“Ok, but considerable room for improvement”

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This hotel is rated 5 stars. Partly, those stars are justified, but some important things are definitely not worth 5 stars. The hotel is new, clean and the staff is doing their best. However there are some points I would like to make, since those things are the main reasons I would not recommend this hotel.

Firstly, I would like to mention the breakfast. The breakfast hour is from 7:30 - 10 am. This means that the breakfast room is more or less empty until 9 o´clock but if you arrive 9:00 or later, be prepared for a frenzy! Everybody is on holiday and try to sleep a little longer than usual. That is not advisable at this hotel ! We had friends at a similar resort nearby and their breakfast ended 10:30. That made all the difference. The buffet is in a separate room and you must take your breakfast through a corridor which is not wide enough when you have a massive crowd all trying to take breakfast just before they close. You must almost elbow through throngs of families all trying to manage with their plates. So rise early if you want to " enjoy " breakfast.

The breakfast itself is ok, but nothing to write home about. I was surprised to find out that their orange juice is just industrial concentrate, diluted with water from a machine, nothing close to the fresh orange juice you get at almost every restaurants around the hotel. They have orange groves all over Crete soI just wonder where they got this stuff? No stars for the orange juice !

We had breakfast included in our terms but dropped it few times and got it later at restaurants to be able to better enjoy our holiday, sleep longer and get away from the feeding frenzy.

The second point I would like to mention is the internet. That is simply the worst I have ever experienced in a hotel. If you have teenagers who want to stay in touch with friends though Facebook or by just hanging on the net, this hotel is not the place. It worked tolerably around the pool closest to the lobby and in the lobby itself, but rarely in the hotelroom. The signal strength was good in the room, but clearly, after 16:00 too many try to log on. They use understandably a login page, which mean you must login every time you drop out of the net. I think I will remember my login and password for many years to come, you must constantly log in, if you want to stay on the internet in your room.

We never had dinner or lunch in the hotel, one of the reasons for that was we wanted to check email and get on Facebook, which was easy in most of the excellent restaurants around the hotel.

If you have small children, waking you up early and are too young for internet, this is a good place to stay, for people with teenagers who must be on the internet, this is not the right hotel, unless you are willing to listen to constant whining and complaines. For couples without children but must communicate with children staying behind at home, this is also akward and I recommend check other accommodation.

However it is difficult to know these thing beforehand, and therefore Tripadvisor is a very useful tool to find the optimal accommodation.

Despite of this, our holiday in Greec was excellent and we will come again to Crete.

Room Tip: Garden View means you face a wall.
5  Thank Hlynur A
Sofia K, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2014

Dear Mr. Hlynur A.,
Basically, I would like to thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.
I am very pleased that you are satisfied by most of our services and that you had a great holiday in Crete! However, you indicate that not all was up to your desires. I would like to apologize for this inconvenience and to assure you that all staff of our hotel works constantly in order to provide our guests with the highest standards of service.
Specifically, regarding the breakfast time I would like to inform you that our maitre and captains do their best in order to help our guests. I understand that during the high season the restaurant is more busy than usual but of course the staff of our hotel is prepared and trained to service our guests even in demanding situations. Thank you for your advices regarding that issue and of course we will take them under consideration!
Moreover, I would like to apologize for facing problem with the Wi- Fi. I would like to inform you that we have already fixed a problem occurred and we have find a solution for an even better speed.
Last but not least, I would like to demonstrate that we are a family hotel and we are very willing to accommodate people of all ages! We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in our hotel

