“Fantastic”

Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Faliraki
Sudbury
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was a great hotel, We stayed here in July 2013. The staff were great, food was ok (it was better I the water park). It's far enough away from the "strip" so you can't here it at night you have to go looking for the night life if you want it. Make sure you book to include the water park as this is what made to holiday for me. There are lifeguards on duty ALL THE TIME and they really do take thing seriously which is good if you have kids. all in all a fantastic holiday. OH and I'd recommend Pete's water sports if that's what floats your boat :)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank n1ck_m1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Halifax
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I'm writing from the perspective of someone who went with friends, some of which had children. Also we went at the end of the season which may have had it's benefits and it's drawbacks.

Firstly the location is amazing, ignoring any obvious clues to the recession and previous decline of the tourism industry in Faliraki such as derelict buildings and empty shops. It's easy to forget all that as soon as you have a walk into town or generally do anything on the beach. I've never swam in cleaner waters and the Banana Safari is not to be missed, you get whisked around looking at awesome landscapes and beaches and swimming in caves. The water is always warmer than it is in the pool back at the hotel. The easily accessible public transport gets you to Rhodes town for €2.80, or Lindos for a bit more. A few hundred yards down the road is King Arthur's Bar which is an experience in itself. It's like what would happen if BSkyB bought Camelot. It's run by George, a jolly, moustachioed Cyprian who welcomes you in with a hand shake over a glass floor (under which King Arthur himself is allegedly buried) and then leads you on a tour of various plasma TVs showing apparently every sports game happening in the world, all at the same time. Even if you don't like sport, the cocktails are really nice!

I digress, so back to the hotel!

The one thing I will immediately state is the staff are awesome. Cleaners, bar staff, cooks, waitresses, lifeguards, entertainment team, tour reps, receptionists, security and the guy who fixes things (we spotted him resetting the trip switch on the fountain and gave him a cheer). They all work hard, some of them are even there 7 days a week and several hours a day to make everyone's holiday as enjoyable as possible. Whether they succeed or not is missing the point, they're decent human beings, they're working very hard and you rarely see that much dedication in hotels in the UK.

So for that reason I'm not going to do much nitpicking. Sometimes I didn't like the food on offer, my response to that was to try something else the following day. I found myself usually assembling meals that resembled roast dinners. The pork was always nice, as was the roasted lamp... yes, lamp... well I hadn't the heart to point out the typo and apparently neither had anyone else. The general décor of the public areas of the hotel and the pool areas was very good and always clean. Bedrooms were equally clean and comparable in décor and wear and tear to bedrooms in most other hotels I've stayed in, which wasn't perfect but it didn't bother me as I didn't really want to spend a great deal of time in my room. There were a few health and safety concerns which alarmed me. I befriended an elderly lady who injured her toe badly on a damaged edge of a raised floor, I almost did the same thing at the same time. I spoke to the tour rep, who told me she would be taking my concerns to the manager. The floor was promptly patched. I suggested the whole edge of the floor should be painted yellow too as it blended in with its surroundings and remained a trip hazard, the tour rep agreed at the mercy of hotel management, however I never found out whether this would happen.

I was very impressed with the entertainment team; Animation Greece. The Greece bit puzzled me, I only met 4 of the team during my stay and none of them were from Greece. Lemarr and Brett were an ever present, almost double act who led the daytime events and issued mean forfeits for losing competitions (they made me impersonate a cockerel!!) various people hilariously got their own back by throwing them in the pool (wish I'd thought of that) which they would take very sportingly (I dare say neither of them ever carry a mobile phone for that reason). Meanwhile Dori would expertly entertain the kids. My friend's children adored her and spent most of the holiday with their arms rapped around either leg, Dori didn't seem to mind. In the evenings they would be joined by their boss Aurel; the multilingual, fire-breathing, Musica DJ himself. Night after night the same routine would occur, the children would congregate on stage and after some team building games they participated in a series of novelty pop dances led by Brett and Dori. On the first night my friends and I got a bit drunk and I suppose this might be the only time that "I Am The Music Man" and "The Casper Slide" is of any interest to adults, nevertheless we still sat through it even when we were sober and it occurred to me not only how much pleasure the kids were getting out of it, or how expertly it was all carried out, but how it was uniting children from many countries to do nothing else but have fun. It sounds cheesy I know, but surely that must be a good thing? I thought so anyway. After the bingo an act usually followed, the most impressive of which involved Aurel himself performing a number of professional sideshow arts. This literally stunned everyone who saw it, including me.

The bar staff were amazing, constantly making and serving cocktails non-stop for about 7 hours. The lady who served them even remembered what drink I liked! Another memorable member of staff (although his name escapes me) manned the outside bar and pretended he hated everyone, punctuating his incoherent rants about people moving the chairs and leaving dirty cups on the table with the occasional cheeky grin that demonstrated he was actually having just as much fun as we were.

Bolted on to the hotel is Splash World with so much to do, including laze around. The slides are well thought out and still enjoyable after several attempts. I wished for warmer pool water. I'm assuming it's heated only by the sun and therefore warmer during the summer months. The lifeguards are friendly and attentive. You hear a lot of whistling around the pools and it's not the crickets, no, it's a lifeguard stopping some type of tomfoolery. I cut my finger (my fault). It was a minor injury but they insisted I had it looked at and treated with yellow stuff before jokingly telling me I might lose my hand.

Lastly the tour reps themselves were always very approachable and friendly.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and the things you can do while staying there (including the beach and the various excursions) to anyone and I genuinely felt sad to leave it behind. I would even go as far as to say I felt I left a little piece of my heart there. One day I may return to see if I can find it.

Room Tip: Had a room on the top floor over reception. Rooms on the opposing side on the same level overlook th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank PeterMarkBowers
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel was quite nice. It was certainly geared towards children and families. I went with another adult, so it was not really a place I would go to again. There was not much peace and quiet even by the "quiet" pool. It was situated next to the water park, and although there were polite notices up asking for no shouting and quiet and no children, there were always those who disregarded it and allowed their kids to jump in shouting! The room was nice on ground level. The maids kept it clean and tidy and the beds were comfy.The food was lovely with plenty of choice. The location was not ideal. The general outside area in the street was very run down. It is on the very end of the long strip of shops and bars in Faliraki. Even though all inclusive, I like to go out, but apart from some shopping around there, you really need to go to Rhodes town, which is much better. The beach was very dingy and not very nice sand. I would stay in Rhodes town if I went to Greece again. If you just want to entertain kids on a budget with all inclusive and a waterpark then you will love this hotel and I would recommend it, but not for just adults.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank judylou09
s.yorkshire
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just returned from 10nights at the Sun Palace and had a fantastic time. Did not book this hotel initially was wary when 2days before we were due to fly told our hotel had shut early for the season. However we was not disappointed by a long way. Went with my grand children aged 3,5, and 11. All staff really friendly. Entertainment team Lammar, and Brett, was absolutely brilliant with the kids, and grown ups too lol. Full activity programme during the day around the pool -water polo, water volley ball, darts, etc. Did not become pushy if you did not want to join your loss cause great fun. Or if you wanted spend the day at the waterpark. Free clean towels on entry, splash pool for the little ones, larger slides for older ones, snack bar good variety of food and drinks. Life guards very friendly and efficient if any incidents happened they were there immediately. Evening entertainment was a mixture of professional tribute artist-Abba, Beatles, Drifters etc. Also animation team entertained and boy o boy what a show very rehearsed and professionally done especially by Aureal-very skilled guy. Best animation team we have ever seen. Food & drinks available from 7am-midnight plenty to choose from eggs at breakfast was a little undercooked for my liking but asked to cook more and hey presto perfect, also its much better if you make your own toasty rather than the ones already made up. Water is not boiling but understandable knowing children are using drinks machine and walking around. Service at bar areas very efficient, drinks served in plastic cups at pool areas, glass in the dining and indoor bar areas. Rooms are pretty basic but clean after all you only need your bed after a full-filled day. We went 5*plus in May and did not receive half of what we got at the Sun Palace. Keep up the good work, hopefully will be returning soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cocknhen
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed at sun palace hotel 15th June for 2 weeks with wife and daughter arrived late and had a friendly greeting by the staff we were taken to our room by the night security we were allocated a ground level room which had no balcony and not very private the next morning my wife went outside and thought it was raining it was the sprinklers which were spraying on to the terrace I went to reception to see if we could move rooms the staff were brilliant and gave me a key to go and look at another room which was perfect with balcony and pool view the holiday could start, the hotel is very clean staff were very friendly and helpful in all parts of the hotel from reception to bar staff cleaners the food was not very good I ate fries and fish fingers all holiday food better in waterpark which was fun lifeguards really good, if you want a nice meal go to the Orion restaurant go out of hotel turn right 300 yards on right entertainment in hotel at night very poor animation team did their best but they need to get better outside acts in the day entertainment was great with smiling Lamar Brett and Balou overall a good holiday

Dangerous Dave from yorkshire

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank david m
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were at the Sun Palace for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time. We spent most days in the waterpark which we loved, although some more rings for the lazy river and slides would have been good. The life guards were very friendly and on the ball if anything happened to anyone on the slides, which was reassuring. The food served in the snack bar was very good and the pizza was the best! We visited the bar near the adult pool every day and the barman, Dimitri, was really hardworking, friendly and gave a first class service, whatever drink you wanted he would make.

The restaurant was good but could be improved. Some of the meat could be quite fatty at times and more of a potato variety would have been nice as chips seemed to be quite popular with them. Some of the sauces were a little bland but you could always find something to eat. In all honesty we were not too keen on the breakfast as the eggs were a little undercooked and the sausages and bacon were not the greatest but again you could always find something as there was a large variety of pastries, fruit etc. We found that the snack bar in the waterpark was much fresher and better for breakfast and daytime meals.

In the evening the entertainment team were brilliant. Gemma was really good with the kids and Lamarr, Brett and Aurel had us laughing every night and were really friendly. The shows were good and we were entertained every night, it was even more fun when they roped the audience into things, which they done to us on a couple of occasions!

Andreas and the waitress (we think her name is Vespinar??) at the cocktail bar provided an exceptional service, they worked very hard and again, whatever drink you wanted, Andreas would give it a go! There was a huge choice of cocktails and other drinks all throughout the day and hot drinks also.

Our room was very nice and clean and we had a balcony overlooking the waterpark which was perfect. The cleaners were very friendly and visited regulary.

We would definitely go back to the sun palace and all in all had a great time.

Lisa and Graham

Room Tip: We believe the new block overlooking the waterpark is the best location to be in, it is quiet has a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa N
portsmouth
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hi I am typing this review because after going here myself and reading these reviews I expected more just remember by looking at these that lots of people do go here and we are all different but I find it hard to believe that a lot complain and do not write reviews and it seems most only review if they want to go back and are part of the in crowd with the entertainments team!

Ok first of all the staff the cleaners were excellent and very polite and friendly, if you are to them also the cocktail bar staff made our holiday always polite and had a smile these two deserve praise due to how hard they work they are a credit to the hotel.

I will say the water park was good and apart from maybe lack of rings for the lazy pool and a very slippery entrance into the wave pool oh and lack of any big waves as you will find out lol everyone rushes to the siren which goes at 11am 1pm and 4pm the waves last for 30mins you stand there waiting for big waves mmmm these do not appear leaving bigger kids a bit bored. The food in the water park is mainly cold or if your lucky warm how people can say this is acceptable it isn't I can excuse it once or twice but every day I would struggle here to eat the cold food and I'm not the only one who moans, the pizza made fresh to be honest I'm not a pizza lover so all I can say its made and a lot of the times its left and is cold. The drinks well the diet coke is awful tastes like cheap panda pop its bad.

Now to the main problem I am English and most of us like a hot cup of tea especially with breakfast well forget it!! the machines are mainly luke warm water and this made it hard to have a basic cup of tea. Fried eggs well I put one on to my plate and it was so undercooked I didn't touch it and if you look around the yolks there not cooked and slimy. There are a lot of choice for breakfast including toasted sandwiches to put in a toaster but even these are a joke no butter just 2 slices of dried bread with a slice of cheese and ham or should I say something that resembles ham. Well that's my opinion of breakfast now the evening meal well this is what I thought and I am no snob I am just a normal person, I used the restaurant at all different times I had to go find my own cutlery as they didn't even bother laying the tables if it was late, the food every night was different well yes, thank god for the kids section as every day there were chips BUT they were cold unless you were lucky and I hate cold food the chicken nuggets I wouldn't feed to my dog they were awful that's for the kids yeah well they need to improve that now our food well the lamb was nice if you found a piece without all the fat, the vegetables were undercooked so bad in fact I couldn't even cut through a carrot I asked the head of the restaurant to and he couldn't he took this into the kitchen so I thought from now on we will get cooked veg and guess what we didn't I heard people describe these as bullets. One night we had bbq I thought this would be the best night how wrong am I they had skewers of pork but on them was lumps of fat so they were yukkkkk also ribs which were suffering from a lack of meat and burgers well I wont say so I went hungry as I was getting bored of cold chips. Well another night was curry with two types on offer my partner tried the Chicken Korma and Veal madras and there was no difference in taste and in fact normally the madras would be to hot but not in this case so the sauces need looking at in fact all the sauce on all the meals were very bland and tasteless maybe this is why reviews state food was ok you could find some thing well not in my case apart from cold chips. The chicken was always over cooked meaning chewy dry. OK now desserts yes some are nice others are e numbers on legs but kids would like these although some parents will not.

Oh now the A la Carte dinning experience mmmm well let me tell you I might be typing this review but I spoke to lots of guests who told me what they thought and we matched so first of all you go expecting a nicely lit dinning room well lots of spot lights which are bright and the tables are set out like your in the school canteen no privacy your then told you can purchase better wine at 20euro a bottle or more or have the all inclusive drinks then your given a menu were you can choose a starter and a main wow I saw a jacket potato with bacon and cheese and jumped to order that thinking of how nice it would be followed by bbq chicken with rice and veg well when the potato arrived mmmm a horrible sauce was on the top and the potato was not hot either so no signs of bacon just sauce so I left that then I had the mains to say the chicken was tough was an understatement and the sauce bbq I think not it was like a weak sweet and sour so I wasn't happy just left hungry. My partner tried swordfish on a skewer and to be honest he enjoyed that.

Now if your hungry at night they do snacks don't get excited because it comes in the form of a roll normally cheese and tomato well you might think what's wrong with this well imagine a roll firstly without any butter etc and inside the size of a 2p piece size of cheese and a smaller bit of tomato well that's it a dry uneatable roll and I will tell you I never met anyone who didn't throw these away waste of time let them eat dry rolls with no filling what a joke.

Now the friendly entertainment team well not so friendly if you ask me as the only time they spoke was "do you want bingo tickets" !!! how friendly lemar and brett is I think not but this could be due to the fact we sat at the water park and didn't join in the games etc so should we be ignored no I payed my money to have fun and be spoke to. Again I spoke to others who said exactly the same, and were left a bit disappointed. The entertainmet well lets start Bingo how wonderful lets pay 3 for one card and 5 for two so of we go for a line and if your lucky to win what do you get well lucky you, remember we were there for 14 days and 12 of them days the prize was one line a really small t shirt for a toddler, a cd of kids songs, a bottle of cheap wine and a voucher either a 5 euro fish spa or a water voucher but believe me it was probably for 5 euro of but lets remember I don't have kids or grand children and some others who won didn't so what's the point of these sill t shirts and children's cd if you have no children well they just hold the small t shirt over one of your boobs and laugh well cant wait to play again for them prizes. and to add insult if you win on one line the ticket is take and thrown away so if you were waiting for one more number for the cash prize forget it as you don't get the chance oh and then the two lines were money but you never know how much unless you ask and lemar will say its between 80 - 140 euro now come on why does this not get announced and why do you take a bingo ticket when the game isn't finished excuse me I'm not a bingo player but this is so wrong!!!

Now the entertainment in the 14 days we were there only 3 outside acts well still not good but at least if you like abba you can sing to there songs but there not good but ok the others 2 boy groups one better than the other the other good show was the fire show ok if you haven't seen it before and apart from that its S--- an example a music quiz were we listen to a bit of music guess the movie etc run up plonk our bums on a seat give the right answer and drink a vodka or ouzo but if you don't say Yamas you drink another and another oh what entertainment but if you get the wrong answer you have to remove an item of clothing and while I was there a young lady was down to her g strings and bra well some people might find that good well others don't.

Well the entertainments team make a lot of friends who seem to type most of the reviews but I have been to a lot of hotels and I don't review most but I think this hotel needs to look at its food and entertainment as this lets the hotel down in a big way and if everyone that I spoke to typed a review they would be in big problems but as the entertainment team make a lot of friends and others who seem to ignore how bad the food is do not type reviews for different reasons just remember I am not saying I didn't like the hotel I am being more honest than the reviews on here about the food and others now may type unless when the season restarts the food is better so as I said its our opinion thanks for reading and hello to our friends if your reading this lisa and drew xxxx

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends