“Warmest memories!!! Nicest staff!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Platanias
Hague
“Warmest memories!!! Nicest staff!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

We are a family with a 2 year old, and we had a lovely week in this hotel. I wouldn't wish more than we had during this week.
The good (very good) things-
-Wonderful friendly staff in restaurant and bars, including the management- they all are wonderful! Thank you Zafiris, Katerina and others!!!
-Plenty of space by the pools, perhaps because May is still a low season. But there are so many pools on the territory, deep and shallow, with waterfalls, different shapes. Minus was (we thought) that none of the pools were warmed up. My daughter wouldn't mind warmer water.
-Relaxed atmosphere. It feels as if you are there all by yourself, and yet work is being done (invisibly) to make your stay pleasant.
-Room was good, pool view, we had some noise during first night from electricity meter but it was removed the next morning after we reported it in the reception- quick service!
-Missing our holiday and wishing to come back
-Playground for children. My daughter loved the personnel in the restaurant- they played with her and entertained her all the time! Now at home she plays restaurant. :-)
-Food was excellent, variety in the evening, breakfast usually same every morning, of good quality. We enjoyed everything. I was very particluar about food to feed my daughter properly, and cannot complain about the quality or variety. Soup, salads, 3-4 choices of meat and fish, 2-3 choices of rice or potatoes etc, great choice of desserts.
-Beach is very close. Lovely sand, clear water, quiet.
Little minuses-
The room wasn't cleaned properly.
The reception staff was arrogant and not really friendly.
Whatever is at extra cost this cost is very high...

Go there and you will enjoy it. People here discuss 3,4 or 5 stars this hotel is. In my opinion it is about 4 stars generally, 5 star for the staff, pools, beach and food, 3 stars for cleaning services.
As long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter how many stars.
Our holiday in general was 5 stars.
Thanks to the hotel personnel.
I recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Cleaner in the room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarapul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

On the last minute we booked a one week stay last June to celebrate my wife’s 50th birthday - I e-mail the resort beforehand explaining it was my wife birthday - when we arrived they had upgraded us to a suite at no extra cost with a basket of fruit & bottle of wine in the room -On the day of my wife’s birthday there was a large cake with candles awaiting us in our room- nice touch!

Rooms…….. nice & clean with all mod-cons 2-TV -fridge -settee, we had a upstairs bedroom & downstairs living room/bathroom. View wasn’t the best from our balcony, at a pinch you could see the sea!

Staff……… All very nice & helpful, never any unpleasantness.

Pool /Grounds……… very nice, one busy pool, one large pool & one quite pool, all very clean & well decked- out. The hotel looks out onto the seafront.

Food……. we stayed half board & the food was excellent no complaints. Breakfast was well stock with everything you could wish -yogurt & honey is out of this world! Lots of local dishes for dinner. The restaurant has some nice seating areas on outside balconies. Never had lunch but it looked good & was well priced -we had lunch at the taverna next door on the sea front, it was very good.

Bars/Entertainment ……. they tried hard, putting different events on -the main bar was great- good drinks & service & a nice atmosphere.

Location……. Only downside for us was we had to fly into Heraklion from Bristol (no flights to Chania) so we had a 2+hour car journey. However, once at the hotel its in a perfect location -easy access into town with lots of bars/restaurants close by - & next to the beach.
The biggest plus for us- we were only 30miniutes (by car) away from the best beach(keeping it a secret!) in Europe-we made the journey on three occasion.

Would we use the hotel again -most definitely.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank milesfromewood
essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

Beautiful hotel but pot luck on the rooms. My husband and I upgraded to a suite when we booked, as a special treat. I wish we hadn't bothered as it was so dark, due to the dining area looming over our balcony, that we had to have all the lights on when we were in the room. I asked reception to change our room and the girl was quite rude and said there wasn't anything. We viewed a few other rooms but they were really dingy but we finally changed after one week to a smaller but more sunny room. All complimentary extras ceased when we moved, even though we received no refund for the downgrade. Also, our room wasn't cleaned till late afternoon, so any thoughts of a siesta were out of the question.

The guests were mostly Scandinavians and Germans with just a few Brits. The food was good but the dining room was chaos due to understaffing and too many people for the limited dining times. Having said that, the waiting staff worked very hard to accommodate everyone pleasantly and deserve better working conditions.

We booked the holiday through First Choice and the Rep. did all she could to help us but the management were not helpful and I understand that First Choice probably aren't using this hotel in their next brochure. I suspect it will probably end up as a totally Scandi/German hotel.

Mo. Hornchurch

Liked: Hotel situation on beach
Disliked: Management attitude

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank mobaz
Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2007

Just came back from this hotel last night. We (my partner and I) had a great time for our one week’s stay. We did not chose this hotel before we went - we were transferred from another hotel which was very noisy. So I have just sat down and read the TA reviews this morning to see what other people thought and now I must add my comments, as in my opinion it is really not helpful reading the reviews that are over 6 months old.

1.This hotel has been added to in the past year and is effectively 2 hotels next door to each other – Palazzo Porto Platanias and the Plaza di Porto which is now referred to overall as the Porto Platanias Beach Resort.

2.The hotel has 4 pools each surrounded by apartments or rooms that overlook them. Each pool has a pool bar. There are 2 large pools and 2 smaller pools. None of the pools ever seemed very busy (but we were out most of the day between 11am and 6pm).

3.Due to the layout of the hotel we were able to get a quiet room away from the main road through Platanias, away from the back (overlooking the beach road) and away from the dining and entertainment area. My main advice would be to specify when booking what you want most – space, quiet, sea view, pool view etc. They have everything just be clear what you want when you book.

4.Our room was a recently built maisonette. Our bathroom, wardrobes, fridge, sofas, tv and balcony were at first floor level overlooking a pool and the bar to the front of the hotel (which we never heard any disturbance from). We had a little staircase from the lounge area to a bedroom with 2 large single beds pushed together to create a super kingsize bed (6ft x 6ft 6in), dressing table with tv. The bed area had a sliding door that could block off the stairs/downstairs area. The aircon worked efficiently (and could be left on when not in the room). The bed linen seemed to be changed every other day. The bath towels were changed every day. Beach towels need a refundable deposit of 10 euros each and are changed on Wednesdays and Sundays. There is a 13 euros charge for the safe in the room. The fridge is empty for you to fill with your own items or request that it be filled to use as a mini bar.

5.There was only one restaurant in use the first week of September. The main A La Carte restaurant was never used. The roof terrace was not used except for after dinner entertainment.
a.The restaurant that was used is not really big enough for the number of guests at breakfast or dinner. The staff are constantly clearing away tables and resetting them creating a lot of extra work and diverting them from bringing drinks. They all worked very hard especially the main Waiter/sub Maitre d’ whose name began with a Z.
b.The waiters told me that they hope that a new restaurant area will be opened up in the space under the reception area that will be large enough to seat all guests.
c.The food (buffet style) was varied and covered all tastes:
i.Dinner: salads, soups, show grilling of one meat/fish and one vegetable (eg teriyaki zucchini and grilled lamb), breads, cold meats, cheese, 3 x pasta, 5-6 other meat/fish and vegetable dishes, ice cream, pastries, desserts and fruit.
ii.Breakfast: Again buffet style – cereal, breads, pastries, yoghurts, cheese, cold meats, bacon, various eggs, sausages, baked beans, Greek cheese & spinach pies. Tip: Take your own favourite tea bags, waiters bring hot water to you at your table in a tea pot. Ask for zero fat milk so that you don’t get the stuff that’s like evaporated milk.
d.Smoking anywhere in the restaurant was a big shock – my only real negative comment. It does put me off my food. So look out for who has cigarette packets when you choose your table.
e.Wine prices were comparable with any other 4 or 5 star restaurant in the area at 18-30 euros. They can’t be expected to sell at the price of the supermarkets.

6.The beach: we didn’t use it. It looked extremely popular (packed), but if you were prepared to walk further along the beach either way there were endless umbrellas and loungers available. This did not look like a private beach. It looked the same as the public beach areas – but they are all clean and well looked after – but very busy.

7.We hired a car for our week via the travel company and it was delivered and collected from our hotel. My partner loves to drive on the winding mountain roads in Crete, so I navigate him to out of the way sites to visit, via delightful villages and finally to spend time on a quiet beach. Our trips this week were to: Elafonisi lagoon via the coast road and back via the White Mountains, Kastelli-Kissamos (where we caught the lunch time boat via Gramavousa island and the Balos lagoon – it takes fewer people than the 10am departure), Soughia, Frangekastello via the Imbros Gorge and return via Rethimnon, and finally Kollimbari/Afrata bay.

