“I'd go back again tomorrow”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ourania Studios

Ourania Studios
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Petra
St Helens, United Kingdom
“I'd go back again tomorrow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

Before I start wittering on, I'd just like to say my rating of 5/5 is based on my expectations prior to the holiday. I did a bit of research, read previous reviews on here, so knew it wasn't a 5* palace. My review is based on wanting (and getting) a relaxing and relatively rustic Greek experience. If you want gleaming surfaces, top of the range cooking facilities, and don't like seeing the odd ant this isn't the place for you.

I stayed for a week in mid-July on a package with Thomas Cook. Travelling solo, I wanted a nice quiet place with guaranteed hot weather and a nice pool. Petra, and the Ourania Studios, delivered exactly what I was after. Its a fair coach trip from the airport, probably about 1.5 hrs, but through beautiful scenery.

Check-in consisted of the 'mother' of the studios giving you a room number. Simple but so much better than standing around for half an hour in a reception area filling out forms that will just end up in a bin. I think I had room 7, on the 1st floor of the main block overlooking the entrance. Got the afternoon and evening sun, which was perfect for a few cans of Mythos on the balcony before dinner. Room had 2 single beds, wardrobe, desk, kitchen cupboards, hobs, sink, fridge and limited amount of crockery/cutlery. Its not a place for cooking, but not sure why you'd want to with the food on offer in town. Bathroom was fine, with shower, sink and toilet. Despite daytime temps hitting 40C+ I didn't bother with the air-con, just left the balcony doors ajar and the room seemed okay. Fresh sheets/towels during the week, bin emptied twice I think. There's an annexe with 4 rooms about 50m walk from the main block. Seemed to get favourable reviews from fellow guests.

The pool and bar/restaurant area was probably the clincher for me. Absolutely top class. More sun loungers than guests, even when fully occupied! Pretty new furniture too. Pool was a fair size and a pretty nice temperature. Its a regret of mine that I didn't eat an evening meal in the restaurant, but I had lunchtime snacks and a fair few afternoon/early evening drinks there. Cheapest pints I had all week (2.50 euros) in there, and soft drinks/water reasonable too. Pleasant surprise seeing as you're a captive market. Wonderful views out over the farmland and mountains and sunshine throughout the day.

Because there aren't too many rooms it felt a pretty communal place, with lots of the guests getting on with each other. A number of returning groups ( I think Rita and Alan from a previous review were there when I was! Hello!), but it never felt cliquey. The family that run the studios are, as has been stated before, managing their farmland too, but I never once had to wait for someone to serve me an ice cold drink! Christos the boss might appear a bit gruff to some, but he was a gent. Ably assisted by his wife (probably served me more than most) and, I assume, his son and daughter. A nice and very hard working family.

Its about a 5 mins walk down a stony (but perfectly fine) track to the seafront. Once you get there, turn right for a decent selection of bars/restaurants/shops. Turn left and its a few mins walk, past several bars/restaurants/cafes to the main town centre of Petra. Really nice place, with little winding streets lined with eateries, pleasant atmosphere and the church overlooking everything from atop the rock. I could rattle on all day about the town as I really enjoyed it but this is supposed to be about the accommodation!!

If you're able (and I'd never touched one before), hire a moped and head off around the mountain roads. One of the best day's I've had on holiday. Roads are so scenice and very quiet. Up the hill to Petri, around to Skala Sikamenas and then over to Molyvos and the hot springs at Eftalou. I covered just a small portion of northern Lesvos and I want to see more!

Anyway, back to the accommodation. As I said, if you're the type of person who goes running to reception when you find an ant scuttling across the floor, don't bother. If you're happy to relax and take the local idiosyncrasies as a part of a holiday when visiting another country then I'm happy to recommend this place as the perfect base for Petra and Lesvos. I don't often return to the same resort, let alone the same accommodation, but I may well make an exception here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank majp81

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Crawley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Ourania Studios was dirty, hairs in the bed and bathroom, was unuable to use the balcony as the birds had messed all over chairs and table, cleaning equipment left in the pool. It took 2 days to get a kettle.
The owners where rude, not sure if if we saw them smile!!!
Worse place in Greece we have stayed in, Don`t go there!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank sandra s
Redruth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

How we love Lesvos, Petra and these studios! Lesvos is unspoilt, Greek, quiet, scenic, with so many places to visit. As always, we hired a car from the airport and really enjoyed driving; the roads are generally good, well signposted, and with glorious views round every corner. We discovered the tranquillity of the Geras gulf this time; and enjoyed finding a couple of beaches off the beaten track.
Petra remains peaceful; the Greek economic situation was evident in a few closed shops and restaurants, and in the fact that the taxi drivers were all on strike - but otherwise it is unchanged. Still plenty of restaurants, all offering Greek dishes plus the usual spag bol burgers etc - but the burgers are often home made and delicious. There are some cafe bars offering free wireless internet (we visited Eden a few times, using their free beach beds and brollies in between internet use).
The Ourania studios are wonderfully situated, a five minute stroll through farmland down to the beach, or a 10 minute wander through the cobbled streets. The studios are basic; there's a fridge and kettle, and a couple of electric hobs, and that's it. Twin beds, bathroom with shower - and a shower curtain, which is unusual for Greece. Towels are changed twice weekly, studios cleaned and sheets changed weekly. Don't come here for luxury rooms; come for the peace, the fantastic views, a lovely spacious poolside area and a wonderful restaurant and bar. Christos and Ourania are great cooks; their fillet steaks are the best I've ever tasted. He does specials like pork shoulder slow roasted with honey and herbs; or lamb slow cooked with rosemary - and they are delicious. Also ask him to make rizogallo - rice pudding made with milk from his farm, and fit for the gods.
Christos really doesn't make his money from the studios (he is paid a pittance by the our operators which bears no resemblance at all to the cost you'll pay for your holiday). If you spend some time getting to know him and his family, eat at the restaurant, buy a few drinks etc, then you'll find him a great man. Ourania speaks little English, so try a few words of Greek and make a lovely friend.
Would we come again - absolutely! And we wouldn't think of staying anywhere but the Ourania.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank REVDSAH
Wrexham North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Arrived after a lovely flight with Monach, got to the Apartments after 1 and ½ hour bus journey down very windy lanes when we arrived we where surprised there is no reception, one of the owners greets you and gives room number, we where staying with my daughter so had one of the 4 rooms which hold 3 people number 13 bigger of all of them, at the back in the shade with nice balcony. If possible l would recommend you suggest this one. If you have any problems with your room you just o down to the restaurant/bar and speak to one of the family who runs the place.

