Yes, undoubtedly a gorgeous place to stay - well located on the caldera walk, only a 30 second walk to Firostefani's main square (where the buses take you to Thira or Oia) and a 10-15 minute walk to Thira. I loved that it was not in the centre of noisy Thira yet still walking distance to it if you wanted to experience its busy bars, cafes, restaurants and shopping thoroughfares. On top of that the walk between Firostefani and Thira is amazing with plenty of photo opportunities to be had.
Our studio room was tastefully furnished, light, bright and airy and it shared a balcony with two other studio rooms, and from there we had breathtaking views of the sea and the caldera. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was spacious (although no shower curtain) and there was a kitchenette with fridge (stocked with water) and coffee and tea. Breakfast was served on our balcony and consisted of an omelette or fried eggs with a bread and pastry basket, spreads and conserves, a greek yoghurt and banana, orange juice and a hot drink. More than enough to start the day but for the standard of accommodation it was nothing gourmet.
We were on the ground level so didn't have to walk up and down the stairs, unless we were heading to reception or the pool area. The pool is tiny , but there is also a small pool bar with great views as well. Drink prices were as you'd expect in a chic place such as this. Special mention to the Serbian guy, Nenand I think his name is, who was really friendly and just a cool guy!
Our big gripe was with the owner/manager type who gave us the feeling we were being ripped off the whole time; telling us we could have the room for €130 per night and then when we said we'd pay by credit card that rate suddenly went up to €150 per night. Why do they have such an aversion to credit cards over there? Greece is in Europe after all, a developed country! Even if there were bank fees to accept credit card payment, they couldn't have been €20 per day!! Or could they? (And, we're not the kind of people to walk around with €260 in our pockets. We are a young couple living in Paris, not American CEOs with the cash to dole out money left, right and centre - the kind of moneyed tourist we saw a lot of over there). Then we wondered whether these takings weren't being declared, that's why they wanted cash payment only?
And then he tells us that the room was a last minute cancellation so that the room was already fully paid for! Obviously we couldn't expect the room for free but since the room was already paid for, a bit of flexibility with regard to credit card payment would have been nice. But the guy wouldn't budge and he seemed quite pleased that he was making double the profit which just turned us off the place even more...ugh.
Apparently it's quite common for hotels to demand cash payment upfront like this but we didn't like it one bit. I''ve lived in 3 different countries and travelled extensively and have never seen such a fear of credit cards!
Other than that, if you don't come across that guy with an air of 'used car salesman' you should have a nice time. Yes it's beautiful and the views are lovely but not overly luxurious for the price. Right next door you have the same views, albeit more simple (but clean) rooms but for less than half the price!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The endless Aegean sea... Deep blue flirting with pigments of rugged stone... The breathtaking Caldera, as in a picture from a famous postcard... At the bay of Firostefani, on the stately rock that bridges the sky with the sea, the whitewashed figure of Mill Houses Boutique Hotel & Suites in Santorini, looks like hovering over the mesmerizing cliff. With a unique view to the volcano of Santorini - the symbol of power of a sea that historically united cultures - our hospitable suites seem entangled in an indiscernible dialogue with the mythical elements of the island. Live an unforgettable experiece at our dreamlike Boutique Santorini Hotel & Suites in Firostefani. Honeymoon in Santorini ? Make it an experience of a lifetime. We can skillfully organize your Santorini wedding according to your needs and wishes. Our Santorini boutique hotel offer honeymoon suites with verandas overlooking the Volcano island. Honeymoon in Santorini with hundreds romantic getaways, a perfect beginning to your new life! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Mill Houses Elegant Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mill Houses Studios And Suites
- Mill Houses Studios Hotel Firostefani
- Mill Hotel Studios
- Mill Houses Elegant Suites Santorini/Firostefani