“another great stay at sun palace :)”
Review of Sun Palace Hotel

Sun Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Faliraki
Colchester, United Kingdom
“another great stay at sun palace :)”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

A fun filled holiday at sun palace again..... i've been here once before with my girlfriend and had a great time, this time i brought my mum, dad neice AND nephew!!! Although taking kids was worrying me a bit i knew what the place had to offer for families and found the kids easy to entertain with the waterpark (which i couldn't drag michael out of) and the tireless animation which kept them busy when my parents wanted to chill! Little jenny became a regular in the mini club during our stay and the girls in there made her very welcome but i would say it needs a bit of a revamp as that particular area seems a little neglected and run down. Where we had been here before i knew from previous experience that there was always fun to be had around the activity pool with the animation, which i was very pleased to see some familiar faces and hairstyles(Aurel) haha. I love the island of rhodes and faliraki as an area as there's plenty of things to do and it's within close proximity of other nice areas of the island. For an all inclusive the range of food is pretty good but as in most all inclusives there's always room for improvement. There was always something interesting going on in the evenings, we were there 10 days and there was always something different for us to watch or get involved in and Jenny loved the mini disco and EVEN michael got involved after a few days. The only thing that wasn't so enjoyable was my mum drunkenly singing 'my heart will go on' on the karaoke!! Also if you do like a night out (which me and the missus do) there are all the clubs and bars just down the road on the faliraki strip..... But all in all i would definitely recommend a stay at sun palace hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank chris h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel Sun palace was faultless, the water park excellent and not too busy.
The food was nice with plenty ofd choice, the food around the water park was ok to, especially the pizzas that were made in front of you.
I would not go back though as Faliraki town is full of derelict old restaurants.
The All inclusive in the hotels is takign its toll on this resort as the restaurants are quiet and they are tryign to get you in to eat.
Rhodes town is nicer and there was a bus directly outside hotel.

Room Tip: There is a new part and an old part of the hotel-make sure you are in the new part-rooms over 400
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Andy9900
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from 28 sept to 12 October, our room was spacious and overlooked the waterpark,had no problems except sometimes struggled with the lock.
Brett and Lemar were fab, Hubby went out with them a few times,they made us really welcome and deserve a medal for the children they have to deal with on a daily basis!,,
Food ok but could be much better, waterpark food was the nicest but you had to sit and keep an eye out for the fresh food being put out to ensure it was warm enough.
The town of falaraki was like a ghost town,run down and not so great!,
The water sports on the beach was brill!
King Arthur pub really nice pint and sky sports all day.

Not sure I would return as we like a change ,but overall a great holiday and a 40th Birthday I will never forget,met some great people and will keep in touch!!
Sam and Dean Johnson,Maximus and Georgia

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Sam J
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

lovely hotel good position for bars etc food excellent good choice you get a free meal at their a la carte restaurant which is excellent rooms are clean entertainment is good live shows are good the entertainment team are good with the kids

go to Mikes down the road they make you feel welcome it was my partners birthday they laid on a cake for him there

Room Tip: ask for one in the main building and pool view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alan d
Sudbury
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was a great hotel, We stayed here in July 2013. The staff were great, food was ok (it was better I the water park). It's far enough away from the "strip" so you can't here it at night you have to go looking for the night life if you want it. Make sure you book to include the water park as this is what made to holiday for me. There are lifeguards on duty ALL THE TIME and they really do take thing seriously which is good if you have kids. all in all a fantastic holiday. OH and I'd recommend Pete's water sports if that's what floats your boat :)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank n1ck_m1
Halifax
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I'm writing from the perspective of someone who went with friends, some of which had children. Also we went at the end of the season which may have had it's benefits and it's drawbacks.

Firstly the location is amazing, ignoring any obvious clues to the recession and previous decline of the tourism industry in Faliraki such as derelict buildings and empty shops. It's easy to forget all that as soon as you have a walk into town or generally do anything on the beach. I've never swam in cleaner waters and the Banana Safari is not to be missed, you get whisked around looking at awesome landscapes and beaches and swimming in caves. The water is always warmer than it is in the pool back at the hotel. The easily accessible public transport gets you to Rhodes town for €2.80, or Lindos for a bit more. A few hundred yards down the road is King Arthur's Bar which is an experience in itself. It's like what would happen if BSkyB bought Camelot. It's run by George, a jolly, moustachioed Cyprian who welcomes you in with a hand shake over a glass floor (under which King Arthur himself is allegedly buried) and then leads you on a tour of various plasma TVs showing apparently every sports game happening in the world, all at the same time. Even if you don't like sport, the cocktails are really nice!

I digress, so back to the hotel!

