All reviews michelin star main course special offer overlooking the garden huge bathroom on arrival first floor no lift wonderful hotel separate shower dressing table one star delicious meal oysters spoke good english amuse bouche stayed for one night
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Chateau de Montreuil is situated in the midst of a very pretty, old fashioned and quite sleepy little town. I should imagine it is more 'happening' in a chic, understated sort of way during the summer but I think we just missed the 'season' - not that it mattered!

The house (I'm not sure where chateau came from) is delightful and feels like an elegant, Edwardian family home with lovely gardens and attentive staff. My only criticism is that that the swimming pool is very small and quite exposed on the rear terrace....not the hotel for you if you like to do energetic lengths in the morning.

Our rooms were small but cute and well-furnished.....on the ground floor so there was a lovely. outside terrace on which you could read or write letters. Probably not the largest or prettiest bathroom but perfectly adequate.

But now for the main event....dinner! It was superb and beautifully served in a light, sophisticated and airy dining room-thescent of decades of satisfied diners filled the air. In the brochure it rather sweetly says words to the effect that it doesn't matter what you wear for dinner as long as you enjoy the food - we did!

Amuse-bouche was tuna tartare with a strawberry sauce and a sliver of white strawberry-very good. First course was fried fois gras with a rhubarb compote (which I actually thought rather overpowered the fois gras) The most delicious first course (which one of my friends' had) was crayfish ravioli and a STUNNING crayfish and lemon grass consume. My main course was contrafilet of Aberdeen Angus (though interestingly from the USA-don't know why) in a beer sauce which was perfectly cooked and delicious (incidently I had the bread sauce from my neighbour's grouse which was fabulous and full of nutmeg and went wonderfully with beef) The best pudding was the souffle which looked and tasted amazing and yet again we had dollops of sauce-were the waiters giving us extra sauce because we were so enthusiastically downing them?

Do stay here if you want utter understated and sophisticated perfection....can I say more?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

A really beautiful hotel with really luxurious rooms.

Rather pricey and the €48 charge to park 4 motorcycles in the yard was quite simply a blatant rip-off and the hotel management really ought to think about the message this sends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank seangriffin
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Affordable luxury. Wow what a place. Beautiful serene, peaceful, luxurious. Great service, fabulous rooms the best location in town. We spent a very very wonderful night there. The breakfast was top class. I'll definately be back

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fitbiker
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here as a fantastic last night of a brilliant holiday. Having visited back in 1995 we knew this place was special and it continued to live up to expectations on our revisit.
We stayed in one of the two storey cottages which accommodated the three of us just perfectly. Upstairs, the bed was as big as Gloucestershire and canopied, of course. Large windows with semi circular seats were special. Downstairs there's a large sitting area with woodburner and a single bed under stairs (no mention of Harry potter here) for our son. The only downside in the room was that the hot water tank was completely empty after one bath. Otherwise, attention to detail was unsurpassed.

The restaurant is very special, with a menu that many might think to be "challenging". The food is truly exceptional, the braver you are, the better it is. The service is very starchy though and in this day and age we found it took itself a little bit too seriously.

Chateau de Montreuil is truly magnificent but it is ruinously expensive. The pricing is simply epic, and whilst the accommodation is merely "pricey", everything else is priced in elephantine proportions. Don't get me wrong, we'll certainly be returning this beautiful, delightful and charming establishment, but it may just take us another 17 years to save up.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have just been back to the Chateau de Montreuil after a gap of 20 years. My husband and I first went 20 years ago with our three-week old first-born son for a quiet break. This time we took our 16-year-old second son and our two dogs. Why did we wait so long? We have missed out. What a glorious place, better even than we remembered. The setting, gardens and rooms are stunning, the restaurant so very stylish, with an elegance that owes everything to French tradition, attention to detail and passionate commitment to offering customers the very best. And the food has got even better: light, innovative and perfectly balanced. As for the breakfast, the finest croissants, homemade preserves and excellent coffee - utterly perfect.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family