“Too far out..........toooooooo hot ( A/C didn't work)”
Review of Youth Hostel Anna

Youth Hostel Anna
Ranked #45 of 63 Specialty Lodging in Perissa
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I just got out of the ferry and overwhelmed by so many people offering you a place to stay. I took the one saying International Youth Hostel. Asked the guy how far it is out to Fira, the capital of Santorini. " Not too long", that's what he said, but it took forever to get there with the bus. The hostel is at the other end of the Island.
The hostel does offer Internet for a ok charge, and you can rent bikes and ATVs, buy ferry tickets.
You also get a discount on food at the restaurant at the other side of the street. The rooms were ok.
So late afternoon, it's really hot in my room and I ask about the air-conditioning. I was told that it is turned on at the reception at a certain time.
At 10Pm, the A/C still didn't work, I tried everything to get it on and the reception is closed. Only open from 8Am-2Pm and 6Pm-10Pm.
I wouldn't go there again, I am sure there must be something better at the same price.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

This was my first hostel experience and i loved it! They pick you up from the port in Santorini in their minibus free of charge and take you to the hostel. I stayed in the 14 bed dorm rooms which i would highly recommend - they are large, very clean, have air con and you all have a large locker to put your stuff in. These were 7 euros a night during July. The 3 bed private dorms were more expensive, and also up a floor - so depending if you want to be more sociable or not..
DO NOT be tempted by the 5euro a night dorm - this is downstairs in the basement, right beside the showers and bathrooms, and was regularly invaded by masses of cockroaches!

This hostel was right beside the beach, and plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. I recommend going to the Bar Soula as if you buy one drink you get free use of their amazing pool out the back.

Hostel Anna was an amzing social hostel-we met lots of interesting people here and the patio out the front is great for socialising! The only downside would be the showers and toilets-they were a bit rank and sharing 3showers and 2toilets for the whole hostel could be tough!but you well worth the money overalll...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed 3 nights in the 14-bed-dorm. It was very cheap, but the room was clean. There was a lot of noise in the night, but on the whole is the Hostel OK. It's easy to meet other Backpackers. The Toilets are mostly clean, main thing is that you aren't awkward, then it's a good way to save money and stay here!

Reviewed August 4, 2009

This was a cheap hostel near Perissa Beach in Santorini. The price is unbeatable and was suprising considering how touristy Santorini is. The only complaint i had was that the reception is closed at 10pm which means you cannot check in after this time. Ferrys are delayed all the time which means you have to find another place to stay in the middle of the night and your credit card is charged for the night. The rooms were big and had ensuite bathroom. The hostel also had plenty of organised tours of the island for guests which was nice. Overall a great place, just a shame about the lock out at night.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed in one of Youth Hostel Anna's private rooms. They have a dorm then down the road 200m is a hotel building with about 8 rooms with a pool next to it. We stayed in a three-person room for €30/night. Crazy! The room had three beds, one full size, two twins. My wife and I shared the big one and it was very uncomfortable. They did have AC but it only worked so-so.

The girls at the front desk were very helpful and informative. They told us how to get the bus and showed us the schedule posted on the main building and helped us book the half day trip to hike the volcano and swim in the hot springs. They also pick you up free at the port when your boat arrives. They parked it over with all the vans...was kind of multicolored.

The room had a fridge which was great. We could walk to the beach, walk to a grocery store that had great prices (€0.25 for a bottled water) and walk to a 24 hr bakery/cafe. Great stuff in there!

For non-college kids, I would only recommend staying in these private rooms. Beware that the beds are bad and you can hear all the motorbikes and stuff from your room even though it's set back slightly from the road (only one road through Perissa). The volcano hike was worth it, but does take a while and the 'swimming in hot springs' is really 'dump you in the ocean then you swim to the shore where the mud is orange and is slightly warm'. Still cool to do that.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wilwilwil
Reviewed April 15, 2006

I stayed here many times. I went to visit again because I heard from friends that it had been sold and renovated. I had to see for myself. I can tell you that it is a brand new place!!! NEW!! dorms, beds, pillows, sheets, doors, air conditioning/ heat,reception area. Everything is so clean. The dorms upstairs are beautiful with great bathrooms. Stay here!!! Kostas ( the new owner) is wonderful and will take good care of you. The prices are the same!

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed January 25, 2006

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Hostel Anna in June, 2005. We did not stay in the dorm, but rather in a seperate building where we had our own double bed in a private room which included a bathroom, balcony and use of a pool that was outside of the balcony. The upgrade to this seperate room was only 2Euro a night, completely worth it.

Our room was clean and even had a mini fridge and electric fan. The water in the washroom never seemed to heat up, but it was pretty hot out already, so it was okay. The total cost for us was 22Euro per night, the cheapest place by far we stayed at in Greece or Italy in 5 weeks, and we only stayed in budget hotels or hostels.

No real complaints. The only thing we found annoying was the guy at the front desk. He was pretty pushy with tourist packages, I'm sure he got some kind of kickback. We did go on an all-day trip, climbing up the volcano, swimming in the hotsprings, going to Oia for the sunset, etc. I wouldn't recommend it - we spent at least 1/2 of the day waiting around, it easily could have beem compressed into a 1/2 a day trip.

Overall, I would recommend this hostel, but definitely not the dorm section. When we walked past the dorm at night it was extremely noisy with a bunch of drunks screaming and partying. A section of the dorm was on the ground floor, and it looked pretty grimy. I used the dorm washroom once too, and it was totally gross.

4  Thank KathyK005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perissa
Katerina and John's Hotel
Kykladonisia Hotel and Hostel
Smaragdi Hotel
Smaragdi Hotel
#3 of 40 in Perissa

Been to Youth Hostel Anna? Share your experiences!