“'Junior suite' was simply an en-suite room and we ended up in a different 'sister' hotel!”
Review of Sun Rocks Hotel

Sun Rocks Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
UK
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'll start with the positives as it is my intention to be as balanced as possible (but the important part and warnings for those thinking of booking is later on...). It is also important to note that this is no reflection on the staff.

- This place is beautiful (but then with that view, a mud hut would be fine so don't read too much into that).
- The staff were generally very pleasant, especially Vania.
- Sun Rocks is a very cool hotel, we loved the design and with the exception of our room, the pictures do it justice.
- As with most hotels in Fira, they are built on the cliffs which means the views are breathtaking however the downside is that the rooms are crammed in - don't expect any privacy on your verranda, even in a top suite.

The negatives:-

Well, we had read the tripadvisor reviews before booking our 'Junior Suite' so were a little concerned that there might be some funny business around our booking.

Sure enough, on checking in, we were told that after our first night at Sun Rocks, they were moving us for our last three nights to Chromata in the next village 'Imerovgli' (please do see my other review as it was top notch). Their reason, fewer steps at the other hotel (my wife is pregnant) and a nicer room (which wasn't hard - we'll come to that). Well we never complained about the steps as we are both young and fit, but in any event, whilst there might be fewer steps, they seemed to ignore the extra 10 minutes walk into town (Fira) which is uphill coming back from dinner?

Quite simply, they were over booked (as they confirmed when we checked out to move hotels), Sun Rocks has the best reputation historically, gets all the bookings and then they pick people to move to one of their 'sister' hotels. Some people on here seemed to have got Andromeda, we got Chromata.

Anyway we settled into our Junior Suite for our one and only night. Having checked there were no secret doors, I had to go and check with the manager that we did actually have the Junior Suite we had paid 280 euros per night for. Red faced, he explained that this was their 'smallest junior suite' to which I explained that it couldn't possibly be any smaller! It was one room, with a coffee table and two chairs right at the end of the bed, with the sink next to it which was then separated from the shower and toilet by a glass door. There was a shared balcony and we had no view at all as we looked sideways. It was a bog standard room (en-suite), and a small one at that.

I recited the text from their website "Deluxe living rooms... opening up onto verandas overlooking the magnificent Caldera, adjoin elegantly decorated bedrooms." Incredibly the manager stood his ground - if they say it is a 'suite' then it is. Pathetic.

So anyway, we spent the next day packing up, checking out, moving hotels, waiting for our room to be ready and settling in to a new hotel.

That to me is entirely unacceptable from a super expensive 'luxury' and boutique hotel. Shameful. You wasted at least a half day of our holiday (made worse by that fact that they checked us out before our room was ready at the next hotel).

What they are doing is the most expensive 'allocate on arrival' in the history of tourism and it is not acceptable behaviour.

What would have been more acceptable is if they had moved us for all 4 nights to Chromata, but this obviously didn't fit in with their bookings.

All in all Chromata was a better hotel, more spacious, much more privacy on your balcony with the only drawback to us seeming to be a slightly more cramped poolside area. So they did us a favour, but the upheval after 1 day is not what you want on a relaxing holiday.

This review will be making its way to the SLH group. Not sure if it will do any good, but it is clear from other reviews on here that Sun Rocks (possibly the whole hotel group) are making a habit of this which to me is entirely unacceptable and tarnishes the SLH brand.

As a final point, it was worth the money on the half price deal, but anyone paying full price to stay hear needs help (or has money to burn in which case fine). To justify full price and be genuinely 'luxurious' it would need to have half the number of rooms to give more privacy.

Room Tip: Be warned about the Junior Suite deal! I think they kept our room there purely for the 50% deal.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank MeinenPeter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Greek first
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I visited Santorini on our honeymoon back in July. Because we booked early (back in February) we scored a pretty great deal on the honeymoon suite and Sun Rocks. (By great deal I still mean 300 euros a night, but it was our honeymoon so we splurged. I think it was a good deal for 300 but i can't imagine paying the 1500 euros a night that is full price-- definitely not worth that price!) When we got there the hotel picks you up at the airport and whisks you away to a Mediterranean paradise. They great you with lemonade and bring your bags down the many (MANY! seriously, you should try to do some endurance conditioning before visiting) steps. The first night Pagos showed us to our room, letting us know that we had been "upgraded" to the Experience Suite. It was a lovely room with an ocean view and a jacuzzi in the room, however it was right outside the restaurant and honestly the jacuzzi was right next to the bed like a hole in the middle of the floor and it felt a little dangerous. Also after checking online, it seemed that we had been downgraded because the honeymoon suite is more expensive than the experience suite. After pressing the management for a bit we realized that they had overbooked and given the honeymoon suite to the people paying full price (not the early bird special). Grumbling, they let us know that the honeymoon suite would be available tomorrow and they came by to move our bag early in the morning. The honeymoon suite was FANTASTIC-- intimate, clean, beautiful, great views and the rest of our week was amazing.

Things we loved-- the free breakfast is TO DIE FOR. Seriously, delicious and huge. You can't believe it's free. And for 5 extra euros they will bring it all to your room so you can eat on your verandah.

Also, employee Matt was our greatest resource in Santorini. He was our waiter the first night and then we kept running into him (it's a very small hotel) in the next few days. Matt gave us the inside scoop on all of the restaurants that the locals go to, the fun things to do, and the ways to do them cheaply. If you go, ask Matt to show you the way to the restaurant called Metaximas-- best meal we've ever had.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you ask for!! Beware of the experience suite!
Munich
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Sun Rocks is the perfect hideaway for couples of all ages. The rooms are wonderful, the people are very guest friendly, you even get a mobile phone free of charge to contact the hotel for table reservations or recommendations wherever you are on the island! Besides that, the view is just spectacular!
We will definitely come back!

beirut
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked the hotel expecting a unique experience. I had no problem paying a lot for three amazing nights.
Unfortunately, my overall stay was a very bad experience, starting from the quality of the hotel which did not match in any way the pictures and promise( our room was the experience suite. Only a small detail was omitted, the large column obstructing the view). The hotel does not qualify as a 4-5 stars, and I would rate it as 2+ stars.
The most shocking part for me was the price I paid: 930 euros per night. This rate was the highest rate on the island. I also discovered that all my friends who had booked through other means than booking.com got rates of 250-360 euros per night for the honeymoon suite! When I complained about the rate the staff offered to upgrade me to the honeymoon suite on the last night. I refused as I felt that this does not in any way or form compensate for the magnitude of the problem.

My vacation was ruined by one of the lousiest hotel operators that I have encountered in over 20 years of worldwide travel. I ended up paying outrageous rates for the quality served. Not to mention 5 stories worth of stairs to get from my room to the reception, no Internet connection in my 'suite', tiny old shower, a dirty jacuzzi, no 24 hours room service, a hotel pool that is simply a glorified bathtub, an old unhooked music system, a 19 inch tv with only local scrambled channels, and the list goes on...

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would warn anyone from paying what I paid for a mere 2 star experience.

Room Tip: experience suite does not have a balcony unlike what the hotel states there is no internet connecti...
9 Thank tarek d
Gorakhpur, India
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Santorini was the first destination of our honeymoon trip. We had a long flight with multiple transits from new Delhi but as we entered sun rocks, all the exhaustion just melted away. The view from the hotel is breathtaking. We were greeted with a delicious welcome drink and the check in was extremely prompt. The manager is one of the friendliest persons I have ever met. They offered us a complimentary upgrade to a bigger suite. The Food was fantastic as well. Thanks to sun rocks for making our stay special.

Room Tip: View from every room is fantastic.
uk
Reviewed August 20, 2012

ok... we arrived to be told they had overbooked (hummmm) but if we moved to another hotel (andromeda suites) for the night we would get upgraded from our paid junior suite to a superior, i asked to see what was on offer and decided it was worth it, even though we were boiling and tired!! so we moved to andromeda which was gorgeous and infact THEIR junior suite was not only WAY nicer but 150 euro cheaper!!!!! the next day we moved to our upgraded superior and it was nice to have the private cold jacussi and double lounger meant we had no bum fight for the very limited pool loungers..the superior room was nice if wed had the junior we would have hated it, very unprivate and everytime we walked past the neighbour was smoking so it would have wafted in!!! VERY glad we moved...a small public table shared balcony and 100% less nice than its "equal" at andromeda golds so note that!!! anyhoo our superior suite was good, good shower but very slippery surface in shower so be warned..GREAT view..good room cleaning and relatively prompt room service, yummy breakfasts worth the 5 euro to eat on our patio. the steps are a killer!!!! now the bad...on our penultimate day there was a proposal planned , for 2 hrs we had banging and crashing, 5 people walking past us every 2 mins and the whole place stopped, we waited ages for lunch, then ages for plates to be cleared away, then we felt we had to eat at the restaurant on our last night and then retreat back into our room after as the place had been taken over next to us with lanterns and even the lanterns were put on our bit which was cheeky and we felt "invasive" ANNOYING to say the least as we had wanted our own romantic last night eating and then snuggling on our patio and felt pushed out. NOT happy. then on the sunday a REVOLTING smell permeated our room, nobody seemed bothered but we were leaving so.....dont eat at sunset in amoudi we were recommend there by the manager it was horrendous, go to la masion....(check out the awful reviews of sunset taverna on here!!! wish we had!) hire a boat from explorer 1 and check out sights on your own, avoid the catamarans like the plague especially sunset ones they lie to you about how many people are on and cram over 50!!!! all in all a good stay though. fabulous sunsets. oh the massages are in oia (it is NOT 20 min away it takes AT LEAST 45 mins) which is insane, the rds are a nightmare to oia!!!! they need a masseur at the hotel!!! pick up icecream just down the rd, yummy chocolate flavour, good idea to pick up the icecream en route back down the steps :)

Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

First time to Santorini, did a lot of research on the hotels, and finally decided to stay here about a week prior to arrival. We booked the only room that was available, Junior Suite, that was on special. I coudnt find any pictures for the junior suite but since it was a very last mnute and it was on special so based on other rooms' pictures we decided to stay here.

We arrived very early in the morning at 7 am after flying so many hours transiting in London and Athens, so the room wasnt ready since the property only had several rooms and the people had not checked out yet. But the front desk guy, George, was very nice and helpful and really tried to make us feel welcomed. I was able to use the pool shower to freshen up and they served us full breakafst on the pool on that very morning, that was nice.

In the middle of the day we came back to the hotel and finally checked in. The Junior Suite was an ok size but it was a cave house (we wanted to stay in a cave house instead of regular hotel rooms) so it was definitely not your regular hotel room, it was "cavey". We actually liked it, it was different. As we entered the room thlrugh the wooden door with windows and key, the first floor was a quite spacious living/dining room with refrigerator, radio, and tv, and we were welcomed with a bottle of wine and fruit. Then you go down few steps, it leads you to the bedroom which didnt have an A/C, it was only in the living room. So at nightime since it was a summer, it wasnt cold enough but not to the point where we couldnt sleep either, and there was only one window in the bedroom which you coudnt really open since it was facing the stairways where people go up and they could look directly to our room. The bedroom was quite small but the bed was comfortable with a cave arch behind you.

Bathroom was on the small side but quite clean. The only thing is that the shower runs out of warm water preety quickly probaly after 10 mns max, and the water always floods out through the crack of the door, poor design. I wasnt too fancy of the bathroom gel either where you used a bottle pump to share with others, thankfully they also provided the individual new ones when you request it.

We had a private balcony infront of our room with a daybed that we use to get lazy throughout the day or night overlooking the caldera. There was a large balcony on the left side from a different hotel that kinda blocked our left view, so our view was straight to the caldera and to the right also overlooking Imerovigli. Firostefani or the hotel was located on the inside part of the island, so you cant see Thira from the hotel.

We loved the breakfast that was served daily from 8 am. I think it was preety standard in Santorini to serve breakfast that "late" but it was perfect for us. You could though request breakfast early in advance and will be brought out to your room. 5 euro service charge will be charged for breakfast in your room/balcony. Every morning we loved going down to the pool deck for breakfast, it was delicious. Breakfast was served from the menu, they offered set breakfast as well as ala carte, egg dishes, sausage and bacon, greek salad and yogurt, meat pies, gourmet tea and coffee, greek coffee :) This may sound silly but they had a very good fresh OJ and tomatoes in Greece tastes very good. I always enjoyed the basket of warm pastries and toast sefved with homemade marmalade, chocolate spread, and greek honey. I miss it!

Elias always served us every morning for breakfast, very nice and helpful. In fact all the staff there as well as the GM were all very warm, nice and helpful. They may not be the fastest, I suspect it was their culture-more on the laidback side, but they were all very nice.

Location wise, it is in Firostefani. 5-10 min walk to Thira border but it took us about 20 mins to actually walk downhill to the center of Thira town, a very beautiful scenic walk. Firostefani is a small quiet romantic town with charming shops, bars, cafes, and restaurants. Mama Thira restaurant was our favorite in Firostefani, they had a very good souvlaki :) Oia was about 15-20 min bus ride.

The view from this hotel as well as the whole island was breathtaking, pictures wont do any justice. We really enjoyed our 4 nights in Santorini, every single momentof it. It was beautiful, relaxing, romantic, and definitely one of a kind. Cant wait to return to Santorini, but would probably try to stay at a different hotel or even town, and probably rent a small car or buggy the next time we return to get around the island. But overall it was wonderful!

Room Tip: The hotel is built on a cliff with many many stairs, so it is probably not handicapped accesible. Pa...
1 Thank mluv2travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Katikies Hotel
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Cavo Bianco
Cavo Bianco
#5 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Sun Rocks Hotel? Share your experiences!