“Deep cliffs seen from heaven”

Dana Villas Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
barcelona
“Deep cliffs seen from heaven”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to Greece on a 3 week holiday last November, visiting Athens, Meteora and Santorini. During my stay I completely disconnected from the Internet, mobile phone, etc, which was a real pleasure. The only thing is that at times it was hard not to send news to my friends about the amazing wonderful travelling experience I was enjoying in Greece. Finally, when I arrived in Santorini the beauty of this magic island and the unbelievable high standards of the Dana Villas hotel where I stayed were so extraordinary that I just couldn't resist it anymore and had to write emails to my friends to tell them about it! Santorini and the Dana Villas were one of my very top experiences in 25 years of travelling as a professional tour manager in Europe and other continents.This is what I wrote:
Dear friends: I just wanted to let you know I am enjoying Greece so much that I just feel I don't want to go back home! The cultural interest of this country, its beauty, the personality of the Greek people and the impecable service I am meeting at restaurants, hotels, etc, are about the very best in Europe. I arrived fine to the Dana Vilas hotel in Santorini today. Please check this hotel on the internet and, if you can, do stay in it sometime. I am overwhelmed with the view from my room: it is perched on the volcanic circular bay, the Caldera. I think this is one of the most beautiful sights I,ve enjoyed in my life. Actually, this is being a bit too much after Meteora. I was sure I couldn't possibly expect more beauty or more marvels after that... but Santorini has blown up my mind right on arrival.: it offers about the most spectacular landscape I've ever seen, and certainly the Dana Villas is one of the top 10 hotels I have ever stayed at..
The hotel is really extraordinary, defenitely one of the 10 best ones I,ve ever been to, and you know I,ve been to many! The Dana Villas is a place to be highly recommended. Its location is about THE best in Santorini, with all rooms overlooking the spectacular volcanic Caldera. The rooms are like independent apartments hanging on the sea, with private terraces to enjoy the breathtaking sunrises and sunsets. And they are all beautifully designed and decorated in perfect good taste. All the details, the furniture, etc, aswell as the maintenance, are just perfect. It is comfortable as heaven, and of course spotless clean (everything looks like painted last week!) On the other hand, the welcoming, check-in, airport transfer, luggage assistance, etc were of such fine standards I was absolutelly impressed. Also, I was very lucky because I had booked a studio, bigger than a standard room, just wanting to be sure I got enough space...but the hotel staff, having the availability, was kind enough as to upgrade me to an incredible mini suite, which is actually bigger than my place in Barcelona! And not only big, but beautiful, cosy, comfortable, perfectly equiped, perfect temperature, nothing didn't work... it is simply luxurious comfortable rustic-Mediterranean! And apart from the incredible terrace with table, chairs, two sun-beds...the huge leaving-room, a charming fully equiped kitchen, a huge bathroom, an also huge bed-room and 20 closets all over the place... I have an extra bath room with a gigantic jakuzzi for like 4 or 5 people!!!
Finally, the Dana is private and relaxing, but at the same time within walking distance from Fira and Imerovigli villages, with their shops, restaurants and wonderful atmosphere. It is also possible to enjoy room-service with delicious Greek food from the local restaurants, at ridiculous prices!
I am just so delighted I chose the Dana Villas for my stay in Santorini. I feel in a complete state of happyness. Santorini is a natural jewell, and this hotel is just like heaven!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mariajoms
Panagiotis_Salapatas, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Dana Villas Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2017
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at Dana Villas. It is always an honor for us when our guests choosing our hotel for their weddings and Honeymoons! We wish to thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor members.

Glad you enjoyed our indeed fortuned location. I truly enjoyed your detailed comments about this treasure! So beautiful your comments about our rooms as well. Indeed they look "like independent apartments hanging on the sea." Is the biggets natural caldera in the whole world. I am pleased to hear that our staff were able to assist you and thank you for your kind words we will share it with our team as it is a great reward for their continuous hard work. Thank you so much for your amazing recommendations!

We have made several changes since the time you visit us and we are sure that you will love them. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us for a future visit.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Dana Villas is a beautiful place to stay in Santorini. It is located in Firostefani which is mid way between Fira and Oia making it the perfect place to stay to explore the island.
There are a lot of hotels at Firostefani & some prettier ones at Oia, but at the end of it we were still pleased with our choice.
The good:
1. lovely location
2. beautiful view--esp the rooms that accomodate 4 people
3. very helpful and cordial staff (they lugged our luggage up and down the stairs!!)
4. lovely little restaurant with a killer view of the sea
5. Very spacious suite (ours had a tiny living room that had two couches that could be used as beds, a bedroom with attached bathroom that had a jacuzzi, a common bathroom, a tiny kitchen well equipped with crockery, stove! The best part of the house--the balcony with a breathtakingly beautiful view. We got the most beautiful sunset views each day. the balcony had sundeck chairs as well as a nice little table with chairs perfect for eating in!!

The bad:
Not enough hot water--they have an ancient geyser system (water heater) that only heats up water that it can fill so it hardly is enough for one person. Filling the jacuzzi with hot water was very painful as the jacuzzi was super big and the water just wasn't hot enough.

Room Tip: Our room/villa number was 129, it was just below the reception area
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 26, 2012

It is set down the side of the cliff. Initially walking down, I wondered if I was heading in the right direction, but there are signs to show you the way just when you think you're lost (hint look at the floor as well as the walls). You can call someone to help you with your luggage, but if you don't have a phone it is ok to walk (walking up with luggage is a whole different ball game). About one third of the way down, someone did ask me if he could help me with my luggage, not sure which hotel he worked for (there are 2 or 3 down the same path, I didn't ask as I was ok to walk).
The staff are mega friendly (including the cat). When I arrived, the lady who worked at the kitchen gave me a welcome hamper with a small bottle of wine and fruit. I was totally not expecting it and I love it when they just go the extra mile for you.
I had a traditional room on the lowest level which was great for the view and peace and quiet. A bit of a walk back up, I had to rest at the reception each trip (great for working out the glutes tho! If you exercise regularly I don't think it will be a problem for you). When I left, a young man helped me with my luggage back up to the taxi waiting on the main road. He made it look like a walk in the park and he said my luggage was light at 14kgs.
There is a small food store just 2 mins down the path from the main walking pathway, Fira bus station is a 15 minute brisk walk .Found a nice spot just between Fira and Firostefani to watch the sunset, much better than watching it from Oia. The hotel is also a very nice spot, also much better than Oia. I was told by a few locals that Firostefani is the best place to watch the sunset but the area has been monopolised by hotels so there isn't really a spot you can just hang out at unless you stay at the hotel or drink/eat at the hotel restaurant (really expensive!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Panagiotis_Salapatas, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Dana Villas Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2017
Dear Alicia,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at Dana Villas. Your review really means a lot to us and thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor members that wish to visit Dana Villas in the future.

It is very nice to hear all those kind comments for our facilities and views. Our staff works hard and enjoy what they do so it is really nice to see them get recognized. Happy to read that our suggestions meet your expectations. Indeed we offer many services and our staff can make several recommendations about things to do, places to go, restaurants, etc. Glad to know that you liked your room and you enjoyed our stairs as well.

We look forward to welcoming you again in Dana Villas and as it feels like soon and thank you for all your recommendations!
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Yes, the stairs are a constant issue. Get over it. This hotel offers a luxurious stay with a killer view.
We didn't eat dinner there but lunch was good and the breakfast spread they put out is spectacular. The poolside drinks are pricey but it was a fun drink menu that kept you going back for more.
The rooms are cool, actually built into the mountain. AC unit was a little erratic but served it's purpose. It was also one of the most comfy bed we had on our trip.
The pool is perfect and the pool view can't be described in words.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael S
Dear Michael,

Thank you for this outstanding review.
I am very glad to read you had such a positive experience.

We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in Dana Villas and you chose us for your honeymoon. Happy to hear you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and the service provided by our staff. We will share your positive comments to our teams. This is a great reward for us. Thank you for understanding that the stairs comes with the cliff, it is very nice to read that.

We are proud to hear that you will recommend us to other travelers and we are looking forward to welcome you back when you are coming to Santorini. We have made several changes since the time you visit us and we are sure that you will love them. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

When my husband and I first arrived at the Villa we were stunned by how beautiful the view was and how friendly and helpful Panos was. The staff were great, friendly and helpful. We had a honeymoon suite that was amazing and spacious. We can't say enough about this place and how beautiful our wedding was thanks to Panos and all who were involved in making my day magical. We will be returning soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KMONEGRO
Dear Guests,

Thank you for the extremely amazing review. It is always an honor for us when guests depart our hotel with only the best of memories in their hearts and we wish to thank you for your recommendations with Tripadvisor members.

We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in Dana Villas and you chose us for your Wedding. We will share your positive comments to our teams. This is a great reward for us.

With Kind Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room and view almost made me never want to leave the room and patio area. It was so wonderful, and peaceful. The staff were always so friendly and helpful.

It is really close to Fira, the larger town. There are lots of stairs so if that is an issue beware (but all of Santorini is like that).

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank TMyers26
Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us through tripadvisor and for writing this wonderful review!

It is very nice to hear that you loved your room and our wonderful location as well as your Greek breakfast. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, this is much appreciated and a great reward for all of us.

We look forward welcoming you again in the near future!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We found the villa for our family of 4 to be very clean and suitable for our needs. The views from the patio were amazing. Reception was very helpful in organizing private tours for us, recommending local restaurants and ordering taxis. Breakfast was made fresh every day. Walk down to Fira town was only 10-15 minutes (lots of stairs!). My kids enjoyed the jacuzzi and feeding the cats.

Room Tip: we stayed closer to reception which was quiet compared to the villas enroute to the pool & break...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank murgatr
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your amazing review of your stay at Dana Villas. It is always an honor for us when guests choosing our hotel for their most important day of their lives we wish to thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor members that wish to visit Dana Villas in the future.

It is good to hear you loved your room and our amazing and fortunate location close to the city center. Thank you for pointing the cleanness of your room, it is very important for us to keep the place spotless. We love when our guests enjoy their breakfast. Happy to read that our suggestions meet your expectations. Indeed we offer many services and our staff can make several recommendations about things to do, places to go, restaurants, etc. and thank you for your nice comments about our team!

With Kind Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
#4 of 79 in Fira
Sun Rocks Hotel
Sun Rocks Hotel
#8 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to Dana Villas Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!