“Nice but fell below expectations”

Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
New York, NY
“Nice but fell below expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a 6 night vacation in the Greek Islands and out of the 3 hotels I booked, I was most excited about this hotel. I did a ton of research, and chose to stay here for 2 nights in the top apartment behind the blue gate with the large terrace. I must say, I was a bit underwhelmed. Yes - the view to the left (Firostefani/Thira) is quite nice and found many tourists climbing on our balcony to take pictures of our view. But the view to the right, is a building which blocks any view of the sunset. And the windows of other rooms are right on top of you, to a point that it didn't feel very private. The room itself was spacious and the bathroom had good, running hot water. The bed left something to be desired and the pillows were very lumpy, to the point where I used a sweatshirt to help prop it up. We did not try the breakfast, so no comment there, we instead went to the local market 5 minutes away and spent a few euros for fresh fruit and yogurt and ate on our terrace. It does not have a pool, but there is a small pool a good 25min walk away that you can use that has nice views and OK cocktails. The B&B is on the edge of Firostefani, in kind of peculiar area, not necessarily where I thought it would be based on the pictures online. There was a little parking area/trash area outside the walk way, and Thira about 20 minute walk (with lots of stairs). Based on the money and the other hotels we stayed at, I think you can find a better value on the island - with similar views, better location, and cheaper price. Santorini is beautiful, but I would not recommend a friend to this specific hotel nor in Firastefani.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at the blue dolphin for 3 nights with some friends, the room was beautiful & the location was great & the view was unbelievable. Dennis & Thomas where fantastic, they organized our transfers to & from the airport/port & they also helped us with reservations at restaurants. Thomas for a small fee took us on a private tour of the island, which was fantastic.(would recommend it to everyone to do, if your there for only a short stay). This was my 3rd trip to santorini & i would stay at the blue dolphin again

West New York, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was the first time I felt I had to inform people about it .
Excellent location , friendly and negotiable prices, homemade breakfast ....
If you also add the very warm welcome and assistance of the staff you have Blue Dolphins .
Alexis , Thomas and Dennis made sure that our stay woule be unforgettable .
They helped us solve lots of issues : rental car , transfer to the port , brief orientation , booking a table for my girlfirend's birthday were some of them .
Thank you all for this experience .
I will see you soon

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dio P
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I traveled with my partner in Santorini early in September 2012 and we stayed in "Blue Dolphins" traditional apartments in Firostefani for 7 days.
The hotel environment, decoration and facilities where fabulous!! We were impressed!
We stayed in a Honeymoon Jacuzzi Suite with a private Jacuzzi & a private balcony with an amazing view to the caldera, the volcano, the Aegean sea.
It was very clean and the room service was really helpful and friendly.
We enjoyed the delicious breakfast homemade cakes and jams, Greek yogurt and honey.
My last note is that the sunset view from Blue Dolphins is the most beautiful we have ever seen!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I booked this hotel from the comments on tripadvisor, I am so glad i did. We stayed here for 3 nights, but would definately stay here agin for longer.
We had organised transfers to the hotel and were greeted by Alexis and Tomas, who are very helpful during our stay at the Blue Dolphin. This hotel offers beautiful views to the Caldera from the bedroom balcony and also when you have breakfast in the morning. We were upgraded to a jacuzzi room as we were 4 ppl, the aprtment was big with 1 room and the other was in the living room near the balcony. The hotel was just a 5 min walk to Fira the main area, where there are many restaurants and coffee places to choose from. We had a short time in Santorini and so we organised a tour with Tomas from the hotel and he took us all around the main places in Santorini. We saw the the Red beach, the Monestary, stopped off at a few beaches, Ioa, small villages and to top of the wonderful tour we had lunch at "Sea side" a beautiful restaurant (incl in the tour), the food was top chef quality and of course the cocktails just made it more perfect, i would recommend this tour as it will give you an insight to the island and you can always go back by yourself if you liked a particular place.
Thankyou Alexis and Tomas for a great stay at Blue Dolphin and would definately recommend it

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Breathtaking views of the ocean and the rest of the island right from our balcony. The hotel location is ideal, central and close to everything. We used to walk to restaurants, bars, around that part of the island, mostly in alleyways that offer stunning ocean views. The hotel itself is clean, relaxed, quiet and welcoming. From the bed that faces the window I could sit and watch the ocean. One night after dinner we just came back to the hotel, put some music on and watched the full moon, the dark vast ocean and the lights of the island, it is one of the most memorable scenes that I always carry with me. I went there with a friend, but this place is very romantic for a couple.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The internet was a bit weak in certain areas, I often had to go outside to get a good signal, also for a disabled or elderly person, it might be a bit challenging to go up and down the stairs to the rooms and/or restaurant. With that said, I would still recommend this hotel and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: I am told that there are "cave rooms" right by the water, unfortunately they were not avai...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Extremely friendly and informal setting, yet highly professional and discreet service. Staying here felt somehow like being a guest at a friend's house with every detail having been considered for our comfort. Excellent value for the rates, location and perspective of the 'volcano view' is more interesting and impressive than many other hotels i ve visited and all rooms (I had a look around many of them as our group of friends occupied quite a few at the same time) were all finished to a very tasteful decor detail but also important appliances etc.
Alexis and his team seemed very knowledgeable in terms of what to do/see/eat/visit in the entire island, had connections with a large number of people in santorini and were very keen to help with itinery ideas/restaurant bookings etc. Do make use of their friendly and professional 360degree service. I have travelled Greece -my home country- very very thoroughly and these are not available in the vast majority of places.

Room Tip: i suggest you book early and discuss your needs/tastes with Alexis and his colleagues who will proba...
1 Thank Nikolas K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel
Astra Suites
#4 of 48 in Imerovigli
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,336 reviews
Evgenia Villas & Suites

Been to Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments? Share your experiences!