“Wonderful hotel, fabulous island!”

Santa Maria Village
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Adamas
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We have just returned from Milos, having spent 4 nights at the lovely Santa Maria Village.
I chose the hotel based on some of the trip advisor comments, and was not disappointed. Great location, slightly out of Adamas, about a 15 minute walk from the centre, and elevated. We had a lovely large room, with the best shower I've ever had in a greek hotel, and a lovely patio/garden area outside, with lemon and olive trees.

The owners are charming, and could not do enough to make us feel welcome. The hotel was fairly quiet during our stay, still low season, which suited us, so there was plenty of room around the pool. Incidentally, I swam in the pool every day, and yes, it's a bit nippy at first, but so refreshing. Bar prices at the hotel are a bit steep, as would be expected, but everything else was perfect....and wouldn't hesitate to return to this hotel if we're lucky enough to re-visit Milos in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 11, 2008

My wife and I stayed 6 nights at Santa Maria Village at the end of August 2008 ,and all I can say is what a great choice of hotels.
The location is ideal, with a perfect view of the town and sea. You need a taxi to get there with luggage, but nothing nicer than walking into town (day or night from hotel) which only takes 10 minutes. There are several nice restaurants along the main road (with incredible meats/fish and better service than in the centre)
The hotel (complex) is very pretty,clean, and the pool area beautiful to relax around while catching a few rays or having a drink. The staff are very helpful and eager to answers any questions you have. They will organise taxi's, tell you about which beaches to visit, pretty much everything.
As we checked in end of August there wasn't many people compared to June or July, infact some days I counted 2 or 3 people by the pool, so if you want to relax and unwind then you won't find a better place.
I can honestly say that Santa Maria would be our first choice of hotels, if we came back to Milos.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights as part of an island hopping holiday and our first impression on the taxi ride from the port was that it was further out from town than we would have liked, our concerns were not realised however, as we soon discovered a footpath into town from the pool that took off a large chunk of the road.
The hotel is surrounded by colourful grounds with olive trees and pretty flowers, even green lawns, not a common site in Greece in August! The room was spacious with large flat screen TV and modern bathroom, even a shower curtain, not always a thing you get in Greek bathrooms.
The staff were extremely helpful, especially Sofia, who organised car hire and the excursion boat to Kleftiko from Kypos for us (much shorter day than the round the island trip) beach towels were available also, though we did find this out ourselves as not told at check in, only.
The pool area is great, real comfy beds and as the area is on a slight hill, fabulous views across the whole bay. Breakfast was excellent with a good selection, even watermelon pie, not had that before!
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay in a pleasant environment and convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We stayed at the Santa Maria Village as the first stop on a Greek island hopping trip. Wow - we couldn't really have asked for more. We tried to keep the trip to a fairly tight budget, so weren't expecting too much from the accommodation as long as it was clean and comfy. So we were stunned when our taxi pulled up at Santa Maria and we were led to a gorgeous room, with the most stunning view over the swimming pool and bay of Adamas, as well as views to Adamas itself. It was just gorgeous. The room was immaculate with a huge TV and everything we could have needed.
The swimming pool was the nicest pool I have ever swum in. It was spotlessly clean and lounging in the pool whilst looking out over the bay (the hotel is on the hillside) was a major highlight of the first few days of our trip. Breakfast was lovely and plentiful and served in the lovely gardens next to the pool area. The only tiny negative for us was that the pool bar was not open when we were there in late September but we just bought drinks from the shops and took them to the pool when we wanted.
We used Santa Maria as a base for exploring Milos. It was an easy ten minute walk into Adamas where we took a boat for the round of Milos trip - well worth it. We also hired a buggy and drove to Plaka and Pollonia ourselves. Although the beaches in Adamas are nothing special, elsewhere on the island they are to die for, so it is well worth venturing around the whole island. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in Adamas - it is not the liveliest place but there was plenty to keep us occupied. I would go back to both Milos and Santa Maria like a shot.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrumBeachLover
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We stayed at Santa Maria during our honeymoon. The staff was very nice and helpful and our room had a very nice view and balcony. (Sorry I don't remember the room number.) But our room type was "studio with sea view and balcony." The pool was beautiful and the breakfast was pretty good. The only problems with breakfast were 1) not enough fruit and 2) lots of cats wandering around.

The room itself was very clean. The bathroom floor did get really wet after every shower, but I think that's fairly typical.

Santa Maria is about a 10 minute walk from the main port/town so do keep that in mind.

Other bonuses: Free internet and there are nice showers by the pool which we used before hopping on our ferry.

In a nutshell, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I have stayed at Santa Maria Village in room number 28 very recently in June for my first trip with my significant other after our engagement and I could not ask for a more wonderful and magical experience offered by Santa Maria Village. We were treated with such unique respect and courtesy that we do not usually see in the States. We arrived at the hotel with the convenient transportation offered by Mr. Markos Xydous who additionally was extremely gracious to us during our car ride to the hotel. During our arrival at the hotel we were greeted and taken care of at the reception by Ms. Anthoula with extreme care. We were taken to our room which was decorated beautifully and was extremely clean. There was plenty of extra space in order to store our belongings and to feel as if we were able to relax in our own personal space. The room had all the facilities that we needed in order to make our stay even more convenient. Everything offered inside the room was not only beautiful externally but was of extremely high quality making us feel as if we decorated it ourselves with the outmost care. The hotel offered the utmost care in keeping the room clean with fresh towels and sheets. The hotel offers a wonderful area with a pool and a bar that was of very high quality. The pool was always taken care of every day with the utmost care and was very clean. The pool bar was additionally extremely convenient. It was an extremely pleasant environment to stay at during the evenings in order to enjoy a peaceful drink with your loved ones. Additionally, Mr. Hlias took care of us at the pool bar very graciously making us feel like we could stay at the pool bar all night comfortably and peacefully. In the mornings we were offered breakfast that was of the freshest quality brought in every morning by Markos who took care of the Hotel garden that produced its own fruit and vegetables which were served to us daily.

In conclusion, we had the most magical time at Santa Maria Village and I could not ask for a more unique and happy beginning to my engagement! I thank Santa Maria for its gracious and unique treatment of its hotel guests! I can say with great pride that I will be the first to book our room next summer to come back to milos to stay at Santa Maria Village just to come back to the place that made us feel that we were beginning the most beautiful experience of our lives together! Thank you Santa Maria Village!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tua14322
Reviewed July 8, 2008

To start things off with this first visit to Milos, we were not met at the airport as requested per previous emails. This caused some confusion at first but we decided to take a cab and finally arrived at Santa Maria Village. Cab fare 5E from airport.
My daughter and I were delighted with the property. Hibiscus flowers were in abundance everywhere, the open breakfast area and pool deck were just as lovely.

We were directed to Rm 69 on the second floor with a tremendous view of the pool and commanding views of Adamas Bay. Our room was spacious, orderly and clean with even a sink, small stove and mini-fridge if needed. The only problem we later learned was that we didn't have hot water.

On 3 separate calls over 3 days to the lady at the desk (I presume the owner's wife), no progress was made to fix this issue. I admit, she did not understand English well. Finally on the 4th day...after catching a cold in the process...I more strongly voiced my dissatisfaction about the lack of hot water to Elias (the husband) and he took care to straighten out the problem. I had asked around other travelers if they had hot water concerns but they did not have any problems so perhaps it was just our unit. I can't tell you how happy I was to finally have hot water on our 4th (of 5) day visit! Elias is apparently the guy to talk to if you need to speak to someone who understands English well.

Elias was also very helpful with car rental request after I discovered that the bus schedule to the most popular beaches were not up and running before the 15 of June. Elias secured a good rate for an automatic (40E) and my daughter and I had a splendid time exploring Papafragus and Sarakiniko Beach -totalling awesome!

Elias was also helpful with the internet service in the hotel. You buy an internet "Hot Spot" card at the desk for 5E and have about an hour of use. Elias is quick to assist if you have any difficulties logging on.

Adamas Town is easy to navigate from a path and takes about 10 min to the town center if you are a quick walker (I am)....longer for others. Note the path is not a level one and a bit of a steep hike coming back from town (you're heading up not down). In town you will find the banks and card phones. On the way to town are 3 tavernas with nice dining on the bay and great food. Do try Milos Cheese Saganaki...I loved it!

You will love the pool area of Santa Maria Village. When we were there in June, they served drinks and snacks at the bar, could be they serve more food during the high season. Not sure so you might want to ask about this.

You are bound to meet the 2 resident dogs, with Frou Frou being the younger one and quite frisky! There are many cats in the area and apparently they have staked out their claims to certain territories around the open breakfast area. Be sure not to leave your seat to venture back into the inside dining area for something you forgot, because a kitty may jump up and slurp your cereal while you are gone (see photo)!

You are certain to hear the sounds of a rooster (cockadoodle-doo all day) and lambs nearby. Also, apparently alot of doves.
And without doubt, you will hear the wind. Milos is a pretty windy island I have found out. Be sure to check your flights due to the winds because sometimes they will cancel because of them.

A bus ride from Adamas town to Plaka (under 2E) was rewarding although most shops in the Plaka were not open for the summer season before June 15. That said, the views from this area were stunning and the town quite charming plus there was a great ice cream shop near the bus stop.

The most exciting thing about Milos besides seeing the famous beaches of Papafragus and Sarakiniko, I think, is it's perimeter. Do sign up for an All Around Milos tour. It was only 25E pp and worth every penny. I would suggest sticking cotton balls in your ears to help with the effects of the wind at times during your journey. Swimming among the Milos Beauties was a dream come true. Every turn revealed amazing rock formations and colors plus endless sea caves. There is a seagull island and even a ship wreck to spy. If you are a camera nut like I am...Milos is photo paradise!

My main reason to visit Milos was to visit Sarakiniko and swim among the Beauties. I fulfilled 2 dreams on this island but was quite surprised with all the raw quiet beauty on its rim. Certainly a don't miss island and Santa Maria Village is really a good place to drop your anchor during your stay....just be sure the hot water is running!

I think my photos will show there is plenty of storage room in #69. Actually 3 people could have slept in this room since it had a double bed and one twin. The dressing table had a nice big mirror and roomy drawers if necessary. It was a bit tight in the shower but that is pretty standard for Greece. Enjoy Milos, we did!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank CGodez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adamas
Artemis Deluxe Rooms
#1 of 7 in Pollonia
Lagada Beach Hotel
Lagada Beach Hotel
#34 of 35 in Milos

Been to Santa Maria Village? Share your experiences!