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We (my husband, I and 2 young children 3 & 1 years) spent a week all inclusive, in one of their maisonette rooms. I couldn't believe it was cleaned with new sheets and towels EVERYDAY! The maids were so friendly, along with all the other staff in the restaurants, bars and reception. The 5 pools were immaculately clean with no over powering chlorine smell, and the location of the kids pool was fantastic being right next to the playground, meaning mummy & daddy could soak up some sun.
The location of the hotel was perfect for our relaxing, car free holiday. 45 minutes transfer from the airport (which included multiple stops so would only take 20 minutes in a taxi), directly on the beach and located in the middle of a great selection of shops including holiday shops, restaurants and a small mall.
Our all inclusive bands meant we got free drinks at the main bar, and 15% off at the other 4 they have. The main restaurant for all inclusive had a buffet style service which was excellent. You are shown to your seats by the friendliest of staff, then can choose from a massive selection of different dishes each meal time. Dinner usually had a theme and included about 10 different main dishes plus a large variety of sides, salads, fresh bread etc. The quality of every dish they produced was definitely a 4 or 5 star, we had no complaints during our whole weeks stay.
This was our first all inclusive holiday and thought it was outstanding. Obviously we had nothing to compare it to, but we met an older couple who go on 3-4 all inclusive holidays a year all over the world, and they said this was one of the best they'd experienced.
We would highly recommend this resort to anyone, whether you want to relax, shop or explore the island. We will definitely be going to this hotel resort again.

Room Tip: Our maisonette was great, but we hasn't thought through the stairs with a 1 year old. It was a l...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Naomi_Matt

Mrs. Naomi_Matt,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your time sharing your opinion regarding your last visit at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.
Further to your review, I feel very pleased that we have managed to satisfy all your expectations! I am really happy that you are delighted from our facilities, location, cleanliness services in the room and in the external public areas, the food quality and especially the all inclusive program, which we give a lot of attention and we try to improve it every year.
We are looking forward to welcome again you and your family in our hotel for the most relaxing time!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on the half board rate from 3-17th June'14. We enjoyed a fantastic stay for many reasons: the hotel itself which is up-to-date and beautifully maintained, the pleasant, helpful and efficient staff throughout and the excellent food and dining arrangements.
The hotel is situated on the coast road from Chania to Kissamos with the beach at the rear and as you walk into the spacious, well-furnished reception area to be greeted by the pleasant receptionists you enter a world whose main concern is your comfort and well-being.
We have stayed in many 5 star hotels throughout the world and this is the only one that changed the bed linen every other day; all the cleaning of public and private rooms is carried out efficiently and unobtrusively.There are different bars and swimming pools throughout the complex which provide the opportunity to choose whichever ambience suits your mood.
The food is simply fantastic - so fresh and varied - and all fresh fruits including melon, peaches, apricots, star fruit. cherries, apples, bananas, oranges, kiwi, and pears were always available, plus different juices including tomato.
The assortment of fish, meat plus vegetarian dishes was amazing as were the delicious deserts

Room Tip: Room 320 is spacious, well-furnished, peaceful and quiet overlooking a small garden area
1  Thank Doris H
Sofia K, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2014

Dear Mrs. Doris H.,
First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments in regards to your recent visit at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.
Further to your review, I am very delighted that you and your husband are satisfied by the most of our services including our location, staff, hotel facilities, cleanliness, food quality. Your comment “you enter a world whose main concern is your comfort and well-being” is the most significant recognition of our daily efforts to provide our guest the highest standards of service. Your review gives us strength to maintain and even improve our 5 * services in the future!
We are looking forward to welcome you soon in our hotel!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

For claiming to be a 5 star hotel, Porto Platanias is a bit disappointing.

1) They claim to have wi-fi, but both coverage and speed is no good. The staff tried to help us with this, but couldn't do much about it.

2) The breakfast buffet is huge, but does not have other fresh fruits than orange and kiwi. The restaurant is huge and not very cosy. Not a relaxing atmosphere.

3) You have to pay extra for the sun beds on the beach.

4) We ordered drinks in the pool bar, not impressed by the bartender at all. A limited drinks menu.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aaeeaa

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Aaeeaa,
First of all, I would like to thank you for posting on Trip Advisor concerning your recent stay in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.
Further to your post, I would like to express my apologies for not meeting your desires regarding some issues during your stay with us. Particularly, as I read you have faced problems with the Wi-Fi connection, but I would like to mention that we have already fixed a technical problem and our guests can surf the web with stable speed. I am sorry for this inconvenience.
Also, it seems that you are not satisfied from the restaurant facilities of our hotel. I would like to inform you that all the products are fresh. Please, during your next stay please ask our maitre to find you a table to our small private balconies for more relaxing moments! Even if you did not like the menu of our pool bar I would recommend you to try our international cocktails and drinks made by our well trained bar tender at the lobby bar.
Regarding the sun beds at the beach area I would like to inform you that the extra charge is due to the reason that is a property of the municipality. Nevertheless, our guests can enjoy the sun by using free of charge the sun beds around the pool areas!
Once again, I would like to warmly thank you for your time writing your experience in regards to your last visit at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa! We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel and offer you our best services!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Excellent and nice hotel ,beautiful beach and nice swimming polls , breakfast very rich ,excellent SPA which you should not miss looking forward to come again very soon very near to the market and shopping areas

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank dalabieh

Dear Mr./Mrs. Dalabieh,
First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience since your last visit in Porto Platanias Beach Resort and Spa.
I am very delighted, that our hotel’s services, facilities and location were so pleasant and makes you feel like coming back soon in Porto Platanias. This is exactly what we are attending to succeed! Our guests leave the hotel with the most beautiful experience.
Thank you once more for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Despina Dimotaki

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed for a week 7th to 14th june. very pleasantly suprised as a gorgeous hotel, cleaner than any i think we have ever stayed in. The room and communal areas were spotless. Staff were very friendly. The location is great just outside the centre of the resort.

We stayed all inclusive which I think is well worth the extra cost as eating and drinking out is quite expensive. The buffet restaurant food was varied and of a good quality. Breakfast lunch and dinner were very good. The view through the large dining room windows is phenomonal.

Our only negative for the whole resort is the single bar for all inclusive use. It is outside next to a swimming pool therefore there is no atmosphere and it would be difficult to talk to other guests. there is a lovely lobby bar at the front of the hotel with indoor and outdoor seating and during our stay was exceptionally quiet. it would be nice if it was perhaps made an adult only bar for paying and all inclusive guests. this would generate more atmosphere therefore encouraging more paying guests to use it and would give all inclusive guests somewhere to get away from the chldren and to be somewhere away from the soulless pool bar. Please dont penalise your all inclusive guests. Its such a shame. Just this one alteration would probably make us revisit.

Room Tip: Higher floors as ground floor rooms can be very dark with no natural light.
4  Thank susie126
Sofia K, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2014

Dear Mrs. Susie126,
Initially, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience as regards your vacations in Platanias.
We appreciate your kind compliments as regards staff, cleanliness and food. It seems that you had a nice stay in our hotel and this is a great pleasure for us! I honestly believe that the all inclusive bar is really atmospheric, due to the fact of the tables facing to the sea. This side of pool bar provides calmness and a feeling of romance because of the sea’s sound and smell. I am really sorry that it could not reach your expectations. We will take into account your advice!
We hope to welcome you soon back in our hotel and provide you our best services. Until then have enjoyable time!
Despina Dimotaki.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel is really good located in Platanias. One very annoying thing is that it is very sensitively between rooms! You can hear everything going on in the rooms next to yours. Otherwise, this is a hotel that offers a lot but there is something missing. Spa section is very nice and offers many different treatments, comfortable such :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Sofia K, General Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Conny P.,

First of all I would like to warmly thank you for spending your time to share your experience during your vacations in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

As I read in your review you are satisfied by most of our services and especially by our sparkling spa facilities. This fact is a great recognition of our daily efforts to maintain the highest standards of service. The only matter that it was uncomfortable during your stay is the soundproofing. I would like to apologize for this inconvenience and to inform you that all the rooms of our hotel are constructed with best quality of soundproofing system. During your next stay, please make a request for a quite room in order to have an even more relaxing time in our resort.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel and offer you our best services!

Kapaki Sofia