A difficult review to write - not because it's bad or critical. But because I don't really want the place to become so popular that it makes it hard to get a booking in future years. Here are some of the thing's I really don't want to say:
- the hosts are genuinely open and friendly and want you to treat the place as your home.
- the chalet is very well appointed. Bedrooms are spotlessly clean with more than enough storage space (as is the rest of the chalet). How often can you say that about French resort rooms. The outside hot tub is excellent. The boot warmers were more than welcome. Really good size changing area to get into your ski gear. Lounge area excellently laid out for socialising. Smallish beer fridge and stock of wine available as an honesty bar.
- food is exactly what you want from a ski chalet. Self service breakfast with a warm / hot option from the kitchen (usually eggs or fresh cooked pastries). Tea / coffee and cake for when you get back from the slopes. Then a good quality hearty evening meal with plenty of wine. No pretencious messing around with your food here - best described as good, honest hearty food. Perfect fuel for the slopes.
- ski guiding is superb. We had two full days out on the slopes with Alasdair - the 2nd day was a full tour of the entire area. Slept really well that night.
- Alasdair / Emilie can't do enough to make your trip as perfect as it can be. Includes visits to the local mirco brewery (if there's time between slopes and evening meal), offers of lifts into town - even on their 'night off' etc. etc. Great example of delivering more than should be expected.
Location is also perfect. Was a bit concerned about the out of town location and lack of ski-in / ski-out when booking this chalet. But, with the door to lift minibus service to any of the lifts in the Chatel ski area, as well as pick up service from any of the Chatel lifts at the end of the day, this might as well be ski-in ski-out. In fact it's better - you still get the door to lift feeling, but get the peace and quiet of the out of town location as well. There's also a free bus service into town during the day and The Tunnel Bar gives lifts back at night if needed(just tip the driver).
There are places you go to where you think you might come back one day, but you never do as there's always somewhere new to try. With this place it's a 'you know you will be back again'. It's excellent, but please, now stop giving good reviews otherwise it will be the worst kept secret in Chatel !
An excellent week's skiing holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owner run independent luxury catered chalet in Chatel offering great value ski holidays and fully catered mountain bike adventures in the Portes Du Soleil. Free transfers,Open fire, wifi, hot tub and much more. ... more less