“Good Value, nice atmosphere!”
Review of Venezia Resort

Venezia Resort
Ranked #25 of 70 Hotels in Faliraki
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I spent 11 days in Aug 2012 with my children aged 12 and 14 in Hotel Venezia in Faliraki. I was not sure at first I would like it. The hotel is located on a hill about 20 minutes from the Rhodes airport. For sure you get a real nice view from there. We got there in the evening; the room (a small studio well furnished with a sea view) was clean but real hot, when we got in. They have a system that switches off electricity in your room when the key is not inserted in a special plug; which means the air conditioning does not work when you are out of the room. All remote controls for: the air co, TV and DVD need to be requested at the reception, which I found a little odd and except for the air co, they don't tell you can have them unless you ask. Apparently some people would steal them. I would suggest to the hotel to request a lump sum for all that, let’s say 50 EUR as a security deposit and if you keep everything in order and do not damage your room or steal remote controls, they give your money back when you leave.

Be aware the bathroom is basic; the shower is really small, you can hardly move around, even the kids complained at first. The water taps or faucets need to be maintained with vinegar or better changed; they are really poor and splash. The toilet seat bites your buns... The shower drain got stuck but they were quick to come and took care of it. The kitchenette is rather simple but handy and provides you with plates, glasses, silverware, a pot, a pan, a kettle and two electric burners. A toaster would be really welcome. I had 2 other British ladies tell me they were missing a toaster in their room. Given the fact that Hotel Venezia seems to be very British clients oriented, I think they would please them and me at the same time if they would provide a toaster in their kitchenette in the future. Another one, the mattresses were hard, maybe I am the Princess and the pea, but this is how I felt.

The hotel is located outside of town, which means you are away of it all... It depends what you are looking for, anyway it is hard to go for a walk in the evening for example. It takes more like 35-40 minutes by foot to get to the beach of Faliraki... a nice sandy beach however! We did it several times by almost 40 C and we timed it. You can use the public transportation; a bus comes every hour or every other hour but is not always on time, late or early it depends on days... If you rent a car, you might feel less stuck, I suppose.

The restaurant was fine but the menu could use more variety, especially for people eating there every night. I enjoyed the barbecue on Sundays and the nice chicken salad.
The place is small children friendly, indoor and outdoor play grounds are available as well as a small swimming pool. A small supermarket is open all day long in the hotel which is rather handy. The prices are high sometimes on some items such as dairy products but it is helpful.

Anyway despite all the little short comings mentioned above, we had a nice vacation. The best part is the swimming pool and the bar, where you can have a small snack or a British Breakfast at any time, music, around the pool, nice atmosphere… The pool is clean. Sun beds were available and no need to fight for one at any time of the day. We spent a very relaxing time there and even all was not perfect, I would say we got our money’s worth. I really did not want to leave when we had to go. I got the time out I was looking for and the kids were reasonably happy as well.

The people managing the place were nice and helpful and I hope that all the investments they are doing on the hotel will pay off and that they will carry on their business. I would be willing to go again and would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Valerie E

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Very helpful staff, nice pool, good restaurants and bars with descent prices. We arrived very early with no reservation for that night and the staff helped us get a room to a discount price.
Nice, clean rooms. We lived in a nice Studio room, balcony facing the sea. Good air condition, possibility to rent DVD:s. The room was cleaned everyday with new towels every other day.
The hotel has a family aura and we never had any problems getting sunbeds when needed.
About 10-15 minutes (1,5km) from Faliraki beach which is a nice walk.
Mini market with the most useful things next to the reception.
If you're going to Faliraki and want a nice hotel that feels well maintained, choose Venezia.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mikalf74
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We booked to stay here for first 3 nights of our 2 weeks hols, then went over to turkey on the boat to stay in a 4* hotel. We ended up calling our agent to change our booking to come back to this hotel, as we were not made to feel at all wecome by the turks. the contrast between the greeks and the turks was un-real!
The owner here would bend over backwards to help us.
the views from our room, bar and restaurant are fantastic, All three rooms we stayed in no problem with air con or anything else.
We will book here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Yajeed A
Reviewed July 18, 2012

As a cheap hotel I wasn't expecting an all singing all dancing place to stay however this took bad to the extreme. When we arrived at reception to check in the reception people were far from friendly and welcoming to start with.
when we got to our room it was like a sauna, the air con clearly didn't work properly so we went and told reception and they said it is the settings on the remote, so we changed the setting and still too hot.. it was actually cooler outside. after reporting the problem 5 times and 3 nights of no sleep someone came up to look at it. they concluded that the air con was broke and they would have someone out to fix it.
On another night we decided to rent a DVD that are available in the hotel and have a quiet night in. when we turned the television on to watch the DVD they were volume restricted which meant we couldn't turn the TV up, I would understand that it is so you don't disturb the other guests but its a bit extreme when you cant even hear it yourself, so we rang down reception to tell them our problem in a nice way, to which we got the answer 'tough luck' and the phone put down.
We went all inclusive on our trip which was regrettable as we ended up spending at least half of our money on food because we were provided with food I wouldn't even feed to a dog. breakfast just wasn't worth getting up for, for dinner you had a choice of two things, if you didn't like any of the two choices then it was tough you had to buy something, but the food was of poor quality, one of the dinner choices was pizza and chips, for the tomato part of the pizza they used tomato sauce which I found shocking. the whole time we were there we received one nice meal.
The restrictions on the drinks available for all inclusive were also very tight as you could not have a spirit drink until after 6pm. As I can not drink Beer or Wine I wasn't able to enjoy a drink around the pool which is a must when your on holiday.

