“INSECURE HOTEL”

Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 70 Hotels in Faliraki
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed 2 weeks in Mitsis Alila Spa Resort in June
Hotel is really beautiful, rooms are large, balcony with sea view. Everything is clean, new, luxury
The food is not bed. Good food choices in the main restaurant.
Unfortunately there are no trees so you can’t find shade places.
But more important that the hotel is absolutely non-safety. Previous reviewers mentioned of strange situation with towels. Once day my towel had been stolen during my swimming in the sea. I was absent not more than 30 minutes. I complained to the reception but staff told me that it’s my problem. I tried to speak with manager but she was busy all time. After my regular visit to reception manager found time to meet with me. She explained that it’s my fault and I had to pay for stolen towel, I need to control towels myself and we had to swim in turns. This is a “5* hotel”. They don’t have any cameras or lifeguards near the pool and beach. Towels theft was happened every day.
I don’t want to be in the hotel where I feel myself unsafely. I want to swim with my family and know that my towels and goods are in safety. I don’t want to waste time looking for towels and discussion with staff.
So I don’t recommend this hotel and I don’t want to come back it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank TetianaKyiv_Ukraine

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for a week, and it wasn't long enough. Positives - beautiful décor, fantastic rooms, wonderful food choices in the speciality and buffet restaurants, and excellent staff in the wine and champagne bars. Staff in the beach bar work really hard, they could do with some help! Choice of Mexican, pitta, meze, Greek, Italian, Asian and burger places with everything cooked to order. Pizza cooked fresh at the beach all day, every day. Great choice of drinks, wine is good and Gordon's gin available in the reception bar. Excellent selection of ice creams available too. We have stayed in many AIs and the choices of food an beverages was by far the best we have experienced.

Some strange issues that just need to be sorted - not sure why you have to pay £20 deposit for beach towels, seems to be an unnecessary bureaucracy. Difficult to change beach towels as the guy is also responsible for cleaning the beach so he is often not available, and is mobbed when he is. The gym is a waste of time (3 pieces of equipment) that no one uses as it is £10 to use it per time - would be better to equip it properly and let guests use it. Some of the small rooms are tiny and my holiday would have been completely different if had stayed in what is effectively a box - make sure you have a sea view. Reception staff could do with smiling (with the odd exception!).

There is a large terrace on the first level which would make an excellent adults only sunbathing area, but is left empty with a pool that no one uses. The option of child free driking areas was much appreciated, but as the beach and pool areas can get really noisy as there were so many children, this would make an ideal option for a quieter life!

Room Tip: go for a sea view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Salcheltenham
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband, I and two children (2 & 5 yrs. old) spent two weeks at the Alila. The hotel is immaculate, luxuriously and tastefully designed. Room was big enough for the four of us, spotless and with an enormous terrace with sea view. Our room was located on the first floor.

We spent most of our time at the children pool, since the kids didn't like the beach and the sea was still cold. But they had plenty of fun at the children pool and whenever they got bored, they just went to the kids club nearby. Only negative here is that you have to reserve your sunbeds early in the morning, otherwise there is nothing free. We tried once to go at the pool at 9am and we couldn't find any unreserved sunbeds. Not that people would be there so early, they just reserved their sunbeds and some of them came only at 11-12 ...

Food was very nice. The buffet restaurant has a large variety of fresh food, from salads, omelettes, fruits, cereals, all kind of yogurts, meat, side dishes, etc, etc. More than plenty to chose from. For lunch or dinner we often went to the specialty restaurants. Our favorites were the Asian, Italian and Ouzeria, but Greek, Mexican, Pita Corner and the Burger were also very nice.
Also, you could have pizza at the pizza hut on the beach, ice cream and all kind of drinks at the beach bar. There is really plenty of choice.
Champagne and wine bar were also very nice.
Entertainment was also excellent, our children really enjoyed the mini-disco.

Spa is expensive, but they offer all the time packages and discounts, so I got a really nice facial at a discounted price.

All in all, the resort is beautiful, but really, its main assets are the people working there, very friendly, always helpful, I really hope they take good care of them.

