“Comfortable and Close to Roussillon”

Hotel Les Sables d'Ocre
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Roussillon
Livermore, California
“Comfortable and Close to Roussillon”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel is a short distance out of Roussillon with ample & safe private parking. The staff was friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel isn't fancy or pretentious and there is no elevator but the room was spacious and clean and included free internet service. After a long day of walking and touring, we opted to dine in the hotel's restaurant. The meal was delicious and the price was reasonable. We were delighted and charmed watching the multi-hued orbs in and around the grounds. Our stay was more enjoyable than stays in pricier hotels with more stars to their names. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Temuskia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Given it's a two star hotel my expectations weren't high, but I was perfectly happy with the hotel for an overnight stopover, and Roussillon is a very pretty small town. The rooms are abit 'strange' in terms of their layout, with a mezzanine floor with two single beds, presumably for use by children whilst the adults sleep in the double bed downstairs. Didn't have any refreshment at the hotel or use the pool so can't comment on the facilities. Staff were efficient.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Gotzens, Austria
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Plus: well, the hotel's location is a good one, the garden is pretty (the light globes are terrribly kitsch)and the swimming pool nice. Breakfast was ok for Euro 10,-- so was dinner.

Contra: rooms are tiny and dark, two or even only lamp more would help a lot.

Very Contra: I think there not many persons who travelled as much than I do and I know all 5 continents. For me is the behavior of the staff one of the most important things in a hotel.
But in this hotel I felt unwanted and treated very unpolite. It started at the very beginning, I arrived half an hour to early for check in at 3 p.m. but an other guest told me to go in there would be somewhere. I aplogised and told the gentleman that I have just arrived and would like to check in but I also could wait another 30 minutes. He informed me in loud and rude manner that checking in is never before 3 pm because rooms have to be made and people are leaving very late. I myself work with tourists and know about this but he could have told me this in a nice way but this was not the way how this gentleman treated his customers I assume!
When he asked me how long I would like to stay I had to think a bit and he meant I could leave sooner without any problems - my reservations was for 5 days.
They have been informed that my dog is travelling with me but he was not wanted either - Euro 8,-- the day only for sleeping. The chamber maid the next day was looking very sharp if she can find some stains on the bed sheets caused by my dog and told me then she has to change the sheets now because the dog slept on the bed! (My dog never sleeps on the bed and carry an big kennel for that purpose.)
One morning I asked for the way to Bonnieux and the charming gentleman answered: "Just take the road!" and was smiling to the public. Thank you very much!
The waiter who served dinner was the only person in this hotel who was really friendly and I really hope he will not learn the snobbish way of the receptionist.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank HeidiPi
Montpellier, France
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Perfectly located, at only 10 minutes by feet from the center of Roussillon, as well as from the starting point of the famous "Sentier des ocres". We choose it as our base to visit all main attractions and villages of the zone (Gordes, the lovely Venasque and Senanque Abbey reachable in 15/20 minutes by car).

We stayed in a very good-seized and clean room, with a lovely terrace in front of it equipped with a couple of comfortable sunbeds to enjoy - when the sun is high - the lavander's parfume and the cicadas singing all around, and - when the sun goes down - the refreshing breeze coming from Luberon mountains, in pleasant company with crickets.

The staff is really kind and they really make you feeling a special guest.

Definitely it'll be a pleasure to come back in this hotel for future trips in this beautiful region.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paolo_Ch
Oslo
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Beautiful garden and pool. We really liked the round lamps in the trees! Very quiet rooms. A hotel with personality, much thanks to the funny and friendly staff!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed at Les Sables d'Ocre as a part of a The Chain Gang cycle tour. The hotel doesn't have that historic set like the others we stayed during our way around Provence, but this place is very well appointed, clean, with a really nice pool area and garden.
The fact that the hotel is about 20 minute walk from the city is not bad since you've been cycling all day long.
I would definitely stay here again, even traveling by myself.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed here as part of a self-guided cycling holiday, so it was convenient for our route, and Rousillon itself is a lovely village. The hotel is on the outskirts, and is a modern building with beautiful gardens and pool. The rooms were very average however, felt rather like going back in time. Not particularly big rooms, and the beds were rather small and old. It was very clean however, and the standard of the rooms is reflected in the cheaper price tag. It felt rather like staying in someone's home downstairs, and a Travelodge upstairs. The owners were friendly, with v limited English. Breakfast was pleasant; there is no restaurant for the evenings - although there are lots of nice places to eat in the main village of Rousillon, which is about a 15 minute walk away.

• Liked — Garden and pool setting
  • Disliked — Rooms in need of an update.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roussillon
Le Clos de la Glycine
La Maison des Ocres
La Maison des Ocres
#5 of 6 in Roussillon
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches

Been to Hotel Les Sables d'Ocre? Share your experiences!