“Very nice”

Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Faliraki
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Returned last week after 2 weeks at the Maran. The hotel is lovely very clean and the staff are so friendly and helpful...love Ritza on the bar and Charlie is sooo funny :o)

The rooms are basic, but we do not expect anything more as we have always gone on cheap self catering hols...and only use a room to sleep and shower and change...what else do you want it for on holiday...right??!! As long as it is clean and comfortable that suits me. The bedding and towels are changed 6 days a week,someone mentioned that the maids dont speak English...what!..you are in Greece...lol. I was quite disappointed when I arrived on this visit to Rhodes to find that the Greek people speak amazing English, I hardly got the chance to try out my holiday greek phrases. The rooms are hot on a night, there is air con or hire a fan...we just left the balcony door open and the bathroom window and door open and the breeze went through.

The hotel reception is open 24hrs, free Wifi, and there is a small supermarket for basics, they will open it up if you ask after closing times. It was great by the pool as I do not spend too much time there usually, but this time around we spent a lot of the second week there, it is very quiet and ample sun loungers to go around, plenty of umberellas and trees for shade if you want out of the blazing sun for a spell, snacks and light meals can be bought at the pool snack bar for a reasonable price along with cocktails and your favourite tipple.

When we first arrived our balcony was blocked by a 50ft palm tree...after our first week we asked if we could move and it was no trouble at all. We were moved to the top floor at the front of the hotel...WOW what an amazing view of Faliraki and the sea..it was stunning sitting on the balcony before going out.

As already mentioned...put this hotel at the bottom of the hill and it would have been ideal for me, but after a week of up and down the hill I did not want to do it anymore...that is why we spent the second week in the hotel pool...but saying that I have been to Rhodes 6 times and seen most of it anyway, and saw a lot in the first week so nothing was spoiling...you can get a taxi from faliraki to the hotel for 5 euros and there is a bus stop outside which will take you to Rhodes Town for 2.20 euros one way via faliraki centre and the waterpark.

I would definately stay at this hotel again if I go to Rhodes for a week and looking for just a relaxing holiday. Rhodes is an amazing place ...I love it :o)

Oh ...and at the bottom of the road there is a restaurant called Mikes...lovely food all fresh...he does an amazing pizza (massive) and will deliver to the hotel..or if you order at the restaurant he will run you up to the hotel in his car...killing 2 birds with one stone...lol

Room Tip: Definately try and get a room at the front of the hotel for those amazing views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elaineella

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My friend and his ex-partner booked this hotel and then split up. He asked if I wanted to take her place (for free - just pay for the flights), which I obviously accepted.

The drive from the airport was short, we didn't book transfers, just jumped in a taxi and it was quite cheap - There was a sign with tariffs next to the taxi rank.

On arrival at the hotel, the sign "Hotel Maran" was missing a letter, which was not a good start. The hotel and swimming pool was clean and the food was not too bad. I don't remember anything being expensive either.

It was a relatively small hotel, with a decent sized pool which was cool and the weather was brilliant every day.

So the major downfall was the walk to the clubs/bars/beach as it was down a huge hill which took about 25 minutes - Not too bad, but when walking back drunk at 5am, up a huge incline, it is really not fun. I am not exaggerating with the incline, it's sharp.

The staff were very friendly and accomodating.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the breakfast as I never attended!

The rooms were so hot, it wasn't really possible to sleep with or without the door open. Air-conditioning was available, but I didn't see it being viable as I was only in the room for about 5 hours per day. There wasn't really any sort of view from our room either.

I toyed between poor and average just due to the distance from the beach and the hill. The other factors are irrelevant due to the low price.

I would however, not return here. If you are going to use it as somewhere to sleep during a clubbing holiday, it's probably not a good idea. Possibly better for a small family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just returned from Faliraki and stopped in the Hotel Maran for 8 nights. Rooms are very basic but clean, beds were changed and made every day. The staff are friendly and accommodating to your needs. The pool area is OK could probably do with an upgrade, pool bar is open everyday until 6pm serving a range of hot and cold food/drinks and ice creams at reasonably prices.
The hotel is situated up a steep hill and over a mile from the beach and central area of Faliraki, therefore if you are not wanting to walk a lot a taxi would cost you approx 12 euros to the beach and back and the same in the evening if you wanted to go to the main area, so it can get quite costly. We walked it twice a day to save on cost and to keep active.

