“Generally OK, but poolside attendant appalling.”

Santa Maria Village
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Adamas
Scotland
“Generally OK, but poolside attendant appalling.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I wish tht the owner had arranged beforehand to pick us up at the ferry, as we paid 7 euros for a taxi to travel a very short distance.

We had a pleasant upstairs room with good views over the pool, countryside and sea, but it was like a wind tunnel and we had to keep the doors closed all the time (and the aircon on) to avoid loud banging doors. Most of the hotel grounds felt rather 'raw' and new - more trees around the pool would have softened the surroundings and provided much needed shade. The pool was good and the breakfast (outside in a pleasant tree-shaded courtyard) was good. The distance to Adamas centre was further than expected - a good 15 minute walk.

However, the thing that spoilt the whole 5 day visit for us was the behaviour of the poolside bar attendant, Dimitra. The first afternoon I asked for a cup of tea - not possible. I had to go to reception and a cup of tea was eventually brought. Next morning down to the pool and I asked for coffee - again not possible. Again I had to go to reception, where I was told that the girl was new and hadn't yet been trained to heat the water! I went back to the poolside where Dimitra and her 5 young boy friends had very loudly taken over the pool and jacuzzi. Dimitra was kissing and cuddling and jacuzzying with no concern for the guests at all. When I expressed my disapproval, one of her boy friends told me that this was how things were run in Greece. We ended up clearing our own cups and saucers from the small table and taking them back to the bar. I was tempted to go and complain about the situation, but I didn't want to spoil my holiday by creating an atmosphere whenever I went to the poolside.

I am amazed that, if she was new, no-one was supervising her at all. Her unchecked behaviour indicates a lack of good management. It completely coloured our view of the hotel and means that we would never return.

2 Thank HeckyScotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We arrived here after 36 hours in transit and were so pleased. We stayed for 4 nights in total. The hotel has a spectacular view of Adamas as it's a bit higher on the hill. This does mean it's a short walk to the main Port for restaurants/supermarket etc, but it's only 5 minutes or so and does give you the feeling of an infinity pool as you sit in it and overlook the city.

The Village itself is beautifully maintained and is so quiet - all you hear are birds and church bells in the morning. The pool is lovely and the staff at reception and the bar are incredibly friendly and helpful - nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast buffet is extensive and fresh, plus has a lovely area to eat in with a few resident cats to keep you company.

Our room was the basic room and was very clean (and cleaned every day with fresh towels etc) on our arrival. The bed/pillows were pretty basic, we should have asked for extra pillows but kept forgetting. There was a fridge but no tea/coffee facilities. They provided bottled water on our arrival, as well as a honeymoon welcome gift of champagne and local jam which was nice. We were on the ground floor so no such 'view', but we were shaded by olive trees and had a little outdoor setting that was surrounded by plush grass and a view of the ocean from one side. If we had our choice again, we probably could have chosen the rooms that overlook the pool and have the view to the hills or the Port, however, we spent little time in our room anyway - the island of Milos is easy to get around in a hire car and has lots of great eateries and beaches to visit. These were mainly recommended to us by Sophia and Ilyas at the hotel who really made our stay feel extra special.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floors or overlooking the pool would have a better view. All rooms would be very qu...
2 Thank Danica T
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

nice hotel, nice view, beautiful pool, large bedrooms, beautiful view from de room, the manager help us with all our questions, rent a car, beaches, restaurants. Close to the city of adamas and port. Easy walking. Everything was nice. I only think that the transfer from port to the hotel could be free like in anothers island we stayed.

2 Thank BlogLoucosPorViagem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Milos for a few nights (in Adamas and Pollonia) and we loved staying here. Great location a short walk from the tavernas of Adamas, really spacious room with a massive balcony overlooking the bay.

But most of all, the staff are really friendly and happy to help with any need you may require - our ferry was cancelled due to bad weather and they helped out immeasurably. Picked us up from the dock, we got the same room as before and even gave us a lift back the next day when the ferry came. Cannot recommend them enough.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Lennyandcarl23
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

I ended up on Milos minus my travel buddy (unexpectedly). Was picked up from the ferry and deposited at the hotel. Management was adequate but not overly helpful in suggesting activities or places to eat. The hotel was a bit of a hike from the main town . . . fine for a gentle saunter during the day but coming back alone at night through an unlit alley and track was a little daunting. At times I had to use my mobile phone as a torch!

Breakfast was adequate, although I couldn't comment on the service at the hotel, because I was really left to my own devices. The room was fine, although the bathroom was very small. The balcony had a lovely view over the pool and harbour.

I hired a car while I was there and explored the island's many beaches. I had initially chosen Milos as an island to just chill out on and relax, thinking that I would be sharing the experience with a friend. However, it's probably not a place I would recommend for a solo traveller as there isn't a lot to do when you have a lot of time on your own to fill. Interestingly even at the beginning of September it was difficult to find a boat tour or cruise.

When hiring a car, beware that the car is provided with an empty tank (different from other countries I've done this in). It's a bit of a scam because you must then estimate how far you are going to travel and fill the tank accordingly. I'm guessing most people over-estimate and of course take the car back with a lot more petrol in it than initially provided with.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank julieg73
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I organised my wedding in Santa Maria Village in June 2011. The hotel is nice, with great views from the pool and from some rooms. Our guests stayed there and were satisfied with their stay.
The hotel is a bit of a walk from the village and it is easier with a car to move around.
Though the village and the suites (managed by the same family) were fine, we had difficulty with the owner regarding the bill and organisation of the wedding party. Though we brought them close to 50 clients and almost filled their hotel in low season and though they forgot to make some bookings, they showed no flexibility when it came to modification and cancellations, even though most of those changes were due to one of my family member being hospitalised 2 days before the wedding.
I also do not recommend organising a wedding there: the catering proposed was terrible (main dish was served cold), as was the "event organiser" imposed for flowers, decoration and music. Organising a wedding with most people coming from abroad is already difficult and you do not need extra last minute stress because the hotel has not foreseen that you will need light for an outdoor dinner or because the flowers are not being delivered on time...
In short, Santa Maria is a good choice if you stay only for a couple of days on holidays and you are sure you will not have to change your dates or cancel your stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Helene_bxl
sao paulo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I spent 03 nights at Santa Maria Village in last Ausgust.
Was perfect: we booked a suite: modern, big, clean with a balcony with oceanview, near the swimming pool. If you go for honeymoon, spent a little more and stay at this suite.
The service is kind and all staff is very helpful. The breakfast is plenty of variety and well served.
The location is good also: near downtown Adamas, but you should rent a car.
If you go during summer time, don´t miss the tour to Klefko with Arch di Mare Boat: Dimos is the captain, so nice!!! You will find this boat at Adamas pier.
Milos has the best beaches ever!!! Tsigrados, Firiplaka are stunning!!! The water colour is amazing!
I loved all and we will be back again!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vivivacation
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adamas
Psaravolada Resort
#1 of 7 in Pollonia
Glaronisia Hotel
Glaronisia Hotel
#5 of 7 in Pollonia

Been to Santa Maria Village? Share your experiences!