“Magnificent apartments”

Agnadema Apartments
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Travelling from Australia the four of us had the larger apartment. Magnificent views. Beautiful apartment. The 2 girls who worked at the reception were so very friendly & helpful. Very genuine & happy.
Our apartment was spotless & we had 2 bathrooms. One of the bathrooms was huge with large spa. When we arrived a porter was looking out for us to carry our bags as there are a lot of steps. He also took our bags when we left. Definitely worthy of a good tip.
Would definitely come back. A beautiful part of the world & an amazing place to stay. Loved it.
Thankyou to the wonderful people who work there that made our stay so special.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 20, 2013

As we arrived quite late at night we were glad that our suitcases were taken by porter to the Agnadema apartments, as the steps down to the apartments are 70+. We were greeted by the lovely Maria who informed us that our room would not be available until after 1pm the following day. Considering the holiday was booked in February and I had also emailed them to ensure we had the room I had requested, I was quite surprised but decided to go with the flow and see what would happen the following day. Maria told us not to worry that they would move our suitcases to our room while we were out, but we returned before lunchtime and discovered our room was to be the low level room below the swimming pool even though I had specified a high level room as it was for a special occasion, Maria said that it was the only room available - unfortunately there was absolutely no view from the room bar the wall outside! On the up side, both Maria and the other receptionist were very helpful and the rooms were kept spotless and breakfast was very nice as we could take the food to our room and enjoy it in peace. There are some fab restuarants in the area, Mama Thira's is worth a mention and good value for money as is Pirouni. All in all a memorable holiday for all sorts of reasons!!

Room Tip: Insist on a high level room - better view of the caldera and sunset
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had an amazing time at the Agnadema apartments when we stayed back in early May. This was in large part to do with Mary who was working the summer at Agnadema. She was absolutely amazing, she went above and beyond her duties and was just a really genuine, extremely nice person who did her job to perfection.
The check in process was simple and quick. Rooms were clean and came with plenty of towels and even robes which was a nice touch. The bed was comfortable and extra blankets were provided. And air con was included which was brilliant and worked a treat! Overall, room was spotlessly clean and a decent size. The view was absolutely amazing. You couldnt beat it, I would say it is one of the best views on the island, even over Oia and Fira. The cliffs and ocean are just wonderfully peaceful to wake up to every morning! The breakfast wasnt buffet style, but rather brought to you upon request, which was fine, after only 2 days they knew what our preferences were anyway, and there was always plenty to eat- cheese and ham toastie, toast with jam, cake, tea, coffee, fruit, cant ask for anything more really. However the overall lack of variety might not be for everyone.
The pool was a great size, unfortunatly it was mostly cloudy and cold the whole week we stayed there so we didnt get a chance to use the pool. The pool area was nice, great sunbeds and plenty of room, was never busy, but we did stay in May. The area the hotel is located in is really easy to navigate, not as many shops in Firastefani but that didnt bother us, it still had two supermarket type shops. Its a quick walk to Fira (maybe 15mins with breathtaking views). And there is a shop nearby where you can rent quad bikes for the ride to Oia or elsewhere, if you dont try a quad bike whilst in santorini you are missing out! And remember to avoid the cruel donkey ride cruetly trade!
We would most definitely return to Agnedema one day especially if Mary was there! She made our stay really special. And once again you just cant beat that view!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This place is great! What is best is the staff.
Some complain that the location is not good, but it is perfect if you want to be close enough, but have some peace and quite too. It is only about a 15 minute walk to the main town and a few minutes to several nice restaurants. The view is incredible and the sunsets amazing. The rooms are nicely decorated and did I mention the staff is super friendly? Hi Maria. It has limited rooms and they do place guests in different apartments based on availability. Each one is different, so you might end up with something a little different that the picture you saw online.
The breakfast is great and the staff will help you book or plan excursions for the day. It is on the caldera side, which means no beach, but you can easily take the local busses or rent a scooter to get around.
My only warning is you might consider a different location if you have trouble with stairs or have a physical condition. There are a lot of stairs to get down and up from here. That is not uncommon for Santorini as a whole, but if you are lugging a lot of luggage, children or other items, this might be a hassle for you. We took backpacks because we realized there were many stairs and it was a good thing. It made it easy to take the busses to/from the port and negotiate the stairs. We used daypacks for the daily commute and to haul things to the room. We also, enjoyed the walk to and from Fira at dinner time as it allowed us to enjoy the evenings and walk off our food and frozen Greek yogurt on the way home.
If you are looking for a comfortable, Greek island experience that is away form the crowds, but convenient with some short walks, this is the place for you.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charles B
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had a 3 night stay at Agnadema. I certainly feel that the place is good for people who don't mind climbing up and down a flight of stairs every single time you want an outing. The views are fantastic, you can certainly watch the sun go down, but the island of Thirassia blocks the view of horizon, so if you want to photograph the sun going down the horizon, this may not be the best stop, but if you want to take pics of the sun hitting the white washed houses this is perfect!

The two things that I did not quite like is that he standard room faces the "road" that generally people walk on to reach other hotels may be so we did not get too much privacy/quiet-time, we could hear everyone outside. The second floor rooms might be a better pick if you are on a honeymoon :)

The second thing, is that the breakfast served was the exact same thing everyday. Not that I minded, but a little variety will be nice.

Overall since it was close to the bus station and fira and oia were close by, we felt that the hotel held its "bang-for-the-buck"!

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are not at pool level or lower.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the above as I noticed lots of hotels/apartments in Santorini have only top reviews, yet you do not get much for the price you pay and the rooms seem to be very simple charging you astronomical fees purely for being located on the cliffs!!!!!!

