“The Place to stay in Crete”

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What can I say. From start to finish I could not fault the resort and staff. I requested a room upgrade and what a room I got... Over looking the beach and a fabulous corner room (room 301) with a balcony.
The SPA is out of this world. Maria was fantastic. We used the SPA on our last day and it was the perfect finish to a great week.
I could not fault the food and Katarina in the restaurant was outstanding.
To name but a few of the staff that made my holiday the best.
Yiannas - Check in
Evegina, Yiannas, Katarina and Anastasia and Alex
If you want a great holiday with great food and nothing a problem this is the place to stay.
Thank you Porto Plantanias for a wonderful stay

Room Tip: Room 301 has the best views and is quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sharon M

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The quality of service at this resort is excellent. Staff are friendly without being overly familiar, very helpful indeed going out of their way to serve guests, and genuinely interested in guests welfare. My room was functional but well maintained and clean. A good experience.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank PARollinson
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a nice hotel with kindly staff. The activities and the leaders of the activities are great, such as stretching, dart, volleyball :-) The cleaning of the room was not the best, i wonder if they wash the floor? Again if it werent for the dart and stretching i would be bored.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Alexandra19990
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Porto Platanias Resort is a great Hotel and Resort. Nice rooms, friendly staff, good buffet meals, nice pool side bar, several nice pools, and about 75 feet from the ocean. The Spa is beautiful with great selection of treatments! An all around great place to holiday on Crete!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mikel911
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in Crete booked through Thomson Holidays. Book direct and forget Thomson. This is a great hotel on the beach and withn 2 minute walk into Platanias itself. Hotel is great for families and peace andf quiet. We found a perfect spot away from the pool which was peaceful and had a great view. Rooms very large and the restaurant food was buffet style help yourself with plenty of choice.
To be honest I like traditional Greek food so we did venture into one of the local restaurants where I satsified my craving for Saganaki, Tyrokafteri and Feta salad.

Would i go again yes!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Melly57
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September 2012 for our Honeymoon.
We arrived in Chania airport thinking that we would be on a smelly transfer coach! However we were met by our rep, who then got us into a nice black Mercedes, which took us on a 30 min drive to the hotel.
The hotel reception was open, light and welcoming

Our room overlooked on of the many pools, there was a nice selection of Greek fruit and a chilled bottle of complementry Proseco. We were also provided with a free voucher for the relaxation suite.

We stayed half board which gave us the opportunity to eat out. From what we could see the food looked very nice and fresh, however it did look the same each night.

We ate in one of the many restaurants just outside the hotel each day.

The pool area's were very clean, prob the cleanest we have seen at any hotel. There were plenty of loungers around the pools, so there's no need for get up early! Something that we did like was the fact there was an adult pool.

We only went to the hotel beach once, as we hired a car and travelled along the coast.
I will say it is worth doing this as there are many nicer beaches on the Island, which are less crowded.

I would say this is a 4 star hotel and we would stay here again.

For us this was the perfect honeymoon destination! We had no issues with the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stuart d
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here for a week in October just before the hotel closed for the season. Not 5 star if you are from the UK but I wouldn't argue with it being a 4 star. I booked this on short notice after Cavo Spada decided to close early for the season and ignore the fact I was booked to go there in 6 days time.

We were in a Maisonette room. Room was ok, small balcony overlooking one of the pools. Room is fairly basic but having an upstairs made it spacious enough. The sofa beds are rock hard - not the best for sleeping on. Lack of English channels on the TV - if you have kids this does matter!

The hotel was reasonably quiet despite the great weather. This meant we never had to wait long to be served or had any problems getting a lounger by one of the many pools. The food was decent - buffets are never brilliant in my experience but the food was fine. Usual mix of meat/fish/pasta along with the traditional selection of cream cakes and weird jelly-type desserts that only countries on the Med serve.

We were all inclusive. Drinks wise this covered pretty much everything which was good (all local spirits). The snacks were a bit poor - pizza and cake things in the morning and pretty rubbish sandwiches/cakes in the afternoon. This was the only thing I thought wasn't very good.

The pools were great and there were some small play parks for the kids too. The beach is right next to the hotel and just for hotel guests. Water is warm and crystal clear - very nice.

Staff were very friendly in my experience. The bar and restaurant staff are quite chatty and friendly. Everyone spoke English.

The guests were mainly German/Scandinavians. I take this is as good sign - if you want sunburnt Brits abroad wearing football tops and one step away from wearing their passport as a fashion accessory this won't be for you.

The spa is really nice and probably more 5 star than the rest of the hotel.

If I had my pick of rooms I'd go for the sea view with the private pool. I can understand the review below about being in a dungeon - the rooms near the main bar on the bottom floor are sort of below pool level so I can imagine they would be dark. I don't think this would be reflective of the rooms and hotel generally.

The local area is the usual collection of bars, restaurants with pictures of the food outside and leather shops. The bus stop for Chania is close by - about 25 minutes on the bus and dead cheap. Would also recommend the little fun train excursions which can pick you up from the hotel.

Overall, I had a really relaxing holiday. It was about 30 every day, blue sky, sunny - ideal for a lazy week in October.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Chris O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
Indigo Mare
Avra Imperial Hotel
Avra Imperial Hotel
#1 of 12 in Kolymbari
Porto Platanias Village Resort

Been to Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!