Do you know what is the quality definition? Yes, it is what you get in comparison to your expectation. If you get 'rolex' for 10 $ you will be satisfied if the watch survives 1 year still working. If you get rolex for 10.000 $ you will be disappointed if it stops after 10 years.
Indigo Mare marks itself by 4 stars. And in fact it works against this nice place. Going to 4-stars 'apartamentos' people expect something special. And they get nothing special at all. It is decent hotel with many advantages and very few defects but that's all.
Indigo Mare are few different size 2-levels buildings. None of them has a straight view on the sea. Only restaurant, bar and swimming pool face the sea. Swimming pool is rather small. Wading pool for children is also not impressed. There are few attractions for small children as swings, etc. and many cats - maybe more interesting than man can expect. Cats are friendly and sweet.
- location is nice, close to the sandy beach. The area is quiet but still only 50 m from he main street with dozens of restaurants and shops
- rooms are spacious and with nice terrace each
- TV, yes, but 14' and mostly in not understanding languages ;) - only CNN and eurosport (German version) could be watched
- AC (paid - I return to this point later)
- fridge, small kitchen, shower bath
- staff friendly and smiling whole time
- free wi-fi works surprisingly well
- there is an internet corner in the reception hall. 2 stationary comps work very slow but they are free from charge
Small things works against:
- rooms are not cleaned during your stay and to understand the system Einstein must be hired. The information in reception says it is expected 3 towel changes during your stay. How it works? We came on Sunday. Monday - nothing happened, Tuesday - our garbage plastic bag was replaced by a new one - nice! Wednesday - somebody make our bed and maybe swept the floor, more rolls of toilet paper appears in the bath so we had 10 rolls instead of 6 as in the beginning. New towels came in!
Thursday - new towels again! Garbage disappeared again. Friday, Saturday and Sunday - nothing happened.
Terrace was very dirty when we came. No rain on Creta from 4 months and white dust on Terrace balustrade was probably also 4 months old.
Beds are hard, very hard.
Hotel is full of useful instructions for the guests - wash your dishes (no rag and no detergent in the kitchen to do it), keep your room clean, close windows and doors if you are not inside, do not throw paper to the lavatory.
All public toilets on the ground level are closed and that way they are probably very clean.
I mentioned also AC - remote control costs 7€ per day. A simple coffee maker - it costs additional as well. Room service - yes, it is but again, very expensive. That facts make 4-stars label doubtful. If somebody wants to get more than must paid for.
All and all - cheap price make the offer very attractive but why 4-stars for something average?
I almost forget - the beach is not friendly for children - water is not shallow at all and sandy bottom starts from 1 m deep. 5 m farther water is 2 m deep.
I highly recommend Indigo Mare. Only very few details works against them. But, please, do not expect too much and your satisfaction is guaranteed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Indigo Mare hotel-apartments complex lies on the most beautiful part of the golden sand of Platanias beach. It offers hospitality, comfort and serenity giving the unique opportunity to relax right next to the sea.Indigo Mare is one of the most famous complexes in Platanias village. It is 15 minutes drive from Chania town. The airport is 30 minutes drive away and the port of Souda in 20 minutes, both through national road. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, Bookgreece.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Indigo Mare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Indigo Mare Hotel Platanias
- Indigo Mare Platanias, Crete - Chania