At the bottom of the hill you will find Thomas pub & Mick's pub, both of these bar are your typical English 'football' bars which sell English food both owners are extremely friendly and welcoming, they are really nice people, the bars are quieter as they are out of the centre so it's a nice stop off point for a cheeky V&T.

I would recommend the Hotel Maran for a cheap and cheerful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A very nice hotel, situated nicely just outside Faliraki main town. The hotel staff couldn't do enough for you and would go out of their way just to make you happy. The pool was great, quite big and quiet, plenty of sun beds and the pool bar was great. The rooms were big enough but could use a little T.L.C. Overall a good hotel for what you pay but if you want a 5 star hotel at 1 star prices then this isn't for you.

Room Tip: If you are travelling as a family with 3 adults then get two rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stopped at the Hotel Maran in Faliraki for 8 nights and if you go there expecting a palace you'd be disappointed.
It's a family run hotel, cleaners change the bedding an make the bed every day....
All the staff are friendly...We needed extra pillows so I went to reception at 11.30pm...ish and the owner was happy to fetch them.
There's a shop for basics and a bar... The pool is clean and and there's ample sunbeds...
Basically, it's a place to sleep, chill and get ready to hit the town...
We enjoyed it and had no complaints apart from the 1.3 mile walk to the beach...down hill.
The walk back however is long, hot and shattering..
Loved the place, loved the venue and if you're don't mind a walk...it's a cheap comfortable place to crash for the holiday..!!

Room Tip: A/C available at €5 per night.... We didn't bother!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed in Maran with a friend in August 2012 and can only say that the hotel exceeded my expectations. After reading the reviews we were a bit sceptical about staying in Maran but as soon as we arrived we felt at home and welcome.

The pool area was lovely and queit, loungers easily avaliable and lovely trees provided a shade in the hottest time of the day. Greenery around the pool area and at the back of the hotel is an added bonus as it made the hotel this much cosier. The pool bar is basic but caters for every taste with salads and omlettes on the menu as well as the variety of cocktails!

Rooms very basic, but for the price we paid, we had everything we needed, rooms cleaned every day and bed sheets changed, functioning shower and comfy beds. Air con costs 5 euros per day and we decided to try and sleep without it first night and didnt feel like we needed it for the rest of our stay.

A special word for for the team working in Maran, they were absolutely fantastic, Ritza the barmaid is a star, i really enjoyed our conversations! Terry the owner made sure we had everything we needed. The little supermarket in the lobby was well stocked with all the necessities you might possibly need during your stay.

Reading other reviews I noticed the location of the hotel was the biggest issue for most of people. I totally agree that it won't be the best location for families with push chairs or elderly people as the hotel is situated on the hill, not a very steep one but the stretch of the road is quite long. However I found the location to be spot on as the hotel is still in Faliraki but away from all the hustle and bustle of drunken nights in the resort centre but within an easy reach of it. The walk down in the mornings was fantastic, however i would not recommend walking up the hill in the middle of the day as the heat can get quite unbearable. The taxis are everywhere and cost only 5 euros from the resort centre to the hotel.

Another good point is the bus stop right outside the hotel. You can catch a bus to Rodos Town or waterpark without having to walk to the resort centre. Though they dont come very often, the timetable is avaliable at reception and tickets are cheap.

All in all our stay in Maran was fantastic, cheap and pleasurable. When i do go back to Rhodes I will stay in Maran!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room with the sea view, thanks to the high location the view is amazing!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank anastassia d
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

stayed july 2012 wiv mum n 4yr old son 4 2 weeks, had g8t time,staff very friendly n helpful,food very good n good value.Aircon a must!.WOOD DEF GO BACK.Beautiful island, worth going out n about,waterpark v good. Go 4 it:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faliraki
Achousa Hotel
#48 of 71 in Faliraki
Panorama Studios
Panorama Studios
#18 of 72 in Faliraki

Been to Hotel Maran? Share your experiences!