The only negative, as a previous reviewer also remarked, is the quality of some of the guests. I think that more than 70% of the guests were Russian and some of them were really rude, not just to the staff, but also to the other guests. We looked with amusement to some of their manners, but I bet it's not easy for the staff to handle such people.
Nevertheless, we didn't let any of this to spoil our holiday. We had all in all a fantastic holiday and we would return there anytime.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank DeliaP
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We spent a wonderful 12 day holiday 23 May at the Alila. Hotel is truly beautiful, rooms very spacious, all fittings are top quality and a contemporary style. Staff extremely helpful and friendly, especially the assistant hotel manager Yannis. If you are not a fan of buffet food there are 6 other speciality restaurants which all serve excellent food. Entertainment was live acts on the terrace from 930pm some of them were excellent. The beach was pebbly, plenty of sunbeds with mattresses and each had a parasol. The beach and pizza bars served drinks and pizzas all day so you didn't need to leave the beach. The only negative was the small gym is part of the spa which is separately owned and had to pat to use it. Excellent value and we will definitely return, thank you for the most relaxing holiday in one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: We emailed the hotel with our room request and received exactly what we requested.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lindaterry
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I have just came back from this resort a day ago and i must say, it has been the best holiday i have ever been on. Everything was in its place and spotless. The staff are very friendly as long as you are friendly to them apart from the reception staff who i never saw smile once. Most of the credit goes to the animation staff as they are the ones who made my week special. They are lovely people who make wonderful friends. There are a few minor problems with the hotel that can easily be resolved such as the stony beach as the shop sells shoes that you can wear to go swimming.

All together, the hotel for me was heaven on earth and i didnt want to come home. I will deffonately be going back! :)

Jay x

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the Alila. We have travelled extensively and now stayed at four Mitsis hotels. We would regard the Alila as the best hotel we have been to.
Building: Immaculately clean, bright, modern and beautifully furnished throughout.
Rooms: The rooms are large, bright, with good storage. Free min-bar which is stocked daily. Dressing gowns, slippers. Good air-con and lovely balcony with sea view. We were on the 8th floor. Bathroom was pristine with a walk in shower and a selection of toiletries. The towels were white, fluffy and changed twice a day if required. Yes the shower cubicle leaked slightly but this was remedied by putting a small towel on the floor.
Food and drink: We only had breakfast in the main restaurant and found this to be varied and plentiful. Fresh omelettes made for you and something for everyone.
For lunch and dinner we ate at the various a la carte restaurants around the hotel. All of these were excellent especially the Asian and Italian. With regards to the reservation computer to book these restaurants, if it appears there are no vacancies simply go and speak to the restaurant manager, who is very obliging, and always managed to accommodate us.
There is also fresh pizza made all day long next to the beach bar.
The champagne and wine bar were superb. We loved going there for pre dinner drinks and canapés. No, it isn't Moet but was still very pleasant as was the Alila red wine. Drinks in the other bars and restaurants were very good and the cocktails were freshly made.
Staff: We have left the best until last! Animation guys, Andrea, Osama and Santas were the friendliest, kindest and funniest team we have had the pleasure to meet. They made our holiday really special. Lilia in the wine bar and the blonde lady in the champagne bar were also so pleasant and friendly. Stamos in the night bar and Michaelis in the beach bar were efficient good humoured guys.
Negatives: The only negative we encountered (and there were some exceptions) was the arrogant attitude of the Russian guests. How the staff cope with such abject rudeness is only to be applauded. They appear to display very few, or no manners towards anyone, but we did not let this spoil what was a fabulous holiday.
We both enjoy the finer things in life so our advice is, book it, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must. We were on the 8th floor and the view was superb. There are two lifts which are...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lynnandtonyCarlisle
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic week here. Myself and my girlfriend are fairly fussy people andenjoy the finer things in life and we weren't disappointed. the hotel has been finished to a very high standard. The rooms were spacious and well decorated and always very clean. The theme restaurants are really good. Try the Asian restaurant! The staff work very hard and are so nice, eventhough some guests can be very rude to them. overall, if ur looking for a relaxing holiday with good food, drink and comfortable surroundings then u can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank dogsbody689
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faliraki
Mitsis Faliraki Beach Hotel & Spa
Atrium Platinum Hotel
#5 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
AquaGrand Exclusive Deluxe Resort

Been to Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!