We were very pleased that we chose to stay in Firostefani on this our second time in Santorini and particularly pleased that Tripadvisor led us to the Villa Ilias, which was charming - we very much enjoyed the home-made breakfasts which we shared with other guests outside on the terrace - beautiful cheese and spinach pies (made by Marina(?) and good coffee. George and his team were wonderful, our hats off to the two ladies who cleaned and Mary who gave us lots of info and kindly hung our washing on their line as our room did not have a small line for us; plus Persefoni (whose English was very good and she made a wonderful desert for the drinks and nibbles held twice a week).
The views at Villa Ilias were wonderful, everything was very clean and well-kept and we so appreciated coming back to our room after the ladies had been in and worked their magic. We also enjoyed the pool, although small it was very inviting and the views were to die for.
We did lots of walking - lovely lanes and paths down from Firostefani to Fira with great restaurants and cafes, little stores etc - our favourite restaurants in Firostefani were Vanilia (several visits and all good) and the wonderful Actaion. Good walk up to Imorovigli took about 20 mins, very beautiful views and accommodation, plus a bus trip to Oia (which was very busy that day as the cruise boats were in!). Spent a day at the beach in Perissa and enjoyed the all inclusive coffee, water and free loungers if we bought the drinks which we intended to do anyway. The sea was crystal clear and great for swimming.
Only suggestion we would make if staying at Villa Ilias, book early. We booked in February for our stay at the beginning of June and could not get a Superior or Executive room as they were already booked. We opted for the side view Standard room which gave superb views from the large windows (which opened right out) but we did not have a balcony and really missed this. The room was nicely decorated with good curtains and bedding - "small but beautifully formed" - Room No 3.
Recommend the Catamaran Sunset Cruise - very well done - nice people, great captain and crew, the food was very goodwith local Santorini wine, beer, etc included. Left at 3pm and got back to Oia about 9pm - even the music as the sun set was just right - I'm sure everyone was very happy with what was offered.
Had a great stay at Villa Ilias, would highly recommend, and sad to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Damigos family has been a part of Santorini history for over a century. Villa Ilias is the former residence of one of our ancestors, George Ilias Damigos. It is built on this specific location to capture breathtaking views that are unique only to Villa Ilias and perched 1,000 feet above the Aegean Sea and the most famous volcano in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Ilias Hotel Firostefani
- Ilias Hotel Firostefani
- Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel Santorini/Firostefani