at Marco Polo but it could have been better. The restaurant is in a very nice courtyard behind the main building. The waiters were friendly and helpful. The house wine was good. My wife had the tuna, which was cooked as she likes it, almost raw inside, but her vegetables were tiny, just a bit of decoration on the plate. I had the lamb souvlaki, which was slightly undercooked, raw inside rather than pink, but not quite enough to send it back. Mine had a bit more vegetables with it, but not enough. The deserts were a bit disappointing, things which had been prepared much earlier and had spent the day in the fridge. We left feeling a bit hungry. They should be much more generous with the vegetables.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Somewhere in the heart of the old town of Rhodes someone can find this atmospheric restaurant.
There are only 10 - 12 tables in the small yard under an old water mill , lots of flowers and of course there is Effie . Who's Effie ? The owner and the soul of this gem. Speaking many languages she is always there to welcome you , explain every dish , sit and chat with you and at the end be a friend of yours. A lady with grand temperament almost loves every dish her kitchen serves. Try the octopus garpatso , the shrimps in spicy red sauce , the aubergine with tomato and cheese , the beef with rocket and of course if possible all the desserts. Leaving the restaurant and walking at the medieval alleys your senses will be full of aromas and tastes .

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Having somehow missed the Marco Polo Cafe rooftop experience during our autumn 2012 trip, we aimed to make-up for this by (after our first meal there!) choosing it for our last-night meal. (Sadly, this didn't transpire as a torrential rain-storm prevented the Cafe from opening ... damn!) Still, the meal we did enjoy there a few nights earlier - my birthday night - was truly memorable! All the courses were excellent - & we got a feeling from the start the chef(s) knew what he/she/they were doing ... in spades!! Added to this was the rooftop ambience which was really pleasant. The owner clearly plays a hands-on role at this establishment ... without being in any way overbearing. Also, evidently locals patronise ... always a good sign! Will return here for sure on any return trip to Rhodes next yr. ... to make up for the rainy disappointment this!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I dined in Marco Polo once as suggestion from my hotel for a more fancy dining option. The inner court of a medieval house provides with a very scenic dining place and the food is really tasty. I had the pistachio lamb which was delicious. I have to say that pricewise this is not a budget restaurant but some of its dishes definitely worth the price.
However I was not perfectly satisfied by the service. I saw that some people were given a complimentary limoncello at the end of their dining - I did not get this. Additionally there is very small choice in the menu and even smaller on the deserts. However I would come again although there are better choices in Rhodes.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

For a special occasion, we found this restaurant the best! Pricey yes, upscale yes, impeccable service yes, all well worth the dining experience. The food delicious, presentation awesome, and atmosphere perfect for a romantic dinner with that special someone!