“Mixed feelings”
Review of Hotel Matina

Hotel Matina
Ranked #67 of 70 Hotels in Faliraki
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went to Matina during the first half of August 2013. Almost everything was wrong with this place: sheets were dirty (shoe prints), towels had huge dark spots (the guy at the reception said they're due to bad washing...), AC is paid extra, there is no warm water in the evening and no cold water during the day, breakfast is always the same, double bed means 2 beds put together with a 10 cm painful (wooden) gap between them, rooms are extremely small (I actually hit myself 4 times while trying to move around).

The good things: dinner is modest but tasty, the pool is clean, the staff is absolutely great

BUT!

The experience with the staff is simply blown away by one old guy which works during evenings-nights. This guy is a huge problem to this hotel but because he is a friend of the manager, he thinks he can act however he wants. Most of the time he acts like a monkey, honestly, I have never seen a hotel employee act like this in my life!

Anyway, we went there for 8 days (7 nights) and after 2 days we got used to the situation but I personally do NOT recommend this place to the following groups of people:

- couples that are trying to solve marital/relationship problems;
- couples looking for a honeymoon location;
- couples with more than 1 child (there is simply no place);

It is a great cheap solution if you're there for fun, not relaxation, meaning that you're spending much more time out than in.

If you already bought a ticket... good luck!

Room Tip: They do have some 3 stars suites, with Jacuzzi and all but they are minimum 25 Euro more/day. Some p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cezar B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Matina

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel staff were good and pleasant. But the rooms was poor. They looked like Soviet Union hostel. The bathroom of common room was terrible. But outside there was a very good pool and magnificent bar. So, it was not quiet at night because of the bar. I was there with my friends. And we had troubles with overbooking. They had no room for 2 person from our company. And it was about 15 minutes to the nearest beach by foot.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alexander B
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was in there the end of July. That was very hot time on the island. Hotel is simple, as 2 stars already. If You love take a shower free hands , that is impossible and in the daytime there are not cold water... may be only 5 seconds ;) . But sercvice-employees of hotel was very good. They were very helpful to me. I was traveled alone and that was very important to me. Only what was little difficult... that hotel is away from village Faliraki and beaches. But taxis are driving...... Near the hotel was caws ;) and peacocks, real country hotel :D. Thank you Matina!

Room Tip: first floor to hillside are good, cuz sun shining only in daytime, at that time you are on the beach...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our second time at the Hotel Matina and we were slightly aprehensive as to whether it would still be as good this time round. However, I think it was actually better this year! They have new people running it who went out of their way to ensure we had a good time (they even invited us to a Greek party they were going to in Rhodes town). We spent a lot of time at the hotel in the daytime and it was a relaxed and nice place to be.
If you are expecting a 5 star hotel then this will not be for you. However, if you want a decent hotel with clean rooms (cleaned evey day) and lovely people then you will enjoy the Matina (try Nikos' cocktails - fab guy and great drinks).
I can't vouch for the food in the restaurant but we did eat lunch at the pool bar everyday which was very enjoyable (its boiling hot - all you need is a snack to keep you going).
If you are a relaxed person who wants to go to a nice clean place which isnt too noisy and has lovely people working there (make the effort to get to know them as they really are lovely) then I think you will thoroughly enjoy the Matina. If you are uptight and expecting the Ritz then this is not the place for you!
I will sum this review up by saying I am not the easiest customer and can be a bit difficult (I imagine my family are probably rolling their eyes if they are reading this), however, we loved it so much my sister and I have rebooked for September (3 months after we last went). I think that shows how we feel about the place.
Thank you again to all the lovely people at the Matina, see you in September!

Room Tip: We always go for the rooms with a land facing view. This is for two reasons: firstly you get a bit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank arliss2010
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel is quite basic but mostly clean and comfy. The staff are absolutely wonderful, nothing too much trouble and so very pleasant and welcoming.

The major down side was the food, same breakfast every day, and the evening meals were very poor indeed. My daughter, her boyfriend and my mother all found the food very poor and had stomach upsets.

Such a shame because the welcome here is so very warm indeed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

After we had such a great holiday at the Matina last year , we said we'd definately go back again this year . We've never gone back to the same hotel on a holiday abroad before and you always wonder will it be as good second time around ? ( especially with new people running it ) . Any worries we had were soon over once we checked-in , all the staff Debbie , Seva , Georgina, and all the cleaning girls and bar-staff we so friendly and helpful , Nicos behind the bar , who has made the largest drinks menu i've seen (every possible cocktail) was an amazing host and we were made to feel at home very quickly . The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed for self catering , they have air-con if you need it and as with last year we were on the land-view side which is nice and quiet at night , and the maids came in everyday . For what you pay , we booked with Travel Republic , for a three week stay which was only about £450 its very hard to find fault with The Matina , it is not a four-star Sheraton hotel , but for a lower budget one its the best we've been to .
The hotel has its own shop where you can get most things , the food we had at the pool bar was still really good and not exspensive , and if your self -catering you can buy the half-board breakfast for only 5 euro i think and have the 3 course evening meal for only 10 euro each. The drinks are amazing value and the cocktails Nicos makes are the best (white russian and brandy alexanders were our choice ha ha ) and 2 for 1 between 9pm and 11pm. My two step-daughters are going back in September and we will be going again next year . A couple of things worth doing - walk -up to Saint Amon taverna and see the peacocks you can hear them from the hotel , our favourite restuarants would be Mario's and Kabos/cavos taverna near the harbour and Demetrius down on the beach near bar-street , and Pete's taverna up on the main road across from the "asda" . There is a salsa bar called "Mangos" on club street which is great fun to go to .
Can't wait to go back - "Mr Matt " x

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kermit-TA
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at Matina Hotel in June 2013. Because we bought a last minute trip the price for 7 nights accommodation - breakfast and dinner included was very reasonable. This is why we decided to upgrade our room to a superior room, as we saw from the pictures that the superior rooms is recently renovated unlike the standard rooms. They asked us a charge of 20 eur/night for this switch, and because the deluxe room they had was free during our stay, they were nice enough to let us stay in it at the same price. The deluxe room is very nice, recently renovated and in it's price you have air conditioning and a safe box included. You have to pay an extra 6 eur/day for the air conditioning in the standard rooms. All in all we were very happy that we decided to swich the rooms, as the other people that stayed in the standard rooms often complained that it was very very hot and that they couldn’t sleep because of the mosquitoes.
The staff is very friendly as well. Very helpful, polite, always smiling. The room was clean daily and the towels were also changed on a daily basis.
On the downside, the food is awful, especially the breakfast. If you have the option not to include meals, take advantage of it. This was the overall opinion of all the people we talked to during our stay. The food is very very cheap....and the breakfast is the same daily. After some days you really get tired of eating the same cheap cheese and ham. The coffee was good though. At dinner you have a small buffet for appetizers, that do not look appealing at all. All I eat was some pasta...and it was decent. The second course changes daily and in some evenings it was not good but others was decent or even tasty. You also have desert...and it is always two scoops of ice cream. But don't get fooled....it is a very cheap ice cream and you can feel little ice particles in it and you will surely get tired of it after the first two nights.
The location is also very bad. It is relatively far from the city center - around 20 min walk...on a road through the wilderness.
The pool is nice, big and clean. Nevertheless, there are huge locusts that threaten to jump on you if you stay near the pool, at the snack bar or even on the terrace of your room.
All in all, i can say that my stay was ok due to our deluxe room. Nevertheless, I would not recommend this hotel to my friends, and mostly because of the bad bad food and location.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers have a pool and sea view (if you stay at the second floor). The rooms with u...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple