“Luxury”

Hotel Landhaus Wachtelhof
Reviewed June 8, 2013

One of my favourite hotels in the world. a lovely old building tucked away in a pretty corner, with small but well-kept gardens and a river in the grounds. Every room I have had was luxurious, comfortable, spotlessly clean and well decorated. There is usually a gift in the room, of wine or fruit. The room rate is reasonable for the standard, and the staff just like hotel staff should be. Free access to the therapy rooms in the basement. Breakfast is wonderfully varied, and worth lingering over. At night there is often a pianist in the bar. The restaurant is world-class but expensive, however there are many good places to eat in the town which is within walking distance.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert H

Reviewed August 1, 2011

On our way from Norway to Italy we stayed here for one night, Though we arrived very late (11pm). The staff at the front desk was polite and helpful, but seemed reserved towards us. We had to fill out a long form before we could check in, with all information they could think of. They asked us to pay up front, which is fine, it just felt like they were going the extra mile to protect themselves from us. We were a little exited and told them that this was the first night of our honeymoon, but they didnt even answer. Next morning there was a different person in the reception, who was much nicer! :)

The room was very nice! it was large and had a very nive bathroom with both a big shower and a bath tub. We found it a little confusing that there were little notes for us to read on the bathroom, on the table, on the desk, by the bed, but non of them in English. So we didn't dare touch anything there, although some of it looked like compliments to the guests. They had a big folder of information on the desk, but not in English. It would be nice to at least have a copy by the front desk that they could give to guests that speak English when checking in.

Since we checked in late we didnt make it to breakfast, and neither to the swimming pool or dinner. But the garden was very nice! Almost worth the stay alone. And they had lots of room for parking.

Overall we were happy with the stay, good location, beautiful building and garden, but the staff didnt feel welcoming .

Room Tip: We had a room towards the garden - recommended!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kdannevig
Reviewed June 30, 2011

A bit off the beaten tourist track, but handy for Scandinavians migrating south and western travellers heading east, the Wachtelhof is an oasis of charm offering first class comfort, an outstanding wellness area and a kitchen as yet under-rated by the established gourmet guides. It is also handy retreat for Bremen and Hamburg visitors with a car.
The hotel staff are naturally friendly and the welcome throughout the hotel comes from the heart not a customer satisfaction rulebook.
Conspicuous too is the remarkable attention to detail in the hotel's endeavours to make their guests feel at home - whether it's the serviette rings on the dining tables in the form of a quail (quail is the translation of Wachtel) or providing a couple of clothes pegs in the bathroom for hanging up wet swimming apparel.
The hotel is enterprising and imaginative when it comes to promotional events which, maybe, one day could also include hotel management seminars for less well run establishments. Viator Coloniae

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lovely rear garden
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The Wachtelhof is a great place to disappear for a few days and be pampered. The hotel is small and cozy, luxurious in a classic and comforting way, and has state of the art spa and wellness to offer. The service is impeccable, and yet very personal and familiar.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The town of Rothenburg Wümme has not that much to offer to visitors so that the hotel is located quite a walk outside the centre does not really matter. It is a truly 5-star hotel a bit more on the formal side and a bit plushy nevertheless it has very good romms sptless clean and with all amenities you need with imo very comfortable beds and the staff has always proven to be friendly and helpful. The spa contains a s surprisingly big swimming pool and a small sauna and they do offer a lot of arrangements. It is a wonderful stop on your way to northern Germany for a relaxing stay since it is also very quiet. Try to take advantage of the special offers they have for normal prices they are a bit on the expensive side.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Florian254
Reviewed September 3, 2010

This lovely hotel is about one hour by train from Hamburg. I enjoyed a few days here and must say that I have never experienced such pleasant, professional staff. The rooms are very comfortable and the hotel has a large, inviting spa area where you can easily spend the day. It unfortunately otherwise lacks common rooms; a separate lounge or library would have been nice.

The breakfast buffet is vast and even though I stumbled into the breakfast room 15 minutes before they were due to close I was treated as if I were the best thing that had ever happened to the staff, they were incredibly friendly despite my tardiness.

I was less impressed with the restaurant; not to say that the food was bad, it was ok but I have had much better. I ordered a 5 course menu and for some reason each course was served by a different waiter. A low point was when I was served skate wing, which tasted horrid (it was not fresh). I must have grimaced as a waiter come over to ask if everything was ok. They took my skate back and I got to choose an alternative course - but the chef did not bother to come out, I was offered nothing to compensate (a glass of bubbly would have done the trick) and didn't get a real apology - I would have expected more than that.

In a nutshell, this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in and I would go there again. The hotel spa is lovely and inviting. While the staff is fantastic, I was not impressed by the food but can only speak for the Jardin Noblesse restaurant. But the rest of my experience was so good that I would be willing to give the restaurant another try.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2006

Wonderful, simply delightful, anytime again. Well managed. Great service.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank country_girl_usa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotenburg (Wumme)
Hotel am Pferdemarkt
#2 of 6 in Rotenburg (Wumme)
Hotel Landgut Stemmen
#1 of 1 in Stemmen
Heidejaeger Hotel
#5 of 6 in Rotenburg (Wumme)
Das Stadtidyll Hotel
#3 of 6 in Rotenburg (Wumme)
Hotel MyLord
#5 of 14 in Soltau
Bahnhofsvorstadt
elements pure FENG SHUI CONCEPT HOTEL

Been to Hotel Landhaus Wachtelhof? Share your experiences!