The hotel has a large private carpark opposite the hotel. A 20 euros deposit for electronic access is required. Otherwise plenty of parking in the road.

To finish:
This was our 4th visit to Crete and we had driven through the Platanias/Agia Marina area on previous visits. It is really the sort of place that we would normally drive through and avoid like crazy as it is so busy and touristy – not us. We would never have chosen this hotel knowing where it was. However, we were given the chance to look at our room before changing hotels and we said yes straightaway. It is such a rabbit warren of corridors and rooms and pools and bars etc that there is sure to be some part of it that will appeal. We are pleased we stayed and would use it again.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, modern. great all round,
  • Disliked — Small bath, busy area
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank mapreaderGQ
Athens
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

It is unbeleivable that this property is officialy a 5* resort. Everything there was dissapointing.Not even one moment I felt welcomed there. I booked directly with the hotel and that was a mistake. I paid 170 euros per day for a double room with a sea view ( accomodation and breakfast only , 21-23 August 2007 ). When I returned I realized that I could have get the rate of 160 euros if I had booked with a travel agent and this rate included dinner as well.
Breakfast: it was ok, the only thing in the hotel above average, but service was awful. Unpleaseant, arrogant waiters . It was so obvious that they hate their job. The first morning none came to serve as coffee. I had to argue with 3 waiters and finally coffee was served after we had finished breakfast. Unexcusable even for a 2* property.
Beach: It's public and you have to pay 8 euros for 2 sunbeds and 1 umbrella. It's a good idea to skip it. There are other wonderful beaches at Chania that offer free umbrellas ( you have only to pay for a coffee or drink ).
Rooms: I was "privileged" to have a room with a sea view. it was ok, clean with a nice plasma flat TV, but it was very small and certainly not a 5* accomodation. Some rooms with pool view ( they encounter an area which is like a court yard in a prison ) are literally at the basement and are awful.
Staff: The only friendly person I encountered was a lovely young lady at the reception. Some were rude ( especially a gentleman at the front desk ), most had an air of uncertainty and service was uneven. Management was extremely unprofessional, especially a lady who used to argue loudly with the maids in front of guests.
Service: Extremely slow, it took me 1 hour to check in and 45 minutes to check out. It was obvious that number of staff could not accomodate the number of 600 guests.
Conclusion: Certainly not a 5* property ( 3* at the most ) and not even worth the 170 euros per night ( which is a reasonable amount for a 5* resort during August at a famous island like Crete in Greece). Guests who are accustomed to luxurious accomodation and respectful service will be highly dissapointed with this resort. There are other hotels in Platanias ( more expensive and not exactly 5* as well ) but certainly better than this mess
Thanks for your time to read my review

• Liked — breakfast is above average
  • Disliked — rude, arrogant staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

As a regular reader of holiday review sites I felt it was time to add my own review.Having spent a lovely two weeks at this hotel three years ago my husband,12 year old son and I could'nt wait to return again this year.
Oh how different we found it.It has grown in size, about three times bigger and this hasn't improved the overall character of the hotel.Unfortunately the dining room hasn't grown with it and can't cope with the number of guests and the food was poor,not enough choice and often cold.
We booked with First Choice ,the large family room we were expecting and payed for, never materialised instead we were squashed into a twin room which we had to make the best of.
All in all not good enough when you work hard and so look foreward to your summer holiday.
The resort itself has grown, noticably more crowded than in 04 , the pavements and trying to cross the road eeven more problematic than in 04.
Both the hotel and the resort appears to be geared toward Scandinavians and Germans, more than Brits.
I hope you will find this helpfull,I think it is important to give honest reviews .

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Dining
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank elainefisher31
Thessaloniki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

We spent at Porto Platanias beach resort the most relaxing and wonderful week! The hotel is amazing with a breath-taking view to the sea, clean blue flag beach, many swimming pools, the most delicious food at the restaurant and the coolest hotel bar to have a drink! The personnel was very polite and happy to be at our services. We spent the most of our time in the hotel. It was the best vacation ever at Chania!

• Liked — Clean and cozy room, clean beach, swimming pool, excellent service, delicious food
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
Cretan Dream Royal
#5 of 69 in Platanias
Minoa Palace Resort & Spa
Minoa Palace Resort & Spa
#1 of 69 in Platanias

Been to Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!