Minoa Palace Resort
$130
$108
Chryssana Beach Hotel(Kolymbari)(Great Value!)
$103
Ermis Suites(Platanias)(Great Value!)
$62
$57
1,236 results
All reviewsimperial winghalf boardprivate poololder partbeach sidethomson repa mountain view roompiano barnew wingmain buildinghead cheftwo weeksguest relationsbusy roadbreakfast and dinneran excellent hotela la carte restaurant
Reviewed July 5, 2009

After reading all the reviews I expected to find a 5 star hotel from all the aspects but only the room had 5*. I will mention all the bad aspects:
- the variety of the menu (breakfast and dinner) was very poor; the refill of the plates was made very rarely and only if you would ask for it
- the pressure of the water (in the room) very low
- the restaurants from the hotel look very very cheap (especially the one where you serve dinner from the old part of the hotel) - like 2*/3* hotel restaurants; after eating twice in this restaurant we choose to eat in Platanias, to the taverna;
- there were no lounge bars in the hotels - everything closed after 00:00 (even the underground parking - we tried to park the car after 00:00 and the parking was closed), no music (we ask for music in the a la carte restaurant and they say that they don't have the possibility), no entertainment choices
- very small pool area - in the new part of the hotel; low number of umbrellas
- very low evening atmosphere
- you have to pay 3 euro/day for the locker (security box)
- the towels for the swimming pool should be brought back in the room - there is no possibility to let the towels in a basket to the swimming pool
- we paid for a sea view room and we receive a partial sea view

I have to mention also the good parts of the hotels:
- the rooms (in the new part of the hotel) were very nice and clean, decorated in a modern style with wood floor;
- free internet
- the hotel location was good: in Platanias, near the taverna and restaurants; on the beach

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank camelia_2009
Reviewed July 1, 2009

As almost all the reviews have stated, it's hard to fault this very good hotel.

Booking in was instant and our luggage arrived at our room about 15 mins later.
Room pretty spacious, well appointed clean modern and almost "cool" in it's feel
I have read of some complaints regading the shower curtain, having stayed in about 12 different hotels etc in Greece at various price points I can only say that that this is the first one to have both a hook to hold the shower head and the luxury of a shower curtain, so no complaints from me on that score.

Our bed was fine . Towels both bathing and beach were good quality and changed daily.

The rooms, hotel , gardens and pools were all very clean. Even the slabs around the beach front pool were swept and mopped daily.

Food for all meals was plentiful, varied and generally good quality but did become "samey". As someone else here has said "it's not cordon bleu" but they do a brilliant job on the budget. On our last day we ate in the beachfront restaurant. The food here was excellent!!!!! Freshly made to order, huge quantities. Brilliant surroundings.

I felt the bar prices were a bit high at the pool bar. A lemonade cost almost as much as a beer!!

Pools were all great, I loved the 25 metre beach front pool

All in all our only complaints were:-

1) The all pervading music. It's everywhere and loud. This from a confirmed loud music loving fan!!!!! All the pools have it, you get it for breakfast lunch and dinner. It effectively destroys the natural atmosphere and ambience the hotel has tried to create. Having said that, after 3 days my wife did complain and the music at the pools was turned down and changed from rap to more of a chillout theme.
This didn't affect the volume in the dining areas though, still too loud.
2) Pool opening hours are signposted as being open from 8.00 am until 20.00 hrs.Twice we turned up for a swim at 8.00 AM only to be told "come back in 2 hours".
We didn't complain but it could do with sorting.

3) Staff were all excellent but just didn't seem happy to be there.

Any questions, send me an email Love light and peace Grecophile262

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Great location on the outer edge of Platanias town which has many restaurants, bars, and shops. The hotel was very nice, although spread out. Definitely stay on the new wing which on the beach side as they have a large nice pool and also can walk out on the beach. Room was up to date, clean, and spacey. A "sea view" is not really a sea view, and the private pools dont give you any privacy so probably not worth it if you ask me.

Food - The Italian restaurant on the old wing had one of the best turkey burgers I have ever had, and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her food. The restaurant on the upper level of beach side was nothing special, although very good (better off going into to town like a place called Mylos something which the front desk can tell you about)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2009

This was one of those "sharp intake of breath" moments - Our first visit to Crete and we were lucky enough to pick this place. Me and the missus stayed in 627 which is a 'garden room' sort of out the back of the main building. We instantly tested the staff - the on-line booking system we used didn't realise that if you select a garden room upgrade they don't have twin beds - a must in our case as Madam moves all the time in her sleep and I use a CPAP machine that blows out cold air! So the first room had a double - trek back to reception and in no time they gave us what turned out to be an even nicer room with twin beds, all sorted out quickly and with no fuss.

I'm not going to go on at length, my missus did that in her review - here's the good bits:-

Food absolutely brilliant.
Atmosphere excellent
Appearance of hotel excellent
Pleasant staff
Quiet
Terrific grounds and gardens
Close proximity to shops and cafe's.
Loads of sockets in the room (gadget freaks take note)
Large spacious room (627)

I can't stress enough how nice this place is - I think the only hotel that stands out as better was the Jumeira Beach in Dubai and that's won loads of awards.

And the bad? - the bloody beds were terrible, like sleeping on a door, just way too hard to be comfortable - it cost us sleep. I'm talking so hard we were tempted to buy a couple of lilo's to sleep on. Rubbish shower curtain arrangement meant you couldn't have a shower without wetting the floor through - dangerous. And that's it really!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RampantTraveller
Reviewed May 20, 2009

The Hotel Minoa Palace in Platanias, Crete has to be rated as one of the better hotels that I have stayed in. In terms of value for your money it was very good!

As said before the hotel was split into two seperate halves by the main road which was busy at times. There is a footbridge that spans the road so you don't have to dodge the traffic. I can imagine you could spend your entire time at the 'annexe' only coming over to the main building to check in and out.

We stayed in the main building in a Garden Room or as some of the staff called them, the bungalow rooms. These rooms were split from the main building but were fairly easily accessible via a walk outside and a couple of short flights of steps.

The Balcony of the room faced the garden area and wasn't particularly overlooked from any direction, was a decent size and had quite nice furniture - not a white plastic table and chairs! The Bathroom was roomy with a shower over the bath but the shower was not really up to the job and it was a challenge, nay impossible to keep the tiled floor clear of water whilst using the shower. The towels were large and fluffy and the mirrors were well placed. We found the beds to be rock hard and the Sofa/Day bed was the same. The room overall was spacious and well set out.

The hotel was very well maintained with a lot of thought gone into making it pleasing on the eye, with immaculate garden areas and well appointed lounge areas. Maid service was efficient and the staff on the whole (maybe a smile faded once or twice) were very pleasant and helpful.

The food was a delight! The buffett selection wasn't vast but the quality made up for any lack of selection (but really the selection was excellent). Every night the hotel tried to have a different theme. I spotted Greek night (of course) Chinese, Italian and English. There was also a fish night with an outstanding array of dishes for every palate. The dreaded Chips only made an appearance once in the week and I had a feeling that was on English night!!!

Oh and the weather was glorious.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple