“Old and terrible service”

Kafieris Apartments On The Cliff
london
“Old and terrible service”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I stayed at Kafieris for four days in Oct 2008. It would have been decent value for 50 euros but given the terrible service and rude behavior of the hotel owner (Ioannis) and hotel manager (Nadia), I would not recommend this hotel to family nor friends.

The hotel advertises one free transfer either to or from the airport. I had arranged via email with the hotel owner to have a pick-up which was met with a very quick reply saying it was no problem. Another hotel guest (who arrived on a separate day) also faced the same situation and like me, was left stranded at the airport. After waiting for 30 min with no pick-up and no notice, I took a taxi to the hotel and met with a shrug from the hotel manager. She said it was the "van's fault."

Other rude awakenings:

1. Being scolded for showing up to breakfast 10 min before closing (even though Nadia had previously stipulated that we could show-up up until 10am). The guy who showed up at 10:01 got scolded and left with no breakfast.

2. Being refused a second towel and getting scolded by the hotel manager for asking - "one person, one towel, " she said (with hand gestures to go along with the emphasis).

3. Being told on the day that I was leaving that I could only pay with cash. (Even though I had guaranteed to pay with visa).

4. Being told on the day that I was leaving that I would have to go to the airport 4 hours early because that was the only time they alloted for a drop-off at the airport.

I found that, in general, Santorini is not known for being the most hospitable city however the staff at Kafieris would rank at the top for being the rudest during my visit.

• Liked — quiet surroundings
  • Disliked — the rude hotel manager (Nadia) and owner (Ioannis)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank oia888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2008

I booked a reservation with Margarita Hotel (a cheaper property) which is owned by the same man but was delivered to this hotel by the airport shuttle because the Margarita Hotel was full for the weekend. (Incidentally, I had no problems with transportation to or from the airport being provided in a timely manner; transportation from the airport is free, transportation to the airport is 5 Euro). I was brushed off by the owner and told that I would move to the Margarita after the 1st 2 nights of my stay. After I recovered a bit from 18 hours of travel, I told Nadia who manages the hotel that it would be very inconvenient to move but she just shrugged.

The next morning I left a housekeeping tip, as is my custom, and by the end of the day Nadia told me that she arranged for me to stay at the Kafieris Apartments for the price that I had booked at the Margarita. She was very kind to me for the duration of my stay but be aware that she speaks very little English.

The room was clean but furnishings, linens are very old. The room phone didn't work (Nadia's lack of English was a real problem when I was trying to resolve this problem). The hotel is a decent value for 50 Euro, which a previous poster said she paid. Nadia told me that the room rate was 80 Euro, which would be an outrageous price to pay for these accommodations.

I was surprised to see that another review stated that this hotel is a 5 minute walk to Fira. It is a 15 minute walk to the commercial section of Fira, which is where you get dinner because there are essentially no restaurants in Firostefani.

Depending on what you're looking for in a hotel, this could suite your needs .... but not if you're going to be charged 80 Euro!

• Liked — Personal patio and airport transportation
  • Disliked — Hassle with owner and check-in and language difficulties
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank FiveforTee
Washington DC
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I paid $50Euros a night in April. My room (#9) had the most exquisite view but the rooftop views were gorgeous too. I got exactly what I paid for.....a room, a bathroom and free breakfast. It was perfectly adequate and the staff is very nice. For you single ladies traveling along, I was fine.

The hotel is only a five minute walk to Fira the captial. Granted the climb back is steep but hardly a climb.

Enjoy!

• Liked — Location, view and staff.
  • Disliked — Bedding was a little sparse.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank HollyWItt
Hampshire, England
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Our apartment for a family of four comprised a room with two 4ft wide beds and a poorly equipped kitchenette with cupboards that either wouldn't stay shut, or had mould inside that made the kitchen smell very unpleasant. The air-conditioning left puddles on the floor and I found myself waking up with a very stuffed up nose when it had been on all night. We were promised free transfers to and from the port, but did not realise that it had to be timed to their convenience rather than ours. We were delivered to the port two hours earlier than we needed to be there, there was no choice about that. The welcome was more military than cheery. The roof top Jacuzzi was very cold and didn't work. During our stay, it was so windy up on the roof that furniture got blown around and hardly anyone used it. Fair to say the view is really wonderful, you can see the blue-domed church and bell tower that you see on so many postcards, but it is the most blustery peak. Having stayed at 6 different accommodations during our island hopping holiday, we reckoned that this was the worst value accommodation. Wish we'd done Santorini on a day trip especially as Acrotiri is currently closed!

• Liked — Wonderful roof top view
  • Disliked — Steep climb from the town and gets more windy as you go up
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your own kettle!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank aravisthecat

Travelers are raving about these Firostefani hotels

London
Reviewed July 18, 2006

N.Kafieris apartments have a fantastic view across the whole island and especially the volcano crater. Nice walk down the hill into Fira and some great local restaurants to watch the sunset from.

Our room on the roof was the smallest double we have ever experienced - 2.5m x 4m x 2.1 high. No new towels for a week, poor state of cleanliness.

The hotel appers to be run by one lady. She does the breakfasts, runs reception, then cleans the hotel and the rooms. Too much for one person and it shows in her rather abrupt manner.

Poor level of maintenance in hotel generally.

Breakfast given out on a tray from under the stairs sounds odd but was ok.

Stayed June 2006
10 Thank Gel36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel
Belvedere Santorini
#9 of 21 in Firostefani
Antonia Hotel Santorini
Anteliz Suites Santorini

Been to Kafieris Apartments On The Cliff? Share your experiences!