Wouldn't say it ruined our holiday as we tried to keep in high spirits but definitely would never return to this hotel it was absolutely disgraceful!

Room Tip: a superior room is cheaper than an ordinary room I found.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lauren-Heap
TakisSarikas, General Manager at Venezia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Lauren-Heap,

Thank you for your review.

It is unfortunate that there were certain issues which did not make your holiday totally enjoyable.

We at Venezia Resort, aim at constantly improving our services and upgrading our facilities. In 2013, we have renovated a large number of rooms, public areas and have upgraded our food offering at the buffet during all meal periods.

We wish to apologise for not coming up to your standards and would like to reassure you that every effort is being made to rectify issues and provide a great service to all our guests.

We look forward to extending our hospitality in your next visit to Rhodes.

Best regards,

Takis Sarikas
Managing Director

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel is set at a seemingly low price and with that there must be a catch. As a fit young teenager all this talk of a "massive hill" seemed to sound irrelevant to me as I thought I could just walk to the beach and the strips everyday no problem. It is a long walk and does take a while, even on a student budget i still found myself taking taxi's home for 5 euros when I couldn't find the will power to trudge up the hill of death. Especially at 4am after a night out carrying your sick mate up the hill.

Secondly, the staff aren't exactly very forthcoming or welcoming. The receptionists were fairly bulldog faced the whole holiday, and no one except for the bar man and the owner were very approachable AT ALL. I didn't know whether this was the Greek mentality or just because they don't like tourists. The food wasn't brilliant either if you want choice and different types of food from the Greek culture you won't get it here, they advertised a "Greek BBQ" every Sunday which tasted just as it does in rainy old England.

My last criticism is of the lack of activities and liveliness of the place. Being a teenager with my group of friends I was looking for some music that wasn't just "Adele" on repeat and maybe some activities that we could partake in to get to know other people at the hotel. You would already have to be with friends or family when coming here otherwise you'd be bored as blind guy watching a silent movie.

Apart from this the hotel was very good for the price you pay, the view was fantastic, the pool was decent with water polo goals. The snack bar by the pool was good, bar was a fair price for the local beer, the rooms were good for what you pay. The balcony had a good view (except we did have a dead bat in the balcony when we got there).

Although being a teenager I didn't come from the hotel and only used the room for sleep (not much of it). Faliraki is amazing and if your a group of friends looking to come on a crazy LADS or LASS holiday then come here stay at this hotel you'll be fine. RAKI has some amazing clubs and is always lively whatever day of the week - you won't regret it. Ignore the reviews of old people saying its a bad hotel, it will do for what you pay and you'll have a great time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in, its friendly, family orientated and the staff cannot do enough for you. I have been back twice a year now for the last 9 years. Every year I go back it has been updated in some form, rooms decorated, extra rooms built etc. They are now doing all incl. as well as half board. The rooms are spacious with good views from all balcony's. For the elderly that like early nights it is quiet and no rowdy youngsters as they go into Faliraki where the night life is. It takes 10-15 minutes to walk down the steep hill which is a pleasant walk and from there are all restuarants, bars etc. For a cheap fare I always get a cab back up the hill. I am seriously thinking of moving over to Rhodes in a couple of years and will most certainly be visiting the Venezia a few times a week to see Takis and his family who own the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Another year another visit to the Venezia. I cannot improve on the superlatives I have previously given this hotel. The hotel is still officially rated as two stars although the companies that use it rate it as three stars. I agree with the companies. Every year the hotel is upgraded in some way and a lot of rooms and suites have been given a complete make over. There are problems in Greece but you wouldn't know it here. You get a great rate for the Pound and the staff are just brilliant concentrating on the guests and not their problems. As with my previous reports you get the best of both worlds at this hotel as it is situated in a quiet position but is only ten minutes away from Faliraki town. Via a steep hill it must be said but walking down is very nice but being a drinker and the wrong side of Fifty I would get a cab back anyway. The family atmosphere is also due to the sheer number of people that return every year to the hotel and automatically know each other. I went twice last year for a total of seven weeks, unfortunately although I will be going back in September it will only be for another two weeks. I would gladly move to Rhodes to live and I would still visit this hotel a number of days a week. During the winter the plan is to complete another pool where the tennis court is now with another cafe/bar. Whatever they do may improve the hotel but the people are as good as it gets.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple