“Amazing!! Actually like in the photos on the website.”

Dana Villas Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Firostefani
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Amazing!! Actually like in the photos on the website.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

It is set down the side of the cliff. Initially walking down, I wondered if I was heading in the right direction, but there are signs to show you the way just when you think you're lost (hint look at the floor as well as the walls). You can call someone to help you with your luggage, but if you don't have a phone it is ok to walk (walking up with luggage is a whole different ball game). About one third of the way down, someone did ask me if he could help me with my luggage, not sure which hotel he worked for (there are 2 or 3 down the same path, I didn't ask as I was ok to walk).
The staff are mega friendly (including the cat). When I arrived, the lady who worked at the kitchen gave me a welcome hamper with a small bottle of wine and fruit. I was totally not expecting it and I love it when they just go the extra mile for you.
I had a traditional room on the lowest level which was great for the view and peace and quiet. A bit of a walk back up, I had to rest at the reception each trip (great for working out the glutes tho! If you exercise regularly I don't think it will be a problem for you). When I left, a young man helped me with my luggage back up to the taxi waiting on the main road. He made it look like a walk in the park and he said my luggage was light at 14kgs.
There is a small food store just 2 mins down the path from the main walking pathway, Fira bus station is a 15 minute brisk walk .Found a nice spot just between Fira and Firostefani to watch the sunset, much better than watching it from Oia. The hotel is also a very nice spot, also much better than Oia. I was told by a few locals that Firostefani is the best place to watch the sunset but the area has been monopolised by hotels so there isn't really a spot you can just hang out at unless you stay at the hotel or drink/eat at the hotel restaurant (really expensive!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Yes, the stairs are a constant issue. Get over it. This hotel offers a luxurious stay with a killer view.
We didn't eat dinner there but lunch was good and the breakfast spread they put out is spectacular. The poolside drinks are pricey but it was a fun drink menu that kept you going back for more.
The rooms are cool, actually built into the mountain. AC unit was a little erratic but served it's purpose. It was also one of the most comfy bed we had on our trip.
The pool is perfect and the pool view can't be described in words.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael S
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

When my husband and I first arrived at the Villa we were stunned by how beautiful the view was and how friendly and helpful Panos was. The staff were great, friendly and helpful. We had a honeymoon suite that was amazing and spacious. We can't say enough about this place and how beautiful our wedding was thanks to Panos and all who were involved in making my day magical. We will be returning soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KMONEGRO
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room and view almost made me never want to leave the room and patio area. It was so wonderful, and peaceful. The staff were always so friendly and helpful.

It is really close to Fira, the larger town. There are lots of stairs so if that is an issue beware (but all of Santorini is like that).

4 Thank TMyers26
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We found the villa for our family of 4 to be very clean and suitable for our needs. The views from the patio were amazing. Reception was very helpful in organizing private tours for us, recommending local restaurants and ordering taxis. Breakfast was made fresh every day. Walk down to Fira town was only 10-15 minutes (lots of stairs!). My kids enjoyed the jacuzzi and feeding the cats.

Room Tip: we stayed closer to reception which was quiet compared to the villas enroute to the pool & break...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank murgatr
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband and i stayed at dana villas for 4 nights. Our first impression wasnt too good. We had arranged for transfer to hotel but when we arrived at the ferry terminal, there was no one waiting for us. We had to pay eur 2 for a phone call to dana villas from one of the travel agent at the terminal since we did not have a local mobile.

We waited for 45mins before the transfer finally came. The reception lady was hardly apologetic, she only informed us that there was a mix up in the transfer arrangement. She also gave us a bus timetable with wrong bus timing, it could be a summer bus timetable so please get an updated one at the bus station instead.

When we checked into our room (room 103), the bathroom was in need of renovation, things were old in the room and floor was dusty. The toilet seat could not stay up, we informed reception and someone came to check the problem and was given change of room. This was not a good experience after the issue with transfer.

We were given room 115 next which was a split level villa at the corner, great view of the caldera. Bathroom looked better maintained but shower bar was shaky and everytime i moved the shower head, the show bar would give way. The hotel room floor again was dusty and i noticed dirt that was on the floor in the morning was still there after housekeeping in the eve and after 3 days later.

Breakfast selection was good compared to other european hotels with generous varieties. However, environment was not condusive as there were quite a number of noisy tourists conversing across different tables during breakfast. This also happened frequently during the course of the day whereby similar batch of tourists were shouting from their terraces down to hotel pool and vice versa. We came across 2 different batches of tourists behaving this way and at some point were really annoyed.

In addition, they would sun their clothes and shoes at our private terrace in front of our room which was very inconsiderate. This greatly affected our hotel experience negatively. I believe the hotel should have some sort of policy against inconsiderate hotel guests.

The only redeeming factors were the helpful male night time receptionist and the porter as he carried our luggages down hundreds of steps from our first room to second room and then on the last day up the cliff for our airport transfer.

There are many other caldera view accommodations along firastefani, i would recommend to look for other alternatives.

1 Thank sephyra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place was awesome and the staff really friendly and helpfull, gave us all the advice we could've hoped for on the local area. Would strongly recommend to anyone looking at Santorini for a holiday. October was a great time to go as the number of cruise ships dropped making the place less crowded.

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Rocabella Santorini Resort & Spa
Mill Houses Elegant Suites
Mill Houses Elegant Suites
#4 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to Dana Villas Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!