Agnadema apartments are located some 15min/15 euros by taxi from the airport and being late September, I did not have any problems with finding a taxi outside the airport. I was a bit disappointed with how ‘cheap’ the island looked and as the driver dropped me in the little square in Firostefani, with my suitcase open for everyone to look into. I found this initial Greek ‘hospitality’ very upsetting, this being a lesson as to how expensive everything on this island can be and receiving very little in return!!!! But then I walked several metres to the top of the square overlooking the caldera with lots of tourists taking pictures and I thought to myself: ‘what the heck, I am finally in Santorini’. Could be a bit confusing as to how you will descend the famous 80 steps to the apartments but I found the stairs before Remvi restaurant to be leading to Agnadema whether I chose to take the left or right steps. There is also a path in front of the hotel that takes you all the way to Fira located some 15min away which is very romantic despite being packed in certain area with tourists taking pictures of everything. Or you could take the road from Remvi restaurant that later on will intersect this caldera path, or you can follow the cars on 25 March (Martiou) street that can be boring initially but later can pass in front of some amazing cake shops, painting shops etc which I found to be so much cheaper than the ones located in Fira.

The hotel itself is painted in gorgeous white and blue colours, with the reception serving as breakfast area too where you are brought tea or coffee with a boiled egg, a glass of juice and a toasted cheese and ham sandwich with a slice of cake - you can take this to eat in on your porch but you will have to bring it back! Above, there is the swimming pool which unfortunately was very cold so I did not dare to jump into. The hotel is further spread on 3 floors with several suites on the swimming pool floor and the top floor suites where my studio room was. I specifically booked this room as I wanted some privacy and quietness, yet my sleep was always disturbed by the walk of some woman in high heels from the next set of apartments going up and down the stairs. The studio was as in the pictures, with a gorgeous bathroom with toiletries, a small kitchenette with a fridge, kettle, cutlery and plates, a small ancient TV and the 4 poster bed. I was hoping the bed sheets to be as good quality as the whole presentation of the hotel and not to simply cover myself with the bed cover on top of the bed sheets, but I guess you cannot expect everything to be perfect.

Tips:
- there are 2 small overpriced supermarkets near Remvi restaurant if you fancy buying lots of ‘liquids’ to keep cool in the fridge
- the pebbled streets are so bad, you will see lots of people falling (myself included) despite having only some 2cm heels. Most of the people are in flip flops or trainers and I saw a group of old people going around with skiing ‘sticks’
- do not confuse Fira port (where the cable car used by people from cruise ships is) with the port used by ferries at Ormos Athinios to take you to different islands all the way to Athens. There are plenty of shops/restaurants here with ticket shops to collection your tickets if you have booked them online and I must say, despite finding the worst organised place here, the views are amazing. I travelled further using SeaJets, which are badly organised, but apparently BlueFerries are even worse, so do your research in advance. Plus they are always running late by up to one hour, check their arrival at Maritime Traffic website
- speak with the reception to book a taxi to this port at least one day in advance as there are under 50 taxis on the island and are not available in the last moment. Despite costing 20 euros from Firostefani to this port, my taxi had 2 other passengers who were charged the same amount by my taxi driver (taxi 17) - which in Naxos I have been told this is very illegal!!!!! But this is nothing compared to the astronomical prices you are charged only on this island for everything: a pair of flip flops with some 3cm heel cost you 29 euros!!!!!!
- not far from the cable car location (which is like down town spreading all way to Atlantis hotel) there is Megaro Ghyzi, the Archeological museum, Santo Zeum, the museum of prehistoric Thira - if you fancy checking some museums with entry between 3-5 euros but always check the opening times as even the guide books can give the wrong information
- despite coming across some very shrews taxi drivers, I must say, the staff in restaurants or ice cream parlours are simply brilliant. In one ice cream place, they even allowed me to go into their premises to wash my hands; in a restaurant they did not charge me as the place became packed 10min after I arrived to my deep frustration as I was hoping to be in a quiet place
- from Agnadema apartments you can look onto the hotels located some 50metres away onto the other side where weddings seem to be celebrated every day; so I guess you do not have to stay only in a certain hotel if you are a large party celebrating such an event. Although the noise can be heard very far: the most annoying though was the noise made by Chinese who seem to be so loud and form a huge percentage of tourists on this island: whether is wives screaming at husbands to take more pictures or girls taking pictures of themselves with every single camera available whilst dropping their cutlery every second during the breakfast on the porch of their apartment. People from all the neighbouring apartments had to run away from this as it became so annoying.

Despite being a bit disappointed with my studio flat, I would give the hotel a 4 star purely because of lovely Athanasia and Maria. Surely a great asset for Agnadema apartments!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TERRAvelista
Reviewed October 3, 2013

From the moment that we walked in, we sensed that we had made the right choice. We were welcomed with a beer by the friendly and helpful Maria who gave us a quick run down on the facilities and locality. We were then shown our lovely apartment by the pool which was spacious and spotlessly clean with the bed up on a mezzanine level. This left the ground floor with a little kitchen area and worktop which gave the option for preparing a salad lunch ( Santorini doesn't appear to do leaves). There was also a sitting area but we never bothered to use it when there was such a wonderful view over the caldera from our bedroom balcony.

Breakfasts were freshly prepared by the wonderful and hard working Flora and consisted of cereals, cheeses, meats, frittata, fruit and bread and croissants.

Overall, the apartments have a great location and are kept immaculately but it helps to be mobile as wherever you go on this side of the island it involves steps up and down. The girls, Sia, Maria and Flora were all really helpful and made our stay. Thanks again!

Room Tip: There is one room immediately off and below the pool area which is dark and which appeared to have n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family