The apartments are more than adequate and large for Greece we had lots of storage space but only two rings if you did want to cook, we didn’t just ate out our made small snacks. Kettle and fridge plus cooking equipment if needed. Bathroom ok no curtain just drains away but decent size. The sheets are changed every Saturday and bins emptied every three days. We had no complaints bought the air con as it was extremely hot cost 45 euros a week but wow betide if you go out and leave it on the owners will come in and turn it off !!!

The pool area is lovely and we never had to wait for sun bed even when we did not get down to pool till after 11am, sometimes had pool to our self, Christos and family and very pleasant and when Christos is cooking or making drinks they are fab and very reasonable, he also will make you what you want even if its not on menu, such as egg on toast, chip butties for the daughter !!!.

Many of the guests we found had been several times before as of many of the people we met in Petra where on return visits.

I feel that some reviews have been very unfair we had a fab time, met some lovely people and had no issues with Christos or family, they just work hard and get tired running a farm and apartments. People need to remember what they have paid for these apartments and if you want 4* pay for it. This is more than adequate for what you get, infact a real bargain.

Last tip, when you check your cases in do not go into departure lounge there is nothing there we noticed everyone crossing the road going to the left, you then find a wonderful restaurant where you can get a lovely meal and drink on the beach when you see your plane fly in you can then go back into the airport make for the best departure lounge l have ever been in and even makes even the last day enjoyable.

Enjoy we did Lesvos is a gem and cant wait to return

Room Tip: If you are going with 3 ask for room 13 bigger of 3 bedrooms and in shade
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mand1967
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

We have just returned from a two-week holiday at the Ourania Studios, Petra and would like to share with everyone what a wonderful place to holiday this family-run accomodation is.
It was our second visit to the Ourania and we thoroughly enjoyed the warm welcome given by Christos and his family.
With lovely, clean and spacious accomodation, the studios offer brilliant facilities and a relaxed and happy atmosphere. The home-cooked food was some of the best we have ever tasted, which made us reluctant to want to explore the rest of Petra at mealtimes (and even drew in some of our other family members who were staying at another hotel), and Christos was more than willing to cater to any requests we made.
The pool and bar areas were superb and kept to an excellent standard, with a good atmosphere always around from both our fellow holiday makers and from Christos and his lovely family.
We would recommend this accomodation to anyone, and we cannot wait to return this week.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rita_alan
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

We have also stayed in the Ourania for a weke during May, and never had our room cleaned once.

When we arrived we had a pool of water beside the toilet and it was still there when we moved.

The state of the room was so bad that we took photos of the cockroaches and other "guests" we had and have since sent them onto Manos.

We totally agree that the accomodation and location is superb, but a clean of our room once/twice would have made this an even beter location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank HimnHer66
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

I read the reviews on the Ourania AFTER I had already booked it so I did go with some trepidation, however we couldn't have been happier with our choice.

The rooms are basic, as to be expected with the star rating and the bargain price for a 2 week holiday, but are kept spotlessly clean, as are all of the public areas. The self catering equipment and facilities were fine, there was enough to create decent food for the two of us however we mostly ate out anyway as the restaurants in Petra are fantasic (and a holiday is a holiday, we weren't planning on cooking at all!) There is a lack of preparation space but it just meant that we had to be organised!

We were in the separate annex rather than the 'main' apartment block, which we would request again if possible, the views from our terrace watching the sunset were fantastic and the terraces are a bit more spacious than the balconys in the apartment block.

The food at the Ourania is good and we had a couple of lunches and dinners there. It is stated very clearly by the rep that there are huge consequences for hotel/bar/restaurant owners for food and drink bought in from elsewhere consumed in the public areas of the premises so out of courtesy and respect we either bought from the Ourania (which is very reasonably priced) or went for a wander into Petra, which is only a few minutes walk away.

We had absolutely no problems with the owners and their family, they were the perfect hosts for us - no fuss and no pressure to eat/drink there but they were always around when needed - they just left us to it - maybe we just didn't do anything to make them grumble ; )

I loved the location amongst the quiet farmlands and I enjoyed the short walk through the streets into Petra, a true taste of real Greece, and Petra itself is in a great location with Molyvos on one side and Anaxos on the other - both very much worth a visit or two.

The very end bit of the beach in Petra is the best area we found. It is looked after by Coco Cafe which has lovely food and staff and is a lovely quiet spot. It's not a sandy beach but the water is beautifully clear and it is less stony at that end.

There was a couple staying at The Ourania who had been there twice a year for the last 20 years so that suggests it really isn't bad at all!! All in all, a great place and a great holiday, we would be going back this year if it wasn’t booked up for when we can go!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petra
Panorama Hotel
Clara Hotel
Clara Hotel
#2 of 13 in Petra
Niki Studios Seafront

Been to Ourania Studios? Share your experiences!