The one thing I will immediately state is the staff are awesome. Cleaners, bar staff, cooks, waitresses, lifeguards, entertainment team, tour reps, receptionists, security and the guy who fixes things (we spotted him resetting the trip switch on the fountain and gave him a cheer). They all work hard, some of them are even there 7 days a week and several hours a day to make everyone's holiday as enjoyable as possible. Whether they succeed or not is missing the point, they're decent human beings, they're working very hard and you rarely see that much dedication in hotels in the UK.

So for that reason I'm not going to do much nitpicking. Sometimes I didn't like the food on offer, my response to that was to try something else the following day. I found myself usually assembling meals that resembled roast dinners. The pork was always nice, as was the roasted lamp... yes, lamp... well I hadn't the heart to point out the typo and apparently neither had anyone else. The general décor of the public areas of the hotel and the pool areas was very good and always clean. Bedrooms were equally clean and comparable in décor and wear and tear to bedrooms in most other hotels I've stayed in, which wasn't perfect but it didn't bother me as I didn't really want to spend a great deal of time in my room. There were a few health and safety concerns which alarmed me. I befriended an elderly lady who injured her toe badly on a damaged edge of a raised floor, I almost did the same thing at the same time. I spoke to the tour rep, who told me she would be taking my concerns to the manager. The floor was promptly patched. I suggested the whole edge of the floor should be painted yellow too as it blended in with its surroundings and remained a trip hazard, the tour rep agreed at the mercy of hotel management, however I never found out whether this would happen.

I was very impressed with the entertainment team; Animation Greece. The Greece bit puzzled me, I only met 4 of the team during my stay and none of them were from Greece. Lemarr and Brett were an ever present, almost double act who led the daytime events and issued mean forfeits for losing competitions (they made me impersonate a cockerel!!) various people hilariously got their own back by throwing them in the pool (wish I'd thought of that) which they would take very sportingly (I dare say neither of them ever carry a mobile phone for that reason). Meanwhile Dori would expertly entertain the kids. My friend's children adored her and spent most of the holiday with their arms rapped around either leg, Dori didn't seem to mind. In the evenings they would be joined by their boss Aurel; the multilingual, fire-breathing, Musica DJ himself. Night after night the same routine would occur, the children would congregate on stage and after some team building games they participated in a series of novelty pop dances led by Brett and Dori. On the first night my friends and I got a bit drunk and I suppose this might be the only time that "I Am The Music Man" and "The Casper Slide" is of any interest to adults, nevertheless we still sat through it even when we were sober and it occurred to me not only how much pleasure the kids were getting out of it, or how expertly it was all carried out, but how it was uniting children from many countries to do nothing else but have fun. It sounds cheesy I know, but surely that must be a good thing? I thought so anyway. After the bingo an act usually followed, the most impressive of which involved Aurel himself performing a number of professional sideshow arts. This literally stunned everyone who saw it, including me.

The bar staff were amazing, constantly making and serving cocktails non-stop for about 7 hours. The lady who served them even remembered what drink I liked! Another memorable member of staff (although his name escapes me) manned the outside bar and pretended he hated everyone, punctuating his incoherent rants about people moving the chairs and leaving dirty cups on the table with the occasional cheeky grin that demonstrated he was actually having just as much fun as we were.

Bolted on to the hotel is Splash World with so much to do, including laze around. The slides are well thought out and still enjoyable after several attempts. I wished for warmer pool water. I'm assuming it's heated only by the sun and therefore warmer during the summer months. The lifeguards are friendly and attentive. You hear a lot of whistling around the pools and it's not the crickets, no, it's a lifeguard stopping some type of tomfoolery. I cut my finger (my fault). It was a minor injury but they insisted I had it looked at and treated with yellow stuff before jokingly telling me I might lose my hand.

Lastly the tour reps themselves were always very approachable and friendly.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and the things you can do while staying there (including the beach and the various excursions) to anyone and I genuinely felt sad to leave it behind. I would even go as far as to say I felt I left a little piece of my heart there. One day I may return to see if I can find it.

Room Tip: Had a room on the top floor over reception. Rooms on the opposing side on the same level overlook th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank PeterMarkBowers
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel was quite nice. It was certainly geared towards children and families. I went with another adult, so it was not really a place I would go to again. There was not much peace and quiet even by the "quiet" pool. It was situated next to the water park, and although there were polite notices up asking for no shouting and quiet and no children, there were always those who disregarded it and allowed their kids to jump in shouting! The room was nice on ground level. The maids kept it clean and tidy and the beds were comfy.The food was lovely with plenty of choice. The location was not ideal. The general outside area in the street was very run down. It is on the very end of the long strip of shops and bars in Faliraki. Even though all inclusive, I like to go out, but apart from some shopping around there, you really need to go to Rhodes town, which is much better. The beach was very dingy and not very nice sand. I would stay in Rhodes town if I went to Greece again. If you just want to entertain kids on a budget with all inclusive and a waterpark then you will love this hotel and I would recommend it, but not for just adults.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends