“best holiday for 3 years”
Review of Sun Palace Hotel

Sun Palace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in Faliraki
Reviewed May 30, 2013

our holiday group of 7 age range 19-67,arrived at this resort on 15th may 2013.first impressions on arrival was the hotel was exceptionally clean with welcoming staff.our rooms were spacious and we had a massive balcony.rooms cleaned every day to a high standard.wasnt the ritz but good enough for the standard we keep in our own home.travelled with first choice-thompson so had exclusive passes to the water park at this hotel.amazing place and the food bar at the waterpark is fantastic esp if you take children,pizza chips hot dogs burgers etc.the food in the main restaurant was good on our first week..however as the hotel was full on our second week we found it unbearable,went downhill big style!!!although we had no children,the hotel was packed with children of all ages,they seem to thoroughly enjoy themselves joining in with the entertainment.fantastic weather for the whole two weeks and reaching mid 30s temperature.excellent base for all age groups with lots to do or just to relax by the pool.AND if you are really fussy with your food then just pop to macdonalds lol , down the road!!!! The entertainment staff...SEAN , BRET , and CAMILLA were outstanding with all of us ,always having the time to come and have a chat on a daily basis . Apart from the ABBA show the evenings were great ...OH the greek dancers arent that good though either ,but on the whole excellant ...Cristos , the day time barman at the pool bar was great ,kept our glasses full even if i hadnt asked for it ,he just noticed i was empty and topped me up with good measures as well , shame he didnt do the evening shift . the only disapointment at the bar was the fact ,due to short staff the cues get rather long and you do spend a lot of time waiting for the next drink , and you can only get 2 at a time .Glen the thompson Rep was first class its a shame hes leaving in 3 weeks...The shop within the hotel dont rip you off ,infact it was cheaper than most of the shops in the town.Over all i would definately recomend this hotel to everyone that likes to have a good time........

Room Tip: The rooms near to the water park looked the best and the quietest at night , they are quite new , bu...
4  Thank trevySomerset
Write a ReviewReviews (1,710)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have just returned from the Sun Palace (22-29 May 2013) and our first all inclusive. We have had a brilliant time but a few things could be improved on and I would have given it a 5 star rating.

There was me, my hubby and 10 year old son. We loved the Waterpark that is part of the hotel - which is why I booked it in the first place. I understand only First Choice customers can use it as they built it!. When you enter the gate a lady asks your room number and checks you are on a list she's got. You then collect complimentary towels. There are plenty of sun loungers and parasols. It opens at 10am and shuts at 6pm. The slides are awesome. Even I went on them including the Boomerang - pure adreneline rush!!! You cannot fail to like this part of the hotel. Lots of lifeguards on duty and the staff all work very hard all day keeping the place clean. Cannot fault it at all.

The snack bar in the Waterpark is also very good. It serves hot food, cold drinks, beer and ice cream all day!!! And there is also a guy who makes fresh pizza too!!!

The room - I had asked for a room in the new block (as someone who I know had been and said how nice they were). We were allocated Room 437 in the 'Family Block'. We had a view of the waterpark from our front door. It was very spacious and our son had his own room with 2 single beds in it! We had air-con and a fridge! Plenty of wardrobe space with coathangers. Balcony was nice and sunny in the afternoons (not that we used it much). Only problem was I couldnt find anywhere to tie up my clothes line so had a bit of trouble drying clothes out!!. Table and 4 chairs supplied too.

Bathroom - in need of tlc. Towel rail was hanging off the wall. No shower holder! It had fell off and instead of replacing it they had filled the holes in and left the shower hose wrapped round the taps. So no choice but to have baths!! We had baths every night between 5.30pm and 7pm! We didnt manage to get any hot water once during our stay!! They have got solar powered water heaters/tanks on the roof but obviously not big enough to do the whold block!! Get ready for cold baths!! Our friends stayed in the main hotel and they said they didnt have a problem with the water but their room was alot smaller than ours!!

The hotel- Its quite a large complex with seperate sleeping blocks. The main hotel area has got a large lobby area with a few seats in it, and the reception desk. There is an area for the kids with air hockey, pool tables, arcade games etc. There is also a little shop which sells alsorts, but is a bit pricey! There is also a lounge bar where you can sit and waitresses will take your order and bring your drinks to you in a glass.

The restaurant - this is what lets the hotel down in my opinion and why I only gave it 4 out of 5 rating. The restaurant simply cannot cope with the amount of guests. Dinnertime is fine. But at night it is a cattle market. Dinner starts at 6.30 till 9.30 and it is busy all the time. The staff work extremely hard clearing tables and cleaning up, replenishing food and plates. But its simply not enough. The tables are packed together so everyone is pushing around and bumping into others. You struggle to find clean plates and glasses. Food runs out and is not replaced quick enough. Its not the fault of the staff, the restaurant simply isnt big enough to cope with demand, the staff do the best they can.

The food- although there is a wide variety of food available it wasnt really to our taste (and I would like to say we are not fussy eaters!). The guests are multi-national so they have to cater for all tastes, and unfortunately English isnt top of the list!! The deserts were really nice though!! They do theme nights, but dont get excited as their ideas arn't the same as ours. They did a chinese night and the only chinese things we found were plain noodles and sweet and sour pork!. BBQ night (thought this would be a good one - but no!!) expecting loads of BBQ food but only some chicken that had been spit roasted at the snack bar (id seen them cooking) and chopped up into bits and put in a mushroom gravy!! Tex-Mex night - didnt find anything they could call tex mex. And so the week went on. Dont get me wrong the food they served was well cooked and there was lots of choice but it was all served in strange sauces or didnt seem to go together. There is a brilliant salad bar though and a fruit salad bar. All the kids seemed to be walking round with chips on their plates and struggling to find something to go with them!!

You get one visit to the Al-a-carte restaurant. We saved it till our last night. It was in a seperate part of the hotel (near the waterpark). It is very relaxed compared to the main restaurant. Although service is very slow. It took them 20 minutes to bring us a drink and the menu. Its a mediteranian based menu and there is not much on it. The food we did have was nice though but there was not much of it. We didnt wait around for deserts as they were so slow, so we thanked them and went into the main restaurant to get them instead! Not much for the kids to choose from on the menu though! It was ok but I wouldnt pay to use it.

We used the main hotel pool once during our stay and it was good. Thats where the kids clubs are held and where the Animation team are. The snack bar isnt as good as the waterpark though and there are alot of flies round it. There are plenty of sunbeds but they arn't very comfy!!

The hotel is at the top of the main street. The surrounding area looks abit derelict as the shops are all closed up. Turn right out of the complex and a 5 minute walk gets you to King Arthur Pub (very good - went every night) another 5 minutes and you will reach the shops, bars etc. Keep walking and you will be in the middle of Faliraki. When you reach the roundabout at the bottom of the road you will find McDonalds!!

The sea/beach is across the road from the hotel but it will take you 10 minutes to reach it and a game of hide and seek. There are little roads to access it but they are not signposted so you have to look!. The best way we found was going down the road near the bus stops outside the hotel. That takes you to the beach. This is the quiet end. If you get on the beach and walk to your right you will see all the lively section!!

Night - The Animation team work really hard day and night. Although some of what they did wasn't really for us they did seem to keep the kids entertained. They did have an ABBA tribute on one night and a Fire Show. On Saturday the Animation Team have the night off and they had a Greek Night with music. The place was deserted by 10pm!!! enough said!! Drinks are served until midnight then they start turning the lights out on you!!!

Drinks - are all served in plastic cups unless you go in the lounge which i mentioned earlier. my hubby said the beer wasnt the worst he'd tasted and he did drink it all week, so it must have been ok. I had the cocktails, and I must say they are very strong!! Plenty of different ones available and they will even do a kids cocktail so they dont feel left out. Again the staff work extremely hard all the time!

Mozzies - Lots of people were walking round with loads of mozzie bites on their legs etc. I took plenty of spray and we were all lucky. The bugs are massive!!! And the ants are some of the biggest I have ever seen!!! So you have been warned!!!

Room Safe - Very expensive at 30 euro for 1 week - but what do you do. Theyve got to make their money somewhere!!!

Bus - Bus stop straight outside the hotel. 2.20 euro to Rhodes town - well worth a visit. Great harbour. 4 euro to Lindos (didnt go here though).

Trips are very expensive if you book with your rep or independantly. (compared to what ive paid in other countries).

I think thats about all. I know its detailed but it is my honest view of the place. The waterpark made this holiday for us. Without it, I think my review would have been different!! We really enjoyed the holiday and have come back relaxed and tanned, which at the end of the day is what you want from a holiday anyway!!!

Room Tip: We loved our room in the Family Block, you just dont get hot water!!!
8  Thank parkhousetotty
Reviewed May 29, 2013

we have just got back from here last week , my family and i had a great two weeks without any real issues , i would not take alot of notice of people putting the place down the food was very good , we had such a choice there was something for everyone , there was a large list of drinks and if they did not have your drink on there list they will make it for you , the waterpark was great fun with plenty to do and alot of life guards , our kids had such a fun time there while you can relax or join in there was plenty of food available in the park and even pizzas freshly made in front of you . the staff are very friendly and will help where they can , the rooms are cleaned every day also the hotel has someone cleaning 24/7 , we was so impressed with this holiday we are going again next year , well done thompson top marks

Room Tip: book a room on the other side of the hotel away from the pool if you like to sleep early due to ente...
2  Thank john p
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just returned ( 26th May) from this hotel with two boys 14 &11. Having read the reviews they are all accurate and as we know a holiday is what you make if it !!. I want to highlight that the childrens club is not a secure " sign in, sign out " process, it just just a drop in and the children can decide to leave and wander by the pool or even take the path to the road.......... The annimation team do work hard, but the daytime activites do get boring when it is the same thing at the same time every day. We took table tennis bats but the table was broken last season and has not been replaced - so we were disappointed. You must see the annimation team comedy sketch show - the highlight of the week. Pizza at the water park great and yes the tiles to the wave pool are very very slippy ( I had to crawl out ) . Front of house very clean, as were the rooms, hotel toilets have missing seats and no locks on the doors. I reported to couple of H&S issues to Glen the rep and these were resolved within 48 hours. ( Good luck Glen with your next job) . When buying your bits and pieces to take home - it gets more expensive the nearer the shop to the centre, so go to the first supermarket on the left and the first souvenir shop on the right. Thank you Alexandra/Nicos/Chef for helping out with getting the gluten free food - we got there in the end !

Room Tip: Block numbers 400 - have new wardrobes and freshly painted, may sleep 5 inc a bunk bed, our bed had...
1  Thank Baker-Gills
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Ill start with the bad things as there were so many good things to overrule the less than brilliant bits.
The buffet food was generally nice and had varied choices. Although, most of the dishes could be considered bland. The choices for children were the same every night. My little girl did burn her arm on one of the hot plates quite badly and I would urge parents to beware they are at the tiny tots height with no safeguarding measures other than your own supervision. We had a family room that was beautifully kept, although, it did seem to have an ant and cockroach infestation. This was dealt with promptly and successfully by the staff within an hour. The water park has a large wave pool. The flooring as you may expect is shiny tiles. Because of this I cannot tell you how many people slip on the way in. (Quite amusing to watch if your in the first row of sun beds) The green and orange slide within the water park take people down in rubber rings. I would seriously advise against going in a double ring as these seem to tip over constantly. As such, the life guards are forever over there trying to retrieve people from the flume.
Now for the good bits. The staff team could not have been more helpful, compassionate and truly endearing if they tried. Issues and problems were dealt with swiftly. Staff went out of their way to aid me and as such, made the holiday a success. The cleaning team were extremely kind and put finishing personal touches to the room. Alexandra from the restaurant, takes time to speak to the children and know the clients. giving little gifts that made my girls feel special. The pool was a hive of activity and cleaned constantly throughout the day. We had a better holiday because of the staff. I can't say I had much to do with the animation team but my girls loved them so they won me over too. Glen the rep spent time to help with personal issues that arose and the first choice team were basically the only thing that kept me going during that time. Glen went above and beyond the call of duty on a number of occasions and has my heart felt thanks. The food in the water park was particulaly good and the fresh pizza made in front of you is a must. Overall a great holiday in an almost perfect setting.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Sammi8171
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time i have done a review on here and im writing it as i cant understand why people are saying the food was excellent, did i eat in another restaurant??? Now we go All Inclusive every year and always read reviews on here about food which said food excellent.
We came back 22nd May after a 1 week stay and the food was def not excellent. Im not a fussy person and will eat just about anything but i can honestly say the food was poor. The desserts however where lovely. Also flys on food which is very offputting.
The waterpark however was fantastic my 3 boys loved it. Could not fault it. Lifeguards all over and worked hard.The food in the waterpark was better and pizzas were fantastic the chef deserves a medal.
We were in room 102 right next to the stage and it was very loud why you would put a family with 3 young children there is beyond me but im not one to complain so put up with it. Also the last 2 days our bathroom was swarmed with flying ants and could only use it once it had been sprayed but it wasnt long before they were back again. God help the people in there now.
Resort very run down in my opinion.
Apart from that we had a good holiday but only due to the waterpark cant see us returning and cant understand why people have been returning year after year..............g

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank leanne2468
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Me and my family returned today from this hotel, we are a family of 5, children age 8,5,2.

The waterpark is fantastic the older 2 loved it! There were no queues and no fighting for sunbeds. The snack bar at the water park is by far the best With freshly made stone baked pizza, salad, chips, meat, etc. There are lifeguards in abundance , at least 2 on every ride and slide making safety a priority.

the all inclusive food is typical all inclusive I'm a fussy eater so I've been on the salads for a week, but my husband and kids have always managed to have a plentiful meal. Pasta is always on so no matter what the theme night is pasta and a tomato sauce is always there to have.

I would strongly advise to email and request a new room by the waterpark, we did and the room was lovely minus the hole in the ceiling and leaking water but that's an issue that we Will take up with the tour operator. The decor and set up was modern and fresh we had a look at the older rooms and they were tired and in need of updating. The new rooms start with a 5 or a 6. The new ones also have 2 air con units in them making them comfortable but they don't have baths, they have walk in shower cubicles.

the evening entertainment crew are Hilarious, Sean and Brett and the gang were brilliant, the only thing that let it down was they did the same songs and the same dance moves every night so it got a bit tired! It needs spicing up and changing to give the kids some variety and its aimed at kids age 2 - 7 there is no entrainment aimed at older kids.

would we come back? Probably as a second choice we would try somewhere else if only for a variety in the entertainment for the children, but we had 7 full days in the waterpark and the kids loved it so really that's all that mattered!

Room Tip: Always request a new room! Near the waterpark email 6 months prior to departure
1  